Tranquilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky

Reaction score
Had a neighbor call tonight with a horse problem. They have a horse that is a little wild and it got into some chains and wire and has it around it's neck and head and they can't catch it. They asked me about using traquilizer in a dart from a gun. The medicine is rompum or Xylazine. I have used it on cattle, but never on horses. I understand that it is a horse tranquilizer in the first place. Two questions....Is it safe and effective? How much do you give the horse? With cattle it is 1/2 cc per hundred pounds but all cattle react differently, so sometimes it is more and sometimes it is less. How about horses? They want me to come over and shoot it in the morning so they can get the metal off before it hurts itself.
Thanks

You need a lot more in a horse. Usual strength for cattle is 20mg/ml, they make a 100mg/ml for horses and of the stronger stuff you need 1ml to 220lbs. They won't go down and stay fairly active can be real touchy around back legs.
It is best used in combo with an opioid or ketamine.
Ken

UPDATE What I have is 100 strength mg/ml. I gave him 8cc and he shot the horse with my dart gun. It did not knock the horse out, but it got it calm enough to get a rope on long enough to get the chain off and the horse is doing fine. Thanks

Latest posts