Limousin vs Gelbvieh vs Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

John Jacob

Reaction score
If you were only going to raise one of these three breeds as purebreds, which one would you go with?

Breed selection also depends on your location geographically, also.

Looking at the Simms are looking @ black or the orginal?

I cannot find much fualt with any of them. I guess you also need to dtermine what you plan on doing, seed stock, cow calf, commercial for terminal crossing?
:welcome:

Im from southern OK. And i like the traditional simms. And i am mainly thinking terminal for the most part. I guess i should throw in charolais as well?

for terminal charolais for the extra frame and growth, maternal id say gelbvieh for less frame and more calving ease and milk

Purebred simmental have the largest avg mature cow size per MARC. Larger than char, limo, gelbvieh, Angus , hereford, shorthorn.

All 3 breeds youve listed are continentals and should be suited for same environment.

Personal preference, I'd go with red gelbviehs.

Massey135":41vsn8ag said:
Purebred simmental have the largest avg mature cow size per MARC. Larger than char, limo, gelbvieh, Angus , hereford, shorthorn.

All 3 breeds youve listed are continentals and should be suited for same environment.

Personal preference, I'd go with red gelbviehs.

I agree and in a day or two i will show you why!

I would go with Simmy if you want to breed purebred only because show stock always want purebred simmy to breed to main, chi, ect.
But in my opinion I would get some purebred cows of char and simmy, and breed them to a purebred simmy bull, get some pretty calves from that mix.
Like this 1/2and1/2
full-16045-92164-090.jpg

and her 3/4 sim bull calf
full-16045-92165-036.jpg

Across breed epd valuees gives the growth advantages to chars but there are outstanding as well as lackluster bulls in every breed that will throw breed averages out the window.

John Jacob":f8jmqk91 said:
If you were only going to raise one of these three breeds as purebreds, which one would you go with?

So if we knew where you are located it would help.

Massey135":ygk6rs6n said:
houstoncutter":ygk6rs6n said:
If I was in the north or midwest it would be gelbvieh, down south like i am it would be fullblood Limousin.

Please explain and elaborate.
GV milk better than Limms as a breed on average. In the south an average to below average milker can pay dividends to the bottom line as energy requirements are directly linked to milk. While in some areas of the south grass like Bermuda is plentiful, it is a poor quality grass for other areas nutritionally. Ranchers in the mid tier of states tho able to grow some varieties of Bermuda like the cold hardy Midland 99, choose not to because it doesn't stack up to other options like some varieties of fescu which have a better nutritional value than Bermuda even in its dormant state, thus supporting a better milking cow. When you get out of the south Bermuda is considered a weed. I ain't HC but that would be my reasoning.

I think John said something about Southern OK. 3way. John Jacob if you are interested in Limousin cattle, you would not have to look very far for breeders. There is a bunch of Limousin breeders in OK.

Some of the best milking lines of limousin cattle came from down in Houstons neck of the woods Isom. That said you have a good handle on Houstons line of thought i think>

Isomade":1nbox6lh said:
Massey135":1nbox6lh said:
houstoncutter":1nbox6lh said:
If I was in the north or midwest it would be gelbvieh, down south like i am it would be fullblood Limousin.

Please explain and elaborate.
GV milk better than Limms as a breed on average. In the south an average to below average milker can pay dividends to the bottom line as energy requirements are directly linked to milk. While in some areas of the south grass like Bermuda is plentiful, it is a poor quality grass for other areas nutritionally. Ranchers in the mid tier of states tho able to grow some varieties of Bermuda like the cold hardy Midland 99, choose not to because it doesn't stack up to other options like some varieties of fescu which have a better nutritional value than Bermuda even in its dormant state, thus supporting a better milking cow. When you get out of the south Bermuda is considered a weed. I ain't HC but that would be my reasoning.

In an area of poor quality roughage, you better have an animal that has the ability to produce some milk or you'll end up with no milk at all. I want no part of average or below milkers around here.

Red Bull Breeder":qrdzrnzn said:
In a area of poor quality forage to much milk will teach you a few lessons.
Ain't that the truth. If she finishes the year in a bcs 3 and doesn't breed back it don't matter if you got a 800 pound calf from her last year. $EN is the most overlooked EPD and has more to do with profit than all the rest.

Red Bull Breeder":17zsqanj said:
In a area of poor quality forage to much milk will teach you a few lessons.
Why is the south being associated w/ poor quality forage?

Ideally, the cow's milk production will fluctuate with the quality of nutrition. If the cow is not breeding back, more times its a fertility issue not a conditioning issue. No need for the cow to be in a bcs 6 to be in good enough condition to breed back. The avg commercial cow needs more milk. Nothin worse than a fat cow w/ no milk.

Latest posts