"Dave" my new Australian Shepherd pup

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: "Dave" my new Australian Shepherd pup

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:55 pm

FlyingLSimmentals wrote:Dave

Dave is a great looking dog. I had to research Australian dogs to see breed standards, because of his erect ears and hair
coat he must be a crossbred and not a registered Australian Shepherd. He appears to fall more into the category of a
"Stump Tail Australian Cattle Dog" a breed under development with erect ears and natural stump tail descending from European cattle dogs, but not yet recognized as a breed by any major kennel club. Stump Tails are speckled so I suspect
he may get his coloring from a shot of short haired smooth collie somewhere in the woodpile. All in all a good looking dog. Was he born with a stump tail or was it docked?
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Re: "Dave" my new Australian Shepherd pup

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:45 pm

Thanks, SOB. The breeders had docked his tail as a puppy. I didn't see his parents but was told that the mother stayed outside in a kennel and that she was an Australian Cattle Dog or at least part A. cattle dog and part A. Shepherd. Was told the dad stayed in the house and he was a black tricolor Australian Shepherd and that he was a part miniature Australian Shepherd. Think he got his black tricolor from his daddy, and his erect ears, short hair, and the few speckles on front legs from his mother.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”