coolant heater

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
I am familiar with a block heater and understand the way the plug works. However I was wondering if a coolant heater in the lower radiator hose is a better/faster way to heat the engine up in very cold weather? Never having used a coolant heater in the hose I am looking for the good and bad of that system. thanks

Never used one but years ago seen a logger here use one with a quick coupler that hooked to his truck. His truck was real warm by the time he got to the job so didn't take long to warm the engine on the skidder or dozer.

Usually the radiator hose heater is only used when the block heater is not available or not enough room in the block for the unit. Both heat the engine as expected.

A heater in the block is as good as you can get. All the heat is concentrated right where it needs to be.

A heater in the hose is a close second because you are heating the block indirectly, and the hot coolant does not really circulate. As D2cat mentioned, they are only really used when a block heater is not feasible.

I think what you are referring to is a circulating heater, and it is hands down far and away more effective than a block heater. They don't hook in to the bottom rad hose, they tie in to the heater hose that returns to the water jacket. Much better than a block heater because rather than heat on piece of the block they circulate the warm coolant throughout the system.
We tried one of the quick coupler deals way back. Might not be a problem where it doesn't get real cold but our findings were that if you take a nice warm engine and introduce -30 degree water the result is cracked heads in the warm engine.

Just a plain hose heater is not as good as a block heater. For one they are usually not as hot. Most hose are around 600 watts, block heaters are around 1800 watts. I have one of each. With the block heater in near 0 temps I need about 2 hours to get the tractor warm enough to start. With the hose heater I need 4 hours. Most of the time I just leave the hose heater plugged in.

Those of us that deal with cold weather know that circulating heaters are hands down better heater than block heaters. Most block heaters are 1000 Watts and down to 750. A good circulating heater is 1500 plus. Like I said, the advantage is that they actually circulate the warmth whereas a block heater does not. When it's 40 below you will see the difference.

Silver":22c7rfie said:
I think what you are referring to is a circulating heater, and it is hands down far and away more effective than a block heater. They don't hook in to the bottom rad hose, they tie in to the heater hose that returns to the water jacket. Much better than a block heater because rather than heat on piece of the block they circulate the warm coolant throughout the system.
We tried one of the quick coupler deals way back. Might not be a problem where it doesn't get real cold but our findings were that if you take a nice warm engine and introduce -30 degree water the result is cracked heads in the warm engine.
Very good point, extreme cold here might get down to 0 and that's very rare.

As Silver said, up here, where it actually gets deathly cold, circulating heaters are king. People with equipment in unheated shops can sometimes get away with block heaters, but for equipment out in the open, covered in snow, frost and a 30 mile wind at -20F, block heaters are a joke. Circulation can be passive or forced, no one uses a heater less than 1500W and they can go well beyond that, depending how quickly you want it to go. Some of the pricier units can get you going in 20 minutes or less.

All heavy forestry equipment here uses quick couplers, nothing would start without them. Have never heard of a cracked head. Guys use them on their trucks to get big skidders, fellerbunchers, limbers and D8's fired up in the middle of the bush all the time.

Aaron":39j5jwfx said:
All heavy forestry equipment here uses quick couplers, nothing would start without them. Have never heard of a cracked head. Guys use them on their trucks to get big skidders, fellerbunchers, limbers and D8's fired up in the middle of the bush all the time.

All the heavy equipment here uses Wabasto, Proheat, or Espar heaters. I have a 230 JD with an Espar on it and it is a wonderful thing. 20 minutes and the engine is showing temp.

In fact, all John Deere equipment comes standard with Wabasto heaters right out of the box so I don't know why they would use the quick coupler deal. Add to that all the different coolant that everything uses these days that aren't supposed to be mixed it sounds like a bad idea all the way around.

Silver":3jwoagw7 said:
In fact, all John Deere equipment comes standard with Wabasto heaters right out of the box so I don't know why they would use the quick coupler deal. Add to that all the different coolant that everything uses these days that aren't supposed to be mixed it sounds like a bad idea all the way around.

Not too much new John Deere equipment here as the forestry industry is dead in this province. Majority is TimberJack, TigerCat and Clark machines. Most have leaks so guys use same cheap coolant in trucks and equipment.

thanks for all the responses. Block heaters are the common practice around here but I have heard of the circulating heaters. May have to look into that option.

Latest posts