Discipline Builds Foundation....

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Curious

Reaction score
What do you stand on???

A Letter From KIA Marine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Months Before He Was Killed in Combat

Sunday, June 10, 2007

5 Months Before He Was Killed in Combat, Marine Maj. Doug Zembiec Wrote a Letter to Keep Alive the Memory of a Fellow Officer Who Gave His Life in Iraq

Widow Karen Mendoza asked her husband's fellow Marine officers and his men to write something about Maj. Ray J. Mendoza that his children, Kiana and Alek, could read when they were older. One of the officers who responded was Maj. Doug Zembiec, a 1991 La Cueva High School graduate legendary among Marines in Iraq as the Lion of Fallujah.

Mendoza and Zembiec attended Expeditionary Warfare School together, received their first commands together at Camp Pendleton and were both deployed to Iraq in 2004.

Marine Maj. Ray J. Mendoza was killed in action along the Syrian border Nov. 14, 2005.

Karen Mendoza writes that "Doug's letter took some time to get to me, which I understood. ... The last time I spoke with Doug before he deployed to Iraq this time, ... he told me that he wanted to write the letter in a good state of mind. He wanted the letter to be perfectly clear, so Kiana and Alek would understand and feel their father. ...

"I did not allow my kids to read any of the letters until recently. My daughter was in a speech contest at school. The topic was American leader or hero. She chose her father. It was emotionally difficult for her, and during the process I realized that she did not understand how Ray was a leader. So I let her read some of the letters that his Marines had written.

"The one letter I knew would explain her daddy the best was the letter from Doug Zembiec. He nailed it. His words still send shivers down my spine, because those are the exact words that I could now tell his daughter, Fallyn, about Doug."

Marine Maj. Doug Zembiec was killed May 11 leading a raid on Baghdad insurgents. His letter to the children of a fallen comrade-in-arms:

Dear Kiana and Alek,
Ray and I had a conversation late May in 2004 while we were deployed to Iraq. He spoke of why he fought. He fought to give the people of Iraq a chance. He fought to crush those who would terrorize and enslave others. He fought to protect his fellow Marines.

The last thing he told me that day was, "I don't want any of these people (terrorists) telling my kids how to act, or how to dress. I don't want to worry about the safety of my children." Kiana and Alek, your father fought for many things, but always remember, he fought for you.

As you fight this battle we call life, you will find your challenges greater, your adversity larger, your enemies more numerous. The beautiful thing is, you will grow stronger, smarter, faster, and you will overcome the obstacles in your way.

No one could've better prepared you than your father. In the month and a half your family stayed with me in Laguna Niguel, Calif., while waiting for base housing to open up, I saw how, with the help of your incredible mother, he instilled in you the essentials to life:

# Live with integrity, for without integrity we deceive ourselves, we live in a house of cards.

# Fight for what you believe, for without valor, we lose our freedom.

# Be willing to sacrifice, for anything worthy in life requires sacrifice.

# Be disciplined, for it is discipline that builds the foundation of your success.

You will encounter misguided people in your life who may question America's attempt to help the people of Iraq and the Middle East. These pathetic windbags, who have nothing so sacred in their lives that they would be willing to fight for it, will argue and debate endlessly on what we should've done.

While they criticize, they forget the truth, or conveniently overlook the fact that it takes men and women of action, willing to make a sacrifice, to free the enslaved, to advance the cause of freedom.

Our great nation was built on the shoulders of men like your father. While the nay-sayers and cowards hid in the shadows sniveling that nothing was worth dying for, men like your dad carved our liberty away from the English, freed the slaves and kept the Union together, saved Europe from the Germans twice; rescued the Pacific away from the Japanese, defeated communism, and right now, fight terrorism and plant the seeds of democracy in the Middle East.

Your father was a warrior, but being a warrior is not always about fighting. He was patient with those he led, and he understood people make mistakes. He cared about the men he led as if they were his own family. To him, they were. His work ethic was tremendous. But he made time for his family, to enjoy life. He was balanced, at equilibrium. He was an inspiration. He was my friend.

In your future, when you are pushed against a wall, in a tight spot, outnumbered and seemingly overwhelmed, it may be tempting to give up, or even use the absence of your father as a crutch, as an excuse for failure.

Don't. Your father's passing, while tragic, serves as an endless source of your empowerment. Your father would not want you to wallow in self-pity. I know you will honor him by living your life in the positive example he set. Respect and remember him. Drive on with your lives. Serve something greater than yourself. Enjoy all the good things that life has to offer. That is what he would want.

Kiana! I have never met a more capable young lady in my life. You are the most well-read, articulate, disciplined young person I know. Often I tell people of the arm-bar you demonstrated on me in your parents' garage. When you become a worldwide Judo champion, I will say with great pride, "that woman nearly torqued my shoulder out when she was 11 years old!"

