Pressurized sand blasting pot

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
SALTBRANCH2
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am

Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby SALTBRANCH2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:14 pm

I gambled and bought one of the 110 lb pressurized sand blasting pots from Harbor Freight today. I have been needing a sand blaster of some sort for quite awhile. Pretty much put it off because I have never used one before. After spending some quality time with several wire wheels on my grinder yesterday I was at HF front door when they opened this morning. I got some black diamond fine media from TSC and I was off to the races. I had to blast and clean up some old/rusty grocery store carts that we will be using in a our new Antique store when it opens in November. For what I am doing, this thing rocks. So just throwing it out there in case anyone was in my shoes yesterday.
1 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13582
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby Nesikep » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 pm

I just got a suction feed sandblaster.. POS but for the occasional rust spot when doing body work, it does the trick
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby Redgully » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 am

The pots are good if you have a good air supply. A lot of people only realise this after buying them. Hose size is important too. I haven't used one but have seen them used and they are the ones you hook up to a pressure washer. They rip old paint and rust off. I just wonder about flash rusting after!
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13582
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby Nesikep » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 am

Oh yeah, you'll definitely get rust in a big hurry after!.. On a big project you'd probably want to have someone come behind you with a leaf blower or something
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7587
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:55 am

The sand blaster works good the shutoff at the nozzle stinks. I bought a good gun and it made all the difference.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4815
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby callmefence » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:53 am

I would think rusty shopping carts wouldn't be problem in a antique store......
2 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
SALTBRANCH2
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby SALTBRANCH2 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 am

callmefence wrote:I would think rusty shopping carts wouldn't be problem in a antique store......

I agree but my wife wants them painted pink. That's the stores theme color I guess is what you would call it. We have a pink Suburban company truck and I built a headache rack for her truck and had to paint it and the side mount tool boxes pink also. Sure is tough driving a pink burb around.
1 x

User avatar
SALTBRANCH2
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby SALTBRANCH2 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 am

Redgully wrote:The pots are good if you have a good air supply. A lot of people only realise this after buying them. Hose size is important too. I haven't used one but have seen them used and they are the ones you hook up to a pressure washer. They rip old paint and rust off. I just wonder about flash rusting after!


Very true on the air compressors. I have a 21 gallon and a 29 gallon air compressors. I hooked them up in parallel to get more CFM. The 29 gallon was border line at best. Running in parallel worked great
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4815
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby callmefence » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 am

SALTBRANCH2 wrote:
callmefence wrote:I would think rusty shopping carts wouldn't be problem in a antique store......

I agree but my wife wants them painted pink. That's the stores theme color I guess is what you would call it. We have a pink Suburban company truck and I built a headache rack for her truck and had to paint it and the side mount tool boxes pink also. Sure is tough driving a pink burb around.


That's what we'll call you from here on......pink. :D
3 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
SALTBRANCH2
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby SALTBRANCH2 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 am

callmefence wrote:
SALTBRANCH2 wrote:
callmefence wrote:I would think rusty shopping carts wouldn't be problem in a antique store......

I agree but my wife wants them painted pink. That's the stores theme color I guess is what you would call it. We have a pink Suburban company truck and I built a headache rack for her truck and had to paint it and the side mount tool boxes pink also. Sure is tough driving a pink burb around.


That's what we'll call you from here on......pink. :D


I feel like I can relate to that song by Johnny Cash..A Boy Named Sue when driving the pink Suburban. I have already tinted the windows as dark as I can legally :lol:
3 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:28 pm

Get a good respirator. That black diamond stuff leads down a fast road to silicosis.
2 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13582
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Pressurized sand blasting pot

Postby Nesikep » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 am

SALTBRANCH2 wrote:
Redgully wrote:The pots are good if you have a good air supply. A lot of people only realise this after buying them. Hose size is important too. I haven't used one but have seen them used and they are the ones you hook up to a pressure washer. They rip old paint and rust off. I just wonder about flash rusting after!


Very true on the air compressors. I have a 21 gallon and a 29 gallon air compressors. I hooked them up in parallel to get more CFM. The 29 gallon was border line at best. Running in parallel worked great

the gallons in the tank just means it'll take longer to discharge, it's the CFM rating that matters.

We just picked up a 3 cyl Lister Petter military diesel air compressor for $700USD.. 24 hp, TINY tank but charges pretty much instantly..
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests