Tranquilizer gun for cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

f4leggin

Reaction score
has anyone used this on cattle? After spending a day trying to round up the 1 bull calf I missed when I put everyone into the pen (in preparation for weaning) - I kept thinking I needed to shoot him - preferably with a tranquilizer and not a bullet - although veal (which I have never eaten) was a thought in my mind.

They aren't that expensive - and this was a case where it would have been really helpful. I think he wanted to go into the pen with his Mom, he just kept panicing when I would get him cornered in preparation for sneaking him in. I t didn't help that it was just me (didn't even have the dogs to help) - I think with a few more people I could have done it. So... The gun was a nice thought - just wondering if they work on cattle or if it's just a stupid idea.

Jill

I think maybe you should have let his mama, or another quiet cow out with him and then brought them in together. We often have calves that get back on us when we are bringing the herd in. If they are real difficult to bring in on their own, we will let a quiet cow out with them. They usually come in pretty easily when they have a cow to follow, even if it isn't mama. Buying a tranq gun, I doubt would be worth the money, unless you have some really wild cattle.

I had to use one on a steer one time it had got quills in its nose we had to pull out. Worked good other than the vet must have made the dose of meds to high because he was out longer than expected.

c farmer":2a3bg8aw said:
I had to use one on a steer one time it had got quills in its nose we had to pull out. Worked good other than the vet must have made the dose of meds to high because he was out longer than expected.

Contrary to popular believe, tranqing isn;t a perfect science. I've seen big cows drop like they'ld been shot and smaller animals take 4-5 darts to even slow them down.

If the animal is already worked up and agitated they are very hard to put down and will get dangerous.

I once had to deal with some outlaws and had one, but those were real head case animals and would hurt you.

Like someone else said, I would evalutae my catch procedure a little bit better before trying to buy a chemical remedy.

Give the herd a bag of cubes once in a while so that they like seeing you. If I need to catch my herd I will cube em a couple of times before the working day and usually they will come to call by the time I need to work em.

I have a tranqulizer gun,I catch wild, crazy,and rough cows for 3 different stockyards. The guns aren't to expensive,it's the darts and the meds that are expensive.I been catching alot of heavy cows lately,with weigh cows bringing so good.If you get a cow excited the meds will run through them like water.Every cow is different, like in humans.One type of meds, might knock me out cold, and not affect you at all. It affects cows the same way.There's more to tranqulizeing cows than most think.

We had to use one at my grandfathers place to get a wild cow in the pens to take her to the sale barn. I feel sorry for whoever bought her.

f4leggin":3fyrf28d said:
has anyone used this on cattle? After spending a day trying to round up the 1 bull calf I missed when I put everyone into the pen (in preparation for weaning) - I kept thinking I needed to shoot him - preferably with a tranquilizer and not a bullet - although veal (which I have never eaten) was a thought in my mind.

They aren't that expensive - and this was a case where it would have been really helpful. I think he wanted to go into the pen with his Mom, he just kept panicing when I would get him cornered in preparation for sneaking him in. I t didn't help that it was just me (didn't even have the dogs to help) - I think with a few more people I could have done it. So... The gun was a nice thought - just wondering if they work on cattle or if it's just a stupid idea.

Jill

No, I can't say that we've ever tranquilized an animal for round-up purposes. You know how Ace can make some horses even faster, and more accurate with their kicks? Using a tranquilizer on cattle under stress can be a bit of a challenge, because the adrelinin tends to negate the tranquilizer. All things considered, I believe I would work on my cattle handling skills if I were you - it's just a lot safer, for you and your cattle.

Thanks for the replys and no I didn't buy one. Yes, working on round up skills. Rounded up all cattle yesterday and got the calf in with the everybody - today we will seperate him and hopefully get him in with the other calves - and I have help coming which should make all the difference in the world.
Jill

for those who have used it on older cows for rounding up purposes, after you shot her what'd you do? surely you wouldn't drag her, but that's about the only thing I can think of to move a 1200 pound dead weight cow.

1st you need to be a good judge of weight.I never knock one slap out. To many bad things can happen.I shoot them with enough to idol them GOOD.Slip up behind them put 2 ropes on them,tie the cow or bull to a tree,ect.When you pull the trailer up close to the cow,they'll get up and stumble to the end of the rope and fall,stretched out.I'll grab the nose with nose tongs and pull,and put a super duty halter the amish made for me on her(when possible). Run 1 rope through the back trailer and out the escape door.Tie the other rope off to the trailer, incase the pulling rope breaks or the halter breaks.Hotstick and pull,till she walks on.It's not as easy as it sounds.It gets harry at times.

You can kill an excited cow pretty quick with a tranq gun. Even if they get knocked out, they can over-heat very quickly. That's why most vets don't use them. Cubes are cheaper and safer. I have considered buying a dart gun for vaccinations, though.

Overheating and Bloat are the 2 biggest factors against you. I catch alot of cattle for people that don't need a dog much less cows. Cityslickers and such.

I have messed with it a little and everything Oscar says Is right in my experience.It's pretty tricky to figure out how wound up they are so you can get the right dose.

Have never used to tranq a cow but always use for my vaccinations. Cattle don't even notice it and the dart falls out after about 20 minutes so you can retrieve it. Have a treatment chute and headgate but this is so much easier.

I just bought a tranq gun. I have used it to doctor sick calves out in the pasture.it works well for me. I don't have to chase the calf all over the place to get it in to doctor it. A big time saver for me.

Latest posts