Finished Limousin Steer Price

Help Support CattleToday:

farmfowls

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone could tell me the average price per hundredweight, a finished 1350lbs Limousin steer would sell for. I know this is going to depend on market, but I can't seem to find any data on the averages to get a ballpark figure. Would this figure differ on a Saler for example? If so, by how much?

I've found that slaughter cows (1,200 pounds) in general are expected to average at $50 per hundredweight and 550 pounds steers in general are expected to average at $145. But I have to find actual numbers on a finished 1350lbs steer. Does anyone have any idea?

If they are truly finished breed doesn't matter as much as grade and yield grade. This weeks finished steers are bringing around 1.20+ if graded choice and a good yield grade. A single calf will be less.

kenny thomas said:
If they are truly finished breed doesn't matter as much as grade and yield grade. This weeks finished steers are bringing around 1.20+ if graded choice and a good yield grade. A single calf will be less.

Where did you find this information? And is that after slaughter hanging weight or a live animal?

If your selling to someone for a beef it could be lots higher. Price i stated was the price for live slaughter steers and usually figured on grade and yield.
I see steers at as high as 4.50 a lb hanging weight if your selling private to someone for a beef.

You can look at Chicago Merc for future prices to get an idea. Cash trade will be somewhat different.
https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/agricultural/livestock/live-cattle.html

kenny thomas said:
If your selling to someone for a beef it could be lots higher. Price i stated was the price for live slaughter steers and usually figured on grade and yield.
I see steers at as high as 4.50 a lb hanging weight if your selling private to someone for a beef.

From a 1350lbs Limousin how much of that is hanging weight? Is there a calculation I can do? Or a resource I can look at?

farmfowls said:
kenny thomas said:

From a 1350lbs Limousin how much of that is hanging weight? Is there a calculation I can do? Or a resource I can look at?

A Limo should hang at about 62% or maybe better. Of course to figure out meat yield a quick and dirty calculation is 2/3 of 2/3. So 1350 X 2/3 = 891 lbs. 2/3 of 891 is 588 lbs. That's a rather optimistic figure but it won't be too far off.

May 6, 2019 - the extreme top steer in Minnesota 1.24 lb live weight (mostly 1.19)
1400 lbs x 1.24 = $1736 hd - ($25 commission = $1711)
1400 x 1.19 = $1666

1400 x 62% = 868 lbs hanging weight
$1736 divided by 868 = $2.00 hanging weight plus processing (about 70 cents lb)

A well respected local butcher buys finished Angus steers from a well known producer
and he is selling 1/2s and 1/4s for $2.89 lb which includes basic processing and wrapped.

Des Moines - Boxed Beef 600 - 900 lbs usda choice 2.24 lb
IMO it'd take a heck of a sales pitch and a naive customer to get more than 2.24 lb plus processing.

I do know of 1 producer who delivers usda inspected grass fed beef to upscale restaurants for $3.99 lb hw plus processing (150 lb minimum and most of his deliveries are about 150 miles round trip)

Silver said:
You can look at Chicago Merc for future prices to get an idea. Cash trade will be somewhat different.
https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/agricultural/livestock/live-cattle.html

So is this representing finished feeder cattle too? :https://markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/live-cattle-price

Latest posts