How times have changed - an opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
I am talking about how many kids dress now while showing livestock (all species). 5 to 10 years ago, all exhibitors wore long sleeves and nice jeans. The boys shirts were starched and pressed and so were their jeans. The girls wore pressed shirts, some may have a little bling, nice belts and pressed jeans. They all looked professional.

Lately, the dress is getting so casual. Jeans with holes and rumpled shirts. I spoke with a judge about it at our county fair and he did not like the trend either. He told me that if he is judging showmanship, he will over look those who do not dress the part.

IMHO,If the exhibitor takes the time to make their animal look it's best, they should do the same.

I'm not a fan either, we always wear a solid colored shirt and nice jeans - no holes. What bothers me the most is all the bling. It's everywhere - show stick, halters, belts, jeans, shirts. It's distracting, especially when a person wears all of it at once. I'm not saying there should be no bling, I own some rhinestone belts, but geez, they need to pick one or two pieces and leave it at that. Sometimes I feel like I'm being blinded by the person showing next to me.

Kudos to the judge for taking notice, and acting upon it.

Latest posts