If my daughter grows up with a quarter of the strength of your principles, determination and intelligence, she will be an incredible human being. Like your mother, you are a beautiful woman, a fact of which you should be proud.

Alek! You are blessed with your father's strength of character and his unbreakable will and his broad shoulders. Your mother gave you her determination and unwavering mental toughness.

Your mother told me the story of you hanging up the sign, "Be a leader, not a follower." My eyes well up every time that I think of you doing that. My eyes fill not with tears of sadness, but of pride, to know you grasped the mindset your father passed on to you. This mindset will allow you to be a leader and protector like your father, and one day, to raise an upright, solid-as-a-rock family of your own.

When I look in your eyes, I see your father. Courageous, determined and resolute, your father embodied all that is virtuous in a warrior. Even now, you strive to embody his same character. Remember, there will never be any pressure for you to be exactly like your father. Be your own man, but build your character in his image.

Many people may be concerned about your future because of the early passing of your father. I don't worry at all. Your dad gave you all you ever need to become a great woman and a great man. I know your father would have told you to be your own hero/heroine. Don't wait for someone to rise up and lead you to victory, to your goals. If you do, you might wait for a very long time.

Ray died as a warrior, sword in hand, in service of his country, his comrades and you, his loved ones. His spirit and example give us all hope, reaffirms our faith. Your father reminds us there are men willing to fight for people that they don't even know so that all may live in peace.

I joined the Corps to serve beside men like your father. There is no other Marine I'd rather have protecting my flank in combat than your dad. Even now, as I write this letter in Iraq, I will honor him on the field of battle by slaying as many of our enemies as possible, and fight until our mission is accomplished.

You will always be in our lives. Please stay in touch. We will always be in your corner for assistance, advice or just conversation. Pam and I plan to retire in Idaho and would love for you to visit us so we can take you white-water rafting and mountain climbing.

Very Respectfully,
Doug

We are so fortunate to have Citizens of our Great Nation serving unselfishly for the good of all.

Thank You Doug!

Thank You Ray!

Thank You Lord, for making me an American.

God Bless America!

It makes me angry when people use letters from "dead" Marines to support our unnecessary war in Iraq. And that's exactly what this is: propoganda for supporting a continuing war that the American people have turned their back on. More fine Americans will die, but after November 2008 we'll start bringing the remaining troops home, licking our wounds, rebuilding our military and our reputation in the world. Shame on you for using the death of a fine American to support this war.

You will encounter misguided people in your life who may question America's attempt to help the people of Iraq and the Middle East. These pathetic windbags, who have nothing so sacred in their lives that they would be willing to fight for it, will argue and debate endlessly on what we should've done.

While they criticize, they forget the truth, or conveniently overlook the fact that it takes men and women of action, willing to make a sacrifice, to free the enslaved, to advance the cause of freedom.

Frankie":33lmit3i said:
It makes me angry when people use letters from "dead" Marines to support our unnecessary war in Iraq. And that's exactly what this is: propoganda for supporting a continuing war that the American people have turned their back on.
Frankie... Point noted...
But so you know, the only "propaganda" I am exploiting is the strength of character I see in good people... Alive or dead... Military, standing in defense of our Country's values with a rifle or Moms on street corners, with their child in tow holding a signs "Stealing is not right!"... These folks are making a statement and are putting the word out to those that would see... those that will consider... those that want to apply... those that would disagree... that character, integrity, responsibility, and discipline are the foundation of who we are... As a society... As individuals.
This thread was not meant as a political statement... or one of religeous beliefs... It was to showcase the values I admire in people!

Frankie":2mmgwj77 said:
It makes me angry when people use letters from "dead" Marines to support our unnecessary war in Iraq. And that's exactly what this is: propoganda for supporting a continuing war that the American people have turned their back on. More fine Americans will die, but after November 2008 we'll start bringing the remaining troops home, licking our wounds, rebuilding our military and our reputation in the world. Shame on you for using the death of a fine American to support this war.

:roll:

Just Curious":288ylzgt said:
Frankie":288ylzgt said:
It makes me angry when people use letters from "dead" Marines to support our unnecessary war in Iraq. And that's exactly what this is: propoganda for supporting a continuing war that the American people have turned their back on.
But so you know, the only "propaganda" I am exploiting is the strength of character I see in good people... Alive or dead... Military, standing in defense of our Country's values with a rifle or Moms on street corners, with their child in tow holding a signs "Stealing is not right!"... These folks are making a statement and are putting the word out to those that would see... those that will consider... those that want to apply... those that would disagree... that character, integrity, responsibility, and discipline are the foundation of who we are... As a society... As individuals.
This thread was not meant as a political statement... or one of religeous beliefs... It was to showcase the values I admire in people!

