Don't cuss the cold or rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

I feel for you guys south of us here. We are stating to get dry, but the last of first cutting of hay should be going in the barn today. As of this afternoon, I am ready for some thunderstorms! We have it nothing like you guys. We went through that two years ago and things got tight!

We had very wet summer in 2017, pretty dry, but good enough in 2018. This year the snow went away very early for us, at the first half of March, but had very dry spring. Luckily, we had plenty of snow this winter, so grass still was growing even if without any rain. Know that over regions are having it way worse. We finally had nice rain last week and this week. The grass is growing pretty well and should be able to make some first hay soon.

Clouds are building down here, but no guarantees. I've had my heart broken before. I'll believe if it actually happens. We had a lot of thunder grumbling around in the sky on Tuesday, but only a few drops left little circles in the dust on my truck's hood. :(

True Grit Farms said:
Dave said:
I was going to go cut a load of corral poles this morning. It is 65 miles each way. So I checked the forecast and the Doppler radar. No rain in the forecast and none on radar. Rain started just out of Baker. But by the time we got to Sumpter it had quit and the sun was out. Got up in the hills to a patch of Lodgepole pine. I was gassing up the saw and it started to rain. We waited in the truck for it to pass. We waited some more. Finally said I have turned into a fair weather logger in my old age. Got back to Baker and the sun was out. Came home and got my hard hose irrigation reel and the pump up and running. Watched it for a while, thought I will come back and check on it in 2 hours. At one hour and 45 minutes thunder and lightning and pouring down rain. Not cussing the rain but it sure is messing with my day today.

Lucky you.

I do understand your issue. Been there, relying on rain that never came. Not a good thing at all.
Here the grass on the rangeland has about done all it is going to do this year. Rain is not going to help it much from this point on. Down here in the valley I have enough irrigation water that I could literally kill off the grass with water if that was my desire. That is one of the main things I was looking for when I found this place. Great irrigation rights and cheap water.
Got rained out from cutting poles on Wednesday. Thursday we just got a load cut and started loading them. The sky opened up a poured on us. Got soaked to the skin. Yesterday we found a good patch of poles. Easy cutting, easy drag to the road, the sun was shining. Just started loading them and there was a big clap of thunder. Those poles got loaded mighty quick.

Latest posts