Chicken Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
We had many layer hens that free ranged around our home and cattle pens, but we have lost over one dozen this month. We did see three coyotes running our pastures with cattle hot on their tails. I built a chicken house last year that Kathy calls the "Fort" as nothing gets in or out when the door is closed and latched. I started building a Chicken Pen around the Chicken Fort to contain the Hens, no more yard Chickens.

My question is, How strong is Chicken wire? Is there any other wire fabric that is stronger, I am pro Stronger if necessary. Has anyone ever had Coyotes tare through the Chicken wire fabric? I would think that a yote would have many fine cuts in his Mouth and Gums from the fine Chicken wire and just give up.

What do you folks use on your Chicken Pens?

I have a rabbit dog training pen which is chicken wire coated with rubber it is pretty durable but not k9 proof I just got chickens this year my run is spare dog kennels and top is chicken wire I'll post pics later

Chain link fence, chicken wire is only for holding in chickens, coons or anything else go right through it.

You can pick up used 10x10 pens for a hundred bucks or less, sometimes someone will post an ad that says free chain link fence, you take down, I never make it there in time though. Lots of welded wire fencing will hold up to quite a bit, but chain link is indestructible.

I have 2 coops that I just shut every night, and open every morning, usually drag myself down there before coffee every morning, kind of motivates me I guess.

They can get in it. There is another wire we call rabbit wire. It's just quarter in square holes. For ours we bought dog kennels and run chicken wire along the bottom and across the top. Nothing has got in so far for 3 years.
Kell beat me to it

Kell-inKY":i4t4mf1r said:
sometimes someone will post an ad that says free chain link fence.

That reminds me. One of my neighbors went to the scrap yard and got lots of chain link for scrap price and fenced his whole yard with it. You might get lucky there.

I been raising hounds for 25 years and chain link is NOT indestructible. A dog can chew through it. I have had them chew through it to get to a dog in heat. While it's stronger than other wire. Sorry kell that's just not true.

skyhightree1":gzxu8kdy said:
I been raising hounds for 25 years and chain link is NOT indestructible. A dog can chew through it. I have had them chew through it to get to a dog in heat. While it's stronger than other wire. Sorry kell that's just not true.
??? OK, you win, nothing is completely indestructible, wasn't trying to undermine your post, maybe it came across that way? I was solely answering kerley's post.

I think the OP understands the point I was trying to make even if chain link is not completely indestructible. The chances of a coyote spending all night for weeks at a time on a single spot like a captive dog are pretty slim. Doubtful that chewing caused the damage as well (teeth are softer than steel), more likely repeated bending of the same piece of metal by pulling and twisting over and over.

Chain link remains a really good option for coops, it's used on dog kennels for a reason, easy to find cheap, and comes in the height you need.

My set up

PART_1460337466102_IMG_20160410_185620738_zps3rizmdar.jpg

PART_1460337517774_IMG_20160410_185700932_TOP_zps9nctgtks.jpg

PART_1460337498492_IMG_20160410_185630860_zpsr3t3vtmd.jpg

PART_1460337291216_IMG_20160409_193514287_HDR_zpsmfdlvs7u.jpg

Latest posts