Tractor Exhaust Hieght ?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Tractor Exhaust Hieght ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:47 am

My current project tractor came with a stubby aftermarket muffler. After I put a new seat on it, the exhaust is below my head height. If there are no door clearance issues - - how far above you should the exhaust be on an open station tractor?
0 x
Stocker Steve

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Tractor Exhaust Hieght ?

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:06 am

You have doors on an open station tractor?
Both of mine are just a little above or just even with my head, but both have a slight angle in the pipe right at the top of the stack. The rain flap will also deflect most of the exhaust away from you if positioned right.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:21 am

Coincidentally, I am in the process of ordering two stainless 304 extensions for my open station tractors. One has been too short for far too long, below eye level, and I get headaches from the exhaust, so going to add at least a two, maybe three foot extension. Buggered the muffler on the other open tractor while bushhogging and need the same setup for it as I am putting same model Walker muffler on it.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:33 am

Someone needs to invent a "spring" exhaust that can be 5' high, but flex and spring back to position when I git tree branches.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:20 am

M.Magis wrote:Someone needs to invent a "spring" exhaust that can be 5' high, but flex and spring back to position when I git tree branches.

Flex pipe....... but they don't spring back straight and once hit, they usually bend down blowing right in your face and the flex joints leak rain water in after awhile.......
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:01 pm

greybeard wrote:
M.Magis wrote:Someone needs to invent a "spring" exhaust that can be 5' high, but flex and spring back to position when I git tree branches.

Flex pipe....... but they don't spring back straight and once hit, they usually bend down blowing right in your face and the flex joints leak rain water in after awhile.......

That may still be better than having to keep welding mine back on. I'll at least look into it, thanks.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Needs to be above your head and/or canopy.
Last edited by jltrent on Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:My current project tractor came with a stubby aftermarket muffler. After I put a new seat on it, the exhaust is below my head height. If there are no door clearance issues - - how far above you should the exhaust be on an open station tractor?

I prefer mine to exhaust under the tractor.
2 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Tractor Exhaust Height ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Aaron wrote:Coincidentally, I am in the process of ordering two stainless 304 extensions for my open station tractors. One has been too short for far too long, below eye level, and I get headaches from the exhaust, so going to add at least a two, maybe three foot extension.

Who are you ordering thru?
Why stainless?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:56 pm

I like a good foot above eye level, I prefer an angle cut on it to a rain flap
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:57 pm

I've known some, with certain tractors, that they were able to flip the exhaust manifold upside down, and run the the exhaust out the bottom and back like they did with 8n & 9n Fords, but lots of tractors that isn't possible or even desirable because of the rough environment & terrain the bottom of the tractor sees..
0 x

Covet Not!

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:My current project tractor came with a stubby aftermarket muffler. After I put a new seat on it, the exhaust is below my head height. If there are no door clearance issues - - how far above you should the exhaust be on an open station tractor?

I prefer mine to exhaust under the tractor.

I have a bottom exhaust on my 3000, and I prefer it for all times of year except hay season. It drags in the wind row while baling and once started a small fire.
1 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Tractor Exhaust Height ?

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Coincidentally, I am in the process of ordering two stainless 304 extensions for my open station tractors. One has been too short for far too long, below eye level, and I get headaches from the exhaust, so going to add at least a two, maybe three foot extension.

Who are you ordering thru?
Why stainless?

Getting a quote through company on EBay that makes them up in US. He had multiple lengths and sizes and bundles, but not a 2' section of 2.25" ID to 2.25" OD. 3' yes, but I don't want to cut off and waste any. I would guess based on his other prices that it will be about $50 US for two of them. I'll PM you the name later tonight when I look it up.

Going stainless because I hate rust on exhaust pipes. The muffler - Walker Quiet Flow SS is Walker's top end muffler and stainless - still as bright and clean as the day I bought it about 8 years ago. And it is always outside. And it definitely is quiet, without sacrificing flow.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 am

greybeard wrote:You have doors on an open station tractor?
Both of mine are just a little above or just even with my head, but both have a slight angle in the pipe right at the top of the stack. The rain flap will also deflect most of the exhaust away from you if positioned right.

Same here except I found the angled tip, positioned away and slightly to the left of center of me works best....cut off at an angle (vertical), no rain cap....used a tin can if it had to sit out overnight.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 am

I use a rain flapper turned around backwards on all my open station tractors. They work really good at deflecting the exhaust sound away.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”