IMO, you are exploiting the death of this fine Marine by repeating the mis-information that got us into Iraq. We didn't go there to save the Iraqi people or to give them freedom. To repeat that is nothing but propoganda, whoever does it for whatever reason.

The discipline in our military ranks is starting to break down. If you don't know that, you should. Extended tours, repeat tours, the strain the war is putting on our troops is showing through. The lack of medical/mental treatment available to them when they return to the states is disgusting. And the Army missed their latest recruiting goal.

Frankie":27yre3vq said:
Just Curious":27yre3vq said:
Frankie":27yre3vq said:

IMO, you are exploiting the death of this fine Marine by repeating the mis-information that got us into Iraq. We didn't go there to save the Iraqi people or to give them freedom. To repeat that is nothing but propoganda, whoever does it for whatever reason.

I dissagree Frankie. I went there to help the Iraqi people as well as us. It really doesnt matter if you belive now the information we believed then. The fact still remains, that is why we went. You could argue, thats not why we were sent, but thats intirelly different, and a discussion I wont participate in as it never gets anywhere.

The discipline in our military ranks is starting to break down. If you don't know that, you should. Extended tours, repeat tours, the strain the war is putting on our troops is showing through. The lack of medical/mental treatment available to them when they return to the states is disgusting. And the Army missed their latest recruiting goal.

I agree 100%, the military is just taking and taking and has seem to forget how to say thank you. They are so gun shy from publicized serious misconduct they are crucifying the good soldier ont he ground for minor mistakes of the brain, but not of the heart. You cant keep a good soldier in if you treat him like a bad one and a little thanks goes a long way. Maybe when the Army learns this they will meet their recruitment goal.

Frankie":1fy7rj7k said:

frankie

I am Canadian and will likely never serve in Iraq. I will probably serve in Darfur or Afghanistan. Wife wants me in Afghanistan as she (and many others) believe it to actually be a safer tour of duty. I will let you know if I go and when I return.

As a person who has many friends and colleagues in the "area" and as a person who has been to more than his share of funerals in the past three years please allow me to respond - I will not go there with my initial thoughts as they were angry words.

So, instead I will go there with as few and as simple a response as possible. Hopefully it does not come acrioss as a rambling piece of crapola.

I believe those words are not used as propoganda.

Despite the manner the letters and written thoughts are at times presented - I believe those words are simply used to display how the individual actually thought about the mission - how the individual actually believed in the mission and how that individual was prepared to serve - no matter the cost.

Those words would never have been made public if the opportunity to "spread the propoganda" had not come about.

I do not mean the death of an indivdual - I mean the chance to make thoughts public. The military used to severely frown upon public comments. People used to keep those thoughts private. No longer the case.

This means the general populace actually has - for the first time - up front knowledge of very private and personal thoughts of the person serving in-country.

In general the public does not really care about what happens in the military - however their thought process changes during times of war. Call is morbid curiosity, or call it patriotism - I do not care.

And those people really do need to know the thoughts of the troops - including the "bad" thoughts. And there is certainly negativity in the ranks. I know because I also experience this negativity.

Probably the brightest light though is the fact that we do what we do and we are - despite the grousing - quite proud of what we do.

In turn we simply wish that folks like you would not think of the writings of those who are dead as propoganda. We wish they would actually separate their thoughts of the war and the associated bad things - and think US - the folks who do the job - and certainly leave us OUT of the politics.

Thoughts and writings are simply that of the people who serve. Politics is simply something that comes from the politicians.

No matter the country, no matter the political party - YOU FOLKS VOTED THE POLITICIANS INTO POWER!

We in the military serve as their instrument and in times of strife as your protector.

Agree or diagree this is the way the majority of my peers think.

Regards

Bez>

I think the important thing here is not whether we agree with why we went to Iraq, but to support our troops while they have to be there, and be there for them when they return home!

GMN

Thank the good Lord we have people who will fight to protect our freedom of speech, so you can fuss and fume and argue about them fighting a war that is also being fought to protect our freedom of speech, etc.

Regardless of if I agree or dissagree with a particular opinion of Frankie's I would like to add the following just so the record is clear and there are no misunderstandings.

1. I would like to say Frankie will stand up for the troops 100%, her problem is with the politics.

2. She has 1st hand experience of what the military life is all about and isnt all that far removed from it even now.

Bez>":h9sar8vn said:
Frankie":h9sar8vn said:

frankie

I am Canadian and will likely never serve in Iraq. I will probably serve in Darfur or Afghanistan. Wife wants me in Afghanistan as she (and many others) believe it to actually be a safer tour of duty. I will let you know if I go and when I return.

