Ultrablackô, Ultraredô, Brangus Optimizers, and Brangus Premium Gold are all words used by the International Brangus Breeders Association (IBBA) to highlight the contributions of the Brangus and Brangus type females to the commercial segment of the beef chain.
UltraBlack females are defined as Angus x Brangus and black in color. These cattle are either 1/8 AN: 7/8 BN or 12.5 percent AN:87.5 percent BN and 7/8AN: 1/8 BN or 87.5 percent AN: 12.5BN.
UltraRed females are defined as Angus x Brangus and red in color. These cattle are either 1/8AN:7/8 BN or 12.5 percent AN:87.5 percent BN and 7/8AN: 1/8 BN or 87.5 percent AN: 12.5BN.
These females in the Ultra program receive a certificate of registry as an Ultrablack or Ultrared.
The qualifications for the Brangus Optimizer program include that the animal must always maintain 50 percent Brangus genetic base. The structure is as follows
1. Derivative cattle from this program will be called Brangus Optimizers and will always maintain a minimum of 50 percent Brangus genetics
2. Foundation cattle, male or female, can be from any breed and must be registered initially in that breeds' respective breed association
3. Foundation cattle will be assigned an enrollment number from IBBA under the Brangus Optimizer Program by submitting the original breed registration paper (or a copy) to IBBA for enrollment
4. Foundation cattle must bred to Brangus with the resulting progeny being genetically 50 percent Brangus and 50 percent of the Foundation breed. These progeny are eligible for receiving a recording number under the Brangus Optimizer recording program
5. A recorded Brangus optimizer may be bred back to Brangus with the resulting progeny also eligible for a Optimizer recording number
6. Any Brangus Optimizer may be bred to other Brangus Optimizers, regardless of the breed from the Foundation parent with the resulting progeny eligible for a Brangus Optimizer number (the progeny would still be 50 percent Brangus).
7. A Brangus Optimizer may not be bred bred back to a Foundation individual since the resulting progeny will genetically be less than 50 percent Brangus
8. The recording certificate will indicate the percentage of Brangus genetics as well as the percentage of the other Foundation breed(s).
9. Initial enrollment fee for Foundation cattle will be $6 and recording fee for a Brangus Optimizer will be at current IBBA requirements for registrations.
Brangus Premium Black Golds and Brangus Premium Red Golds must be females, be at least 50 percent Brangus and be sired by registered Brangus bulls or out of Brangus Premium Gold qualifying females. Black Gold or Red Gold females must be females, be at least 50 percent Brangus and can be sired by registered bulls but multiple sires are allowed.
These two programs identify and verify females with known Brangus heritage and by doing so offer the producers increased marketing opportunities through a diverse network.
Cowmen are required to submit a list of registered Brangus bulls and their registration numbers to the IBBA and purchase Brangus Premium Black or Red Gold tags or Black Gold/Red Gold tags to utilize the program.
For additional information contact the IBBA at 210/696-4343.