Dairy calves in rough shape.

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've had cattle for a few years now. Only beef cattle. I see 3 calves on Craigslist that aren't too far from me but they are in rough shape. Look like they are weaned. Asking $125/head. My thought was to go get them and fatten them up and then take to the auction once they are good sized. They are jerseys. I just really feel awful for these guys… so so skinny. I do have a good sized pasture with green grass that would be quarantined from my other cattle. Once they have been wormed and quarantined for a while, when could I let my other cows with them? Is there anything that could stay in the soil and transmit to my healthy cattle?

Your heart is in the right place, but I can't emphasize enough that you should stay far, far, away from those calves. Even at $125, you're likely to lose money. Jerseys need a lot of grain just to grow, even if they're healthy. If they've had pneumonia, they might not grow at all.

Without knowing anything about their history, you're really playing with fire as far as introducing disease. Large dairies have a pretty extensive list of diseases that can be circulating at a low level - they get away with it because the cows are acclimated to their environment. When you introduce those diseases to cattle that have never been exposed to them, it can get out of control fast. For example, a carrier of Salmonella dublin can look perfectly fine, but could make all of your home-raised calves deathly ill.

Your heart is in the right place, but I can't emphasize enough that you should stay far, far, away from those calves. Even at $125, you're likely to lose money. Jerseys need a lot of grain just to grow, even if they're healthy. If they've had pneumonia, they might not grow at all.

Without knowing anything about their history, you're really playing with fire as far as introducing disease. Large dairies have a pretty extensive list of diseases that can be circulating at a low level - they get away with it because the cows are acclimated to their environment. When you introduce those diseases to cattle that have never been exposed to them, it can get out of control fast. For example, a carrier of Salmonella dublin can look perfectly fine, but could make all of your home-raised calves deathly ill.
Thank you for an honest answer. Exactly what I was looking for. Just sad to see them is such awful shape. But hoping someone who has the right facilities can take good care of them! Thank you again. Of course I'd hate to get my herd sick. Since my herd is very healthy!

As @Buck Randall said, you could bring home something you would regret forever.... take it from someone who has had hundreds of baby calves over the years. Even if perfectly healthy, jerseys need grain to grow, as do all dairy calves until they get to the 5-6 wts where they can actually do okay on good pasture; jerseys just aren't worth anything as feeders anyway. I eat jersey beef, it is good beef to eat... but it is from my own jersey bull calves because they just do not bring anything at the sales unless someone is specifically wanting jersey beef. The packers don't like them either... usually too small so they don't fit the "line" getting killed and worked.

As @Buck Randall said, you could bring home something you would regret forever.... take it from someone who has had hundreds of baby calves over the years. Even if perfectly healthy, jerseys need grain to grow, as do all dairy calves until they get to the 5-6 wts where they can actually do okay on good pasture; jerseys just aren't worth anything as feeders anyway. I eat jersey beef, it is good beef to eat... but it is from my own jersey bull calves because they just do not bring anything at the sales unless someone is specifically wanting jersey beef. The packers don't like them either... usually too small so they don't fit the "line" getting killed and worked.
Thank you also for your honest option. I always seem to find myself posting here for valuable information before jumping feet first. I appreciate you all!

I am itching for another bottle calf… I had 1 last year that I have kept to breed later on (b&w face). Once I sell off my steers in the fall (Sept) I told myself I'm going to get another bottle calf. What would be my best option to get a bottle calf? The last one I got was from a customer of mine where I work (local feed store) and she was rejected by mom and the owners offered her to me so I of course couldn't say no!

Hi all,
I see 3 calves on Craigslist that aren't too far from me but they are in rough shape. Look like they are weaned. Asking $125/head. They are jerseys. I just really feel awful for these guys… so so skinny.
Don't enable sorry producers with your $ bcs you feel sorry for the calves.
You'll just be contributing to the cycle of more sorry looking calves on craigslist.

They've got eyes and know what they look like, so they're looking for a stranger to dump them on. They post them on craigslist bcs it's free and they know they won't clear $125 on the whole lot of them, if they took them to a local sale barn. They're just fishing for someone to bail them out.

Last edited:
I am itching for another bottle calf… I had 1 last year that I have kept to breed later on (b&w face). Once I sell off my steers in the fall (Sept) I told myself I'm going to get another bottle calf. What would be my best option to get a bottle calf? The last one I got was from a customer of mine where I work (local feed store) and she was rejected by mom and the owners offered her to me so I of course couldn't say no!
Introduce yourself to all the local beef cattle farmers in your area and let them know you would take an orphaned calf to bottle feed and raise. You might get lucky and someone will have an abandoned twin or one that wont nurse right on his mother that the farmer doesn't want to deal with. We had one that wouldn't suck and the mother was a crazy b**** and wouldn't let us work with her. Calf was ok with a bottle and we gave it to a teenage neighbor to raise and keep his dairy bottle calf company.

Wish you were in Florida. Got a little Angus bull calf 6 dys old. Mamma not producing a lot of milk. Hoped milk production would pick up, but no. Started bottle feeding last night against my hubby's wish. I just can't stand to lose a baby or see them struggle.
Jlizz

Wish you were in Florida. Got a little Angus bull calf 6 dys old. Mamma not producing a lot of milk. Hoped milk production would pick up, but no. Started bottle feeding last night against my hubby's wish. I just can't stand to lose a baby or see them struggle.
Jlizz
And that is what makes you a great cattle rancher! Too bad Florida is very far away. Best wishes with your bottle calf!

Latest posts