What is this plant?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I finally went outside to stretch my legs. I noticed this growing on the fence. It has a round pod on it and a pretty purple and white flower. It is a vine with a three pronged leaf. The pods feel light and hollow. I couldn't find anything on the internet. Any guesses?

It grows all over out here (mostly in creeks)! Lots of people eat either the flower or the fruit, I can not remember right now. Pretty flower, we enjoy them over here.

The flower is also symbolic of the crucifixion of Jesus. I forgot how it goes but you could google it and probably find the story and how the flower depicts it.

Jogeephus":nl3ge4rf said:
Passion flower. Brew some tea and relax.
I think you are right. Here is the flower. Is the fruit any good? How can you tell if it is ripe?

Any good? That would depend. If you are a root doctor and like messing with medicinal plants you might smoke it or you might brew a tea out of the fruit and leaves. It has a mild sedative property which might not be a bad thing given your condition. It has been used for years for cramps and stuff and I am sure your great grandmother could have told you all about them. Nothing major just a mild sedative I am told. My son is somewhat of an expert on them and did a lot of research on them for other reasons. While I've never heard of them harming anyone I can check with him just to be sure if you are interested in brewing some tea for your belly. And no, you aren't going to go seeing sh!t or anything like that but there are a few more plants that grow up your way that might be a little better.

Jogeephus":3cn49n53 said:
Any good? That would depend. If you are a root doctor and like messing with medicinal plants you might smoke it or you might brew a tea out of the fruit and leaves. It has a mild sedative property which might not be a bad thing given your condition. It has been used for years for cramps and stuff and I am sure your great grandmother could have told you all about them. Nothing major just a mild sedative I am told. My son is somewhat of an expert on them and did a lot of research on them for other reasons. While I've never heard of them harming anyone I can check with him just to be sure if you are interested in brewing some tea for your belly. And no, you aren't going to go seeing be nice or anything like that but there are a few more plants that grow up your way that might be a little better.
I would be interested in the relaxing tea. If you get a chance pick his brain a bit. I wonder if you use the flowers for tea? They sure smell nice.

Hoss, he just called me back and what he said was really interesting. He said you can eat the flower but only eat a few. If you use the leaves it is best to dry them because the leaves have prussic acid in them and some genotypes have higher concentrations but this will dissipate as it dries. He didn't give any specifics on the fruit since he only studied the leaves but he said they were edible too and all would act as a sedative. He said what is interesting is the plant tries to shut your body down but your body will kick in gear and it will speed up you metabolism and make you burn calories even though you feel relaxed and calm. He also told me if you ingest enough of it - a lot - you might just start seeing things. I didn't know that. But he said its been used for hundreds of years and as long as you take it in moderation he has never heard of anyone getting sick from it.

Jogeephus":29st1huh said:
Hoss, he just called me back and what he said was really interesting. He said you can eat the flower but only eat a few. If you use the leaves it is best to dry them because the leaves have prussic acid in them and some genotypes have higher concentrations but this will dissipate as it dries. He didn't give any specifics on the fruit since he only studied the leaves but he said they were edible too and all would act as a sedative. He said what is interesting is the plant tries to shut your body down but your body will kick in gear and it will speed up you metabolism and make you burn calories even though you feel relaxed and calm. He also told me if you ingest enough of it - a lot - you might just start seeing things. I didn't know that. But he said its been used for hundreds of years and as long as you take it in moderation he has never heard of anyone getting sick from it.
Thanks Jo....that is interesting!

Hoss it looks like passion fruit we have over here. The fruit usually changes to a bit of a purple colour when ripe, cut it in half and spoon out the juice and seeds, can be eaten straight or put over icecream, very sweet and sharp.
Don't eat it on my advice though until someone positively ID's it.
Ken

I have an easy recipe under the recent "Persimmons, Muscadines, and Acorns" thread

Hoss, they are ripe when the outer "rind" get a bit wrinkled.

Latest posts