As a person who has many friends and colleagues in the "area" and as a person who has been to more than his share of funerals in the past three years please allow me to respond - I will not go there with my initial thoughts as they were angry words.

So, instead I will go there with as few and as simple a response as possible. Hopefully it does not come acrioss as a rambling piece of crapola.

I believe those words are not used as propoganda.

Despite the manner the letters and written thoughts are at times presented - I believe those words are simply used to display how the individual actually thought about the mission - how the individual actually believed in the mission and how that individual was prepared to serve - no matter the cost.

Those words would never have been made public if the opportunity to "spread the propoganda" had not come about.

I do not mean the death of an indivdual - I mean the chance to make thoughts public. The military used to severely frown upon public comments. People used to keep those thoughts private. No longer the case.

This means the general populace actually has - for the first time - up front knowledge of very private and personal thoughts of the person serving in-country.

In general the public does not really care about what happens in the military - however their thought process changes during times of war. Call is morbid curiosity, or call it patriotism - I do not care.

And those people really do need to know the thoughts of the troops - including the "bad" thoughts. And there is certainly negativity in the ranks. I know because I also experience this negativity.

Probably the brightest light though is the fact that we do what we do and we are - despite the grousing - quite proud of what we do.

In turn we simply wish that folks like you would not think of the writings of those who are dead as propoganda. We wish they would actually separate their thoughts of the war and the associated bad things - and think US - the folks who do the job - and certainly leave us OUT of the politics.

Thoughts and writings are simply that of the people who serve. Politics is simply something that comes from the politicians.

No matter the country, no matter the political party - YOU FOLKS VOTED THE POLITICIANS INTO POWER!

We in the military serve as their instrument and in times of strife as your protector.

Agree or diagree this is the way the majority of my peers think.

Regards

Bez>

Bez, all wars are political.

I agree that this letter was not written for public display. Who put it out on public display? The people who claim to "support the troops" but actually support the current Administration.

Is it the actual letter as written, or have things been added and subtracted as it's been passed through the internet?

No one has more love and respect for the US military than me. or more anger at the way they have been misused, abused and ignored by this Administration.

As an American, I appreciate Canada's willingness to send their troops to Afghanistan, home of Osama Bin Laden and the source of 9/11. But you're right, you'll probably never serve in Iraq. I sincerely doubt that you've followed the path that led us there like I have. Wherever you go, whenever you go, take care of yourself and don't forget us here at Cattle Today.

Lastly, I never voted for anyone in this Admistration. Voters in this country turned over Congress last year to the Democrats, but not enough seats to overide the President's veto. I think Democrats will take the whole kaboodle next year, House, Senate, White House. I'm not so sure that's a good idea either. :)

3MR":1gqoavfy said:
Regardless of if I agree or dissagree with a particular opinion of Frankie's I would like to add the following just so the record is clear and there are no misunderstandings.

1. I would like to say Frankie will stand up for the troops 100%, her problem is with the politics.

2. She has 1st hand experience of what the military life is all about and isnt all that far removed from it even now.

And that .... is why I made what I thought to be a respectful reply.

Bez>

3MR":1v9iutle said:

3MR, I've thought and thought how to say what you said so perfectly. Personally, I do not know how Frankie may be involved with the military, but from the way I read what she wrote, she in no way was dissing the troops, far from it. She was expressing concern over the politics of the whole awful tragic mess.

Alice

Both of you have my respect and thanks for your service. Your responses are noted and appreciated.

I have a young family member in Afghanistan. He's still gung ho about Saddam. I won't argue with him. He needs to do what he needs to do to stay alive and come home to a very scared mother.

Workinonit Farm":2dhl27sl said:
Frankie":2dhl27sl said:
He needs to do what he needs to do to stay alive and come home to a very scared mother.

I will pray for his safe return.

Katherine

As will I, Frankie... :heart:

Alice

Its times like these that I regret serving my country and putting my life in harms way to help protect our country's freedoms, including speech. There are "those people" that sometimes make me feel like I wasted my time protecting. I did it because I am trying to avoid seeing my children have to deal with it. But it does scare me to think what they will have to deal with.

And by the way I don't think that it is ANY bit disrespectful to post his message. Because, contrary to what you think, HE believed in what he was doing. As he looks down I can assure you he still does believe. He wasn't drafted or anything. He VOLUNTEERED to serve his country and Her citizens in any way needed. Whether you feel he needed to do or not, oh well! Thank God we have men and women like him who are there to step up no matter how loud and outspoken his opponents are, and I don't mean the enemy on another shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts