Bad weather and calving.

Help Support CattleToday:

Medic24

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is it true, but I have noticed especially this year that my calves seem to be born just before or during really bad weather.

Could there be a connection to the barometer falling or raising that may be of some explanation to this?

I am guessing that better then 85% of our calves have been dropped just prior to, or during snow falls this winter and spring, and the latest one (today) dropped during a hail/thunder/rain downpour.

Any one else have some input here? :cboy:

dont know. had one right before the hail storm and one right after.

I thought it was widely accepted that there were two things that could help a cow along:

One is a drop in the barometric pressure (like a cold front), causing the cow to go into labor.

Second is a full moon.

Maybe I been in the "moon", but always heard about the two.

every year when i turn them in on winter annuals for the first time i have a buttload of calves born the next few days. bad weather never fails but the moon sikes me out everyonce in a while.

cypressfarms":21afgq1l said:
I thought it was widely accepted that there were two things that could help a cow along:

One is a drop in the barometric pressure (like a cold front), causing the cow to go into labor.

Second is a full moon.

Maybe I been in the "moon", but always heard about the two.

I've heard about the drop in barometric pressure, but the full moon theory is a new one. I tend to believe the barometric pressure one as we went for a week with no new calves, storm rolls in and we got 6 or so in a couple of days while it was snowing hard. Maybe I need to add a new column to my calving spreadsheet - weather! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've heard that the falling barometer triggers feeding in animals and also effects labor. Last calf born here was on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

We typically have a few calves born right before cold weather or a storm. We up the checks if we know really cold weather is coming. Maybe that's what we need here, a cold snap, get these ladies back to work here.

Latest posts