Cleaning a tractor diesel tank

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Cleaning a tractor diesel tank

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:18 am

Brute 23 wrote:My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame.

My last project tractor had this. I ran a wire up into it initally to get it to drain. The gunk came out thick and dark gray. Did this each time, after I had after used the tractor, and refilled the sump, till it ran red. I think you can get away with a lot more with the older tractors which have more and larger fuel filters in series (my record is four), and courser filtration on the primary.
0 x
Stocker Steve

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:46 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I just bought some algecide. cost an arm and a darned leg, little 4 ounce bottle was nearly $40 but it treats 500 gallon.
I know my truck has goop in the tank, and the farm fuel tank probably does as well

I spoke with my fuel supplier, and he assured me that they use the good additives (apparently they have several to chose from) and I do not need to add lube or algecide. What do you think?

BS.. you need lube for sure, not sure about algecide.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:10 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I just bought some algecide. cost an arm and a darned leg, little 4 ounce bottle was nearly $40 but it treats 500 gallon.
I know my truck has goop in the tank, and the farm fuel tank probably does as well

I spoke with my fuel supplier, and he assured me that they use the good additives (apparently they have several to chose from) and I do not need to add lube or algecide. What do you think?

I have several 300 gallon tanks. Minimum order out is 500 gallons which can last me a year and a half to two years these days. I remember having to clear a line years ago on a tractor that came from the northwest. I don’t add anything and haven’t had problems. I do realize our climates are quite different. Might have some effect.

I’d say listen to your supplier.....if it can be trusted.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame.

My last project tractor had this. I ran a wire up into it initally to get it to drain. The gunk came out thick and dark gray. Did this each time, after I had after used the tractor, and refilled the sump, till it ran red.

Yep, my Case backhoe has one...way up there and running the wire in always gets me a gunk/diesel soaked arm..then, once it's running clear, you still have to reach up and close the petcock. fun fun
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”