How To Make A Rope Halter

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the board, but I think I will enjoy it here. :) We have always had commercial cattle but have just decided to get into Purebred Red Angus. Not that we are getting rid of any of commercial herd, this is just an expansion into a different area. Anyhow, I would like to learn how to make a couple of rope halters for those growing stages where the heifers don't fit the nylon cow halters we have. Unfortunately being 30 I don't think I can join 4-H and have them teach me. :p
Anyone know how or can provide me with a website that has the information?
Thanks and have a great day. :D

Welcome, Victoria! If you find any cow-specific instructions, please share with us here, too! We also raise Red Angus--glad to have another like-minded person on the boards!

It's been about 20 years since I made any rope halters. Wish I could remember how. I just buy them anymore. Valley Vet Supply has a pretty good price ordering them online. What I used to like about making them myself was the ability to make some with extra long leads for breaking calves to lead. Easier to catch them. If you find the web site, I'd like to know how to do it again also.
Greg

It's been about 20 years since I made any rope halters. Wish I could remember how. I just buy them anymore. Valley Vet Supply has a pretty good price ordering them online. What I used to like about making them myself was the ability to make some with extra long leads for breaking calves to lead. Easier to catch them. If you find the web site, I'd like to know how to do it again also.
Greg

Welcome to the boards Victoria!

I'm with Cherokee on this one.. I bet they're a lot cheaper to buy then to make. If you have any county fairs or large livestock shows in your area, check out the show equipment trailers on the grounds. They always have a bunch of the adjustable nylon rope halters. I think the last ones I bought were less than $5.00. Plus they come in all different colors! :lol:

cherokeeruby: I checked out the websites, thanks for posting them. I am going to call the store and find out what shipping is to Canada. I loved that the other website has a special heading for those that are "knot challenged" as I am sure that will be me! :lol:

fellersbarnoneranch: I've already put out a few posts trying to help others too. I am glad I found this board. I know I will be using it to increase my knowledge and I hope I can contribute to others as well. Red Angus really was the only way to go.

Greg: Looks like we got a website. So if mine doesn't work maybe you can read up on how to do it and send me one??!! :lol:

TheBullLady: Thanks for the welcome.:) I live in Alberta Canada fairly close to Calgary so I am certain I could pick some up next summer at the Stampede. I just was looking for something right now and none of our local stores stock these halters but the hardware store does have rope! I would like to try to make one anyway really, for some reason it just seems like a useful skill to have. Wow, maybe I need a life!! :lol:

You should be able to contact Sullivan's Show Supply online and order. They are about $3.50 each, but if ordered in bulk I bet they are cheaper. Other show suppliers are Elite, and Hamm's. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I used Ryder's link and made myself a great rope halter. :D It was cheap too, the rope cost me about $5.00 and it took less than five minutes to make.
Thanks again!

Victoria

Go to your local UFA for rope halters of all colours. Naking them is fine - tough to find rope in some colours

Bez

The reason I started making my own for the working steers (oxen) was because it was impossible to find any small enough for them. Then as the grew I just kept modifying them for a perfect fit everytime. ABout once a week or so I'ld make them just a bit bigger.
But I'm a cheap SOB anyway

dun

cherokeeruby":3voatck1 said:
Found this site with instructions:

http://www.naturalhorsesupply.com/tiehalter.shtml

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Or you can just order them try Valleyvet

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

:)

ok ruby weve gotta have another sit down. now dont take any of this personal. just trying to be friendly. about your avatar. when i first saw that i had to trot out to the privy and check myself. that would put the fear in anybody. if thats you well your havin a bad hair day and seem to be enjoying yourself in the process. looks like something under a microscope that came out of manyhorses navel. its proud to be out but mad about the possibility of being put back in. well im sure yo u can find a more flattering pic of your self if you dig thru the shoebox for a while. that one gave me the jitters.

brokenmouth":2dd1blok said:
ok ruby weve gotta have another sit down. now dont take any of this personal. just trying to be friendly. about your avatar. when i first saw that i had to trot out to the privy and check myself. that would put the fear in anybody. if thats you well your havin a bad hair day and seem to be enjoying yourself in the process. looks like something under a microscope that came out of manyhorses navel. its proud to be out but mad about the possibility of being put back in. well im sure yo u can find a more flattering pic of your self if you dig thru the shoebox for a while. that one gave me the jitters.

I just can't seem to please anyone these days :(

It is just a cute little kitty what do you find scary about it.

Hi Bez, I did find some at UFA but they were just for cows, not small enough for heifers.

Dun, I am cheap too, I am planning on adjusting my halter as the heifer grows and now just need more rope to make a few more. I have to be cheap, I am Scottish. :lol:

Victoria - next time you are at UFA ask them to look up the skew numbers - wife used to work at UFA and kids were big into 4H. We had and may still have dozens of the things laying around all the outbuildings.

Times may have changed in the past 5 years, but they used to have them
in all sizes.

Regards

Bez

Latest posts