milk proteins and fats and rate of gain in calves

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
I've looked around but haven't really found much research on the relationships between milk fats and proteins and the rate of gain of calves in beef cattle.

Beta Casein
Kappa Casein
A1 vs A2 milk
Beta Lactoglobulin

...anyhow, I thought I'd put this subject up to see if anyone has come across anything that discusses the preferred genotype of the cow for these (and other?) traits.

My little theory (that I've so far not been able to back up) is that the genotypes that result in the best cheese production would be related to the genotypes that would result in the best rates of gain in calves.

I don't know about "growth", but it has been tossed around by some of the SGF crowd that high butterfat leads to better marbling calves. I think it definitely leads to fleshier possibly healthier (as in not getting sick as often) calves.

Well, there's some thesis material for someone who wants to study it!

For the average farmer it's a little hard to do the testing, especially on beef cows.. unless you want a daily "wild cow milking contest" like at some rodeos!

A hair sample or blood sample, a box with padding, a sample submission form, and a check made out to Igenity/Geneseeek (or UC Davis, or whatever lab of your choice), and within 2-3 weeks you can get the genotype of your cattle for the main milk proteins (Beta Casein, Kappa Casein and Beta Lactoglobulin) and A1 vs A2 milk ... and, if you want, you can use this information when deciding which animals of the youngest generation get to stick around as breeding stock.

These tests will only tell you if they're positive for the desired traits ... not necessarily how much of that desired trait they'll produce. These tests are not EPDs, but raw genotypes.

For example, after doing some testing, I know that one of my bulls is BB for Kappa Casein (the options are AA, AB or BB, and BB is the better of the two, as far as cheese production), AA for Beta Casein (again, BB is the better of the two), is homozygous A2 (vs A1) milk, and is homozygous BB for Beta Lactoglobulin (BB is the better of the two).

And since I have another bull that is "AB" for Beta Casein, if I'm trying to get animals that are homozygous for the preferred genetics for cheese production (even though I'm not trying to make cheese, just calves that grow better and are healthier), I might want to use him (or another bull that's homozygous BB for Beta Casein) on the daughters of the first bull (for example).

I'm also doing the work to get the genotypes for leptin, calpain and calpastatin...among other markers...

What does it mean as far as weaning weights, etc. I don't know ... but, I've got a theory and we'll see how it works.

All of this is a part of my quest to get the best tasting beef possible ... and my theory is that milk fats and proteins inform the palatability profile (not just the marbling) of the carcass. I have no idea what the "SGF crowd" is thinking ... just what I'm thinking.

WalnutCrest":3w2w6ulg said:
I've looked around but haven't really found much research on the relationships between milk fats and proteins and the rate of gain of calves in beef cattle.

Beta Casein
Kappa Casein
A1 vs A2 milk
Beta Lactoglobulin

...anyhow, I thought I'd put this subject up to see if anyone has come across anything that discusses the preferred genotype of the cow for these (and other?) traits.

My little theory (that I've so far not been able to back up) is that the genotypes that result in the best cheese production would be related to the genotypes that would result in the best rates of gain in calves.

Water buffalo should be perfect.

WalnutCrest":cqcpn5lx said:

I believe your theory is correct.
Milk replacer studies have shown rapid early growth when feeding higher levels of fat and protein.
The best cheese production comes from breeds with the highest milk fats and proteins.
However calves from intensive milk replacer feeding programs lost their early gains advantage after entering the feedlot
and there was no significant difference in feedlot performance for finishing weights or carcass evaluations at slaughter.
But, dairy heifers from intensive milk replacer feeding programs showed a slight increase in 1st lactation milk production
over their contemporaries.

Son of Butch":13vjylwq said:
WalnutCrest":13vjylwq said:

I believe your theory is correct.
Milk replacer studies have shown rapid early growth when feeding higher levels of fat and protein.
The best cheese production comes from breeds with the highest milk fats and proteins.
However calves from intensive milk replacer feeding programs lost their early gains advantage after entering the feedlot
and there was no significant difference in feedlot performance for finishing weights or carcass evaluations at slaughter.
But, dairy heifers from intensive milk replacer feeding programs showed a slight increase in 1st lactation milk production
over their contemporaries.

Hmmm...

Interesting...

If you have a link to that research, I'd live to see it.

Latest posts