Taking bets

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
The wife and I are leaving town friday afternoon for our 6 year anniversary, will be gone till Sunday.

I've got a mare that is starting to bag up some over the last couple of days and a cow that has been bagged up for a week now, and has also had the clear discharge hanging out for about that amount of time too.

I know since we'll be gone for the weekend both will probably have their babies?

Nope. One of them will have it right before you leave with a major issue that will make you stay home and take care of it. Been there, done that.

J":2tbj11nh said:
The wife and I are leaving town friday afternoon for our 6 year anniversary, will be gone till Sunday.

I've got a mare that is starting to bag up some over the last couple of days and a cow that has been bagged up for a week now, and has also had the clear discharge hanging out for about that amount of time too.

I know since we'll be gone for the weekend both will probably have their babies?
not wishing you any bad luck but if they were mine two things would happen yes they will have there babies and would have problems. if your luck is like mine i aint betting

I'm thinking a split. One will be born while you are gone, and the other within a day or two of your return.

Bonus: I'm guessing one male and one female newborn

Ryan

my money's on both being born while you're gone, and both of without the Moms even noticing you're not there!
That's how it goes, we fuss and fart around them, watching their every move, then they go drop 'em when we go in for supper.

i think the cow will go into labor right before you are planning to leave and the mare will have hers the night that you leave at 4 am.

Beefy":33pxzjzi said:
the mare will have hers the night that you leave at 4 am.
Wrong Beefy. I'll bet you $5.00 that the mare will foal at 3:30 AM. Bet is payable at Crowders Get Together. :lol:

Hey thanks for all the positive responses, it helped put my mind at ease as for those that were not so positive thanks for those too because I understand that with cattle and horses ____ happens and usually when you have plans to go somewhere.

Just to let ya'll know neither one had their baby but both seem to be close, oh well maybe it's just me being alittle impatient? ;-)

Thanks again :D :D

Yep, the longer I watch and worry the longer it takes. Had two heifers last week, same day, one I could see front two feet in the sac all day long sticking out the back of her and the other was ready to go but, not showing anything. After 11 hours of looking at feet, I told my wife at 11pm that I was going back out and I was gonna bust the sac if nothing had happened yet. Went back out and had two new heifer calves on the ground getting clean up. Never again will I worry myself to death and look every five minutes.

Isn;t there an old saying about "A watched heifer never calves" or something? Maybe it has to do with pots and boiling

dun

la4angus":2qe1b9nf said:
Beefy":2qe1b9nf said:
the mare will have hers the night that you leave at 4 am.
Wrong Beefy. I'll bet you $5.00 that the mare will foal at 3:30 AM. Bet is payable at Crowders Get Together. :lol:

Looks like were even, LA.

Well the cow had hers saturday and all went well. I don't know exactly when she had it, I didn't see her much saturday duing the day, we had a wedding to go to in the afternoon, so when we got home I went looking for her and she was back in the woods and brush with a nice looking calf. I'm pretty sure it a heifer but the cow is doing her job at keeping me away, so I didn't bother them too much. I'll try and get some pics up but no promises.

The horse on the other hand is getting bigger and bigger and should go soon. If not she might pop. :D

Thanks again. :)

J":qw3l54g4 said:
Well the cow had hers saturday and all went well. I don't know exactly when she had it, I didn't see her much saturday duing the day, we had a wedding to go to in the afternoon, so when we got home I went looking for her and she was back in the woods and brush with a nice looking calf. I'm pretty sure it a heifer but the cow is doing her job at keeping me away, so I didn't bother them too much. I'll try and get some pics up but no promises.

The horse on the other hand is getting bigger and bigger and should go soon. If not she might pop. :D

Thanks again. :)

With mares we just watched for them starting to wax up

dun

Latest posts