Feeding for frame

Help Support CattleToday:

Implant every 100 days. You can get another frame score out of an old cow by implanting her to feed for kill.

I have a dumb question, if she is going to slaughter why does the frame score matter?
If they are feeder cows and they can gain a frame score to pack more weight on in the 100 day feeding period it helps them to find more room for meat and not fat.
Best I can relay what was explained to me.

I did not know implanting an old cow would increase her frame score. Interesting.
It can and will. I asked the question 15 years ago of a small lot taking in 1000 feeder cows and implanting them. They were not 2 and 3 year olds but mature cows. Glad I was able to pass on my learning for a few others today. 😊

It can and will. I asked the question 15 years ago of a small lot taking in 1000 feeder cows and implanting them. They were not 2 and 3 year olds but mature cows. Glad I was able to pass on my learning for a few others today. 😊
Which implant are you using?
Used to be a guy that would buy thin mrkt cows in the fall, feed them all winter and sell them in the spring. He had a deal worked out with a seed corn plant he got all their discard and husklage for free, just had to truck it.
We would worm and Inplant those cows at the sale barn before they went home, but I never got to see the results. We used Finaplix H then when that got hard to find each cow got a synovex S and H. One in each ear.

Which implant are you using?
Used to be a guy that would buy thin mrkt cows in the fall, feed them all winter and sell them in the spring. He had a deal worked out with a seed corn plant he got all their discard and husklage for free, just had to truck it.
We would worm and Inplant those cows at the sale barn before they went home, but I never got to see the results. We used Finaplix H then when that got hard to find each cow got a synovex S and H. One in each ear.
The two times we fed cows we used Ralgro. That was what the fellow told me about implanting cows used.

Just one or did you double dose them?
Only did one, it did make a difference. Did not keep some with no implant to compare but they definately grew bigger while putting on pounds. I only owned them for 85 days and should have put some barley through them. They got good hay and ten lbs of pea screenings pellets. We got 3.4 lbs per day after shrink and added 25 cents to them on price..

Latest posts