What are you eating today?

Post your favorite recipes or get help with a cooking problem here.
1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: What are you eating today?

Postby 1982vett » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Get a wire brush after that grate, then put some bacon on it to season it... :D
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:06 pm

1982vett wrote:Get a wire brush after that grate, then put some bacon on it to season it... :D

Glad you brought that up Vette. It’s worth mentioning, as a lot of people read this thread, that I quit using a wire brush to clean my grill after two, yes two, different people I know got an infection in their gut from wires that had broken off the brush and subsequently ingested during the meal. Both had surgery and one lost part of her colon. Probably just a freak happening and more than likely not worth worrying about but I figured I’d mention it. I use a handful of damp paper towels or an old rag these days. :tiphat:
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:45 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
1982vett wrote:Get a wire brush after that grate, then put some bacon on it to season it... :D

Glad you brought that up Vette. It’s worth mentioning, as a lot of people read this thread, that I quit using a wire brush to clean my grill after two, yes two, different people I know got an infection in their gut from wires that had broken off the brush and subsequently ingested during the meal. Both had surgery and one lost part of her colon. Probably just a freak happening and more than likely not worth worrying about but I figured I’d mention it. I use a handful of damp paper towels or an old rag these days. :tiphat:

My sister-in-law got me one of the wooden grate cleaners a few years ago. My wife insists that it is all I use now. But it does work.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 am

I had this thing looking really good before it was ever set, but I didn't have a cover for it. Rained on it a few times and now it looks like I hardly touched it. I had a SS cover made for it and just picked it up around lunch yesterday. Yes, I just cleaned the one spot last night and will hit the rest later.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:36 am

JMJ Farms wrote:

To tell the truth, I don’t use a wire brush either. My grill usually has to much fat residue so that if a wire broke off it could stick and become embedded in some food.
But to season this grill I’d probably start with a wire brush then a scoring pad to “shine” it up a bit. Rinse it off real good, dry it, oil it and cook some bacon on it then keep it hot for a few hours. Suppose you could just keep oiling it when it looks dry but bacon has its reward. :nod:
My bad for leaving a little info out. :D

A wet rag works good to if you get your grill heated up good. Makes for a nasty rag the wife hates, but it is a way to get rid of old dingy kitchen towels other than making them shop towels.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 am

This grill is the only appliance I retained from my catering kitchen, which I shut down in '10, I believe. When we drug this out of storage the grates were in really bad shape. I used a wire wheel brush on my drill to get it back in shape. I then soaked the grates in cooking oil for a few days before we got to the point where I could fire it back up. When it rained a couple of times the rust showed back up. It's just surface stuff and is easily knocked down with a wire brush and a oil soaked rag. I was just a little lazy last night and I knew I was only going to use the center two burners. Now that I have the cover I'll regroup and make her look right. I'm not much on using the wire brush either, but that's about all I can do in this case.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:39 am

Oops overfilled the pie crust

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:53 am

skyhightree1 wrote:Oops overfilled the pie crust

Since you ruined that one, I will take it off your hands for no charge. :D
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:14 am

sstterry wrote:

I couldn't do that to you.. I must eat my mess :D
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:20 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
sstterry wrote:

Just trying to help out, because that is the way I am....... :tiphat:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:21 am

sstterry wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
sstterry wrote:

Just trying to help out, because that is the way I am....... :tiphat:

I understand Your the best .. would you like to help pick some pears :D
1 x

Return to “Recipes and Cooking”