Burdizzo VS Cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
It is our preference to wait until weaning or first frost at least before cutting. We gave up the whole banding at birth many years ago.

I would like to consider using the Burdizzo; my husband has doubts... he doesn't know why he has doubts, just that we have cut for years. I think it is a change thing :roll:

Does anyone have opinions on the Burdizzo use? Health concerns?

And, FYI - we usually finish out all of our own bull/steer calves.

I suppose on a rare occasion we may sell a few if we don't have the forages/grain to do all of them.

Thanks everyone!

Michele

All we use is a Burdizzo. In my opinion, it is better than cutting because you are still severing the cords but leave no open wounds. The key to using one of these bad boys is to make sure the jaws match perfectly. I bought one at an auction sale one time and didn't take the time to examine it before use. The jaws didn't close tight all the way across and I did end up with a few one nutters that I had to go back and redo. Welded and ground on the jaws to get them flush and it's worked great since. By the way, I work them at branding which is usually 1-2 months of age.

I used one for years.
like said above they have to be be precise. It is not an instrument that you would throw at the bull.
Lots of room for operator error but once you learn how to do it.....I had good results and did a hundred or so a year.
you do need a good holder as the animal will scramble some and you are closer to the work than with cutting. I used to have a couple of good boys who could hold em and that being the case I far preferred the burdizzo to any other method.

Have you checked out the "California Bander". It works real well for us. We band a few weeks before weaning

I've had two instances with crimping . . . both failed. I think it's great in philosophy, but, as mentioned, it probably takes practice practice practice. I either band at birth or big band at weaning. One I had crimped I had to go back later and big band anyway . . . one nut kept growing.

I've been doing a fair bunch of research into the different techniques that are available to castrate. I've ended up with a Callicrate bander.

From the perspective of 'what is best for the animal' I think that either a Burdizzo or cutting is what I would prefer as the trauma seems to be over pretty quickly. The main reason I've decided on the banding even with the downside of a long duration wound is that it seems to be A LOT less error prone for the newbie like me.

Not sure how good my logic is but I will post my experiences once I have used it.

Growing up as a kid, my Dad would use the "Clamps" (Burdizzo) and I would hold the calves tail bent over it's back. As I grew up, I started doing the clamping. We would clamp from week old to 600 plus pounders, just clamp everything in the pasture at the time. We averaged over 300 bulls clamped each year. I don't ever know of one that was left intact. It is very simple, there is no open wound, so there isn't the bleeding problem or the tetanus problem. I always clamp the cord on one side and then the cord on the other side. I don't try to clamp both cords at the same time. On a larger bull, I usually leave the clamp tight on the animal for an extra second or two. I like to wait until the animal gets to be 400-500 lbs before I clamp it because I think I get better growth by waiting. On a 400-500 lb calf, it generally takes 60 days before it will sell at the auction as a steer. It takes that long for the swelling to go away and the testicles to be absorbed into the body enough to look like a steer. I have cut a few and banded a few, but the clamps are still the way to go for us.

canoetrpr":2rglehb8 said:
The main reason I've decided on the banding even with the downside of a long duration wound is that it seems to be A LOT less error prone for the newbie like me.
I would be interested to hear why you feel there is less error with banding. You still have to be certain you find both testicles and get the band above both to be effective. It is no different with clamping. Find both testicles and clamp each cord. I guess everyone is entitled to his/her opinion but I feel using a Burdizzo is the just as effective as any method with no open wounds.

novaman, I do not know this from a fact but it seemed this way to me reading posts and what material was available on the internet.

I was concerned about not using the right amount of pressure with clamping, or missing the cord. The Callicrate bander that I have purchased has a thingy to tell you you have the right amount of tension. It seemed, but I do not know, that locating the two testicles and ensuring I band above them would be less error prone than ensuring that I clamped the spermatic cords.

In honesty, I am not going to know until I try both. The bloodless / no open wound nature of the clamping method sure has advantages which I have done my best to weigh against the use of a Callicrate bander.

In the final analysis I hope I have made the right decision. Having to deliver the first round of a tetanus toxoid shot is a hassle which has made me wonder - because I now need the calves to have an extra trip through the chute a month ahead of time. This means I've got to wait a month before banding.

This is interesting. A local cattleman and I had this discussion yesterday. He uses the burdizzo but cuts the bottom of the sack then uses them removing the nuts completely.
Was wondering about the differant uses of this tool.
Look forward to more posts. Maybe we will change our methods.
Double R

That is how we have been doing it for the past 3 or 4 years. Cut the sack open, crimp, and cut the excess off. Little to no blood with a real clean look. The guys that help me work cattle all do it like that so we did the same just to keep it easy.

When speaking of an open wound, the calicrate bander has minimal open wound and you know you've got both nuts - no if ands or buts and the calves never really experience any trauma whatsoever. The clamping may not have an open wound but it certainly generates internal wounds! Just take a look at the swelling afterwards. Relative to trauma, ask yourself which you'd rather do to yourself and which would take longer to recover from and you might find your answer.

Angus9259, after reading your post and giving that final question alot of thought and consideration, I have come to the conclusion that my calves will remain bulls----LOL

Latest posts