The North American Limousin Foundation (NALF) has compiled the statistics for its recently completed fiscal year and determined the breed's most popular sires. Together, the top 10 bulls produced more than 4,400 registered Limousin and Lim Flex® calves.
“Those sires represent the value of one of the most effective genetic improvement tools available today – artificial insemination,” said Kent Andersen, Ph.D., executive vice president for NALF. “Using today's highly proven AI sires can boost weaning weights, improve postweaning efficiency, increase carcass value and produce better replacement females.”
Research conducted by NALF and Colorado State University (CSU) indicates Limousin bulls sold at auctions in 2005 and 2006 brought $402 more if conceived by AI compared to natural service.
The list of top 10 Limousin sires and their owners follows.
1. JCL Lodestar 27l – Magness Land and Cattle, Platteville, Colo.; Kervin Cattle Co., Winnfield, La.; and Coyote Hills Ranch, Chattanooga, Okla.
2. GPFF Blaque Rulon – Kervin Cattle Co., Winnfield, La.
3. COLE Wulf Hunt – Hunt Limousin Ranch, Oxford, Neb., and Wulf Limousin Farms, Morris, Minn.
4. AUTO Black Dakota 129J – Valley View Land and Cattle, West Falls, N.Y., and Express Ranches, Yukon, Okla.
5. EF Main Stay 541M – Etherton Farms, Dawson, Ill.; Magness Land and Cattle, Platteville, Colo.; and Express Ranches, Yukon, Okla.
6. Wulfs Guardian 5074G – Express Ranches, Yukon, Okla.; Wulf Limousin Farms, Morris, Minn.; and ABS Global, DeForest, Wis.
7. TNUH Blue Print 245H – Magness Land and Cattle, Platteville, Colo.
8. RADS Black Prodigy – Express Ranches, Yukon, Okla.; Larry Simmons Farms, Coolville, Ohio; Riverdale Ranch, West, Miss.; and High Point Ranch, Marysville, Calif.
9. Carrousels Nasdaq – Minerich Land and Cattle Co., Richmond, Ky., and Bohi Land and Cattle Co., Wellsville, Kansas.
10. EXLR New Generation 071M – Express Ranches, Yukon, Okla.; Deer Valley Farm, Fayetteville, Tenn.; Magness Land and Cattle, Platteville, Colo.; and Oak Knoll Farm, Clinton, S.C.
Pedigrees and expected progeny differences (EPDs) for any registered Limousin or Lim Flex bull is available through various features of the NALF Web site (www.nalf.org), including the Animal EPD Search, Sire Selector and Limousin Exchange Bull Listing Service. The most recent sire summary also is in the site's “Programs” section, or a printed copy of it can be requested from the NALF office, (303) 220-1693, for $5.