Cleaning a tractor diesel tank

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Cleaning a tractor diesel tank

Post by Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:18 am

Brute 23 wrote:My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame.

My last project tractor had this. I ran a wire up into it initally to get it to drain. The gunk came out thick and dark gray. Did this each time, after I had after used the tractor, and refilled the sump, till it ran red. I think you can get away with a lot more with the older tractors which have more and larger fuel filters in series (my record is four), and courser filtration on the primary.
Stocker Steve

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:46 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I just bought some algecide. cost an arm and a darned leg, little 4 ounce bottle was nearly $40 but it treats 500 gallon.
I know my truck has goop in the tank, and the farm fuel tank probably does as well

I spoke with my fuel supplier, and he assured me that they use the good additives (apparently they have several to chose from) and I do not need to add lube or algecide. What do you think?

BS.. you need lube for sure, not sure about algecide.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:10 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I just bought some algecide. cost an arm and a darned leg, little 4 ounce bottle was nearly $40 but it treats 500 gallon.
I know my truck has goop in the tank, and the farm fuel tank probably does as well

I spoke with my fuel supplier, and he assured me that they use the good additives (apparently they have several to chose from) and I do not need to add lube or algecide. What do you think?

I have several 300 gallon tanks. Minimum order out is 500 gallons which can last me a year and a half to two years these days. I remember having to clear a line years ago on a tractor that came from the northwest. I don’t add anything and haven’t had problems. I do realize our climates are quite different. Might have some effect.

I’d say listen to your supplier.....if it can be trusted.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame.

My last project tractor had this. I ran a wire up into it initally to get it to drain. The gunk came out thick and dark gray. Did this each time, after I had after used the tractor, and refilled the sump, till it ran red.

Yep, my Case backhoe has one...way up there and running the wire in always gets me a gunk/diesel soaked arm..then, once it's running clear, you still have to reach up and close the petcock. fun fun
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!