Light

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Light

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:57 pm
On the Flintstones, a small bird sits inside the light and turns it on every night before he goes to bed.
:lol2:
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Ohio Cowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Ohio Cowboy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 pm

Shoot... if I was closer I would climb up and changing it for you. Or I'll bet I can bring my hooks as a carry on it you buy the ticket...

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 pm

Ohio Cowboy wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 pm
Shoot... if I was closer I would climb up and changing it for you. Or I'll bet I can bring my hooks as a carry on it you buy the ticket...
TSA probably won't let you anywhere near an airplane with something that pointed...
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sstterry » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 am

STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!!
If it is anywhere near the transformer you need to let the power company deal with it. Those wires leading to the transformer are not insulated and probably are carrying about 7200 volts. The electricity can arc if you get anywhere near them. You don't have to touch them, only get close to them to be electrocuted. I have seen several of deaths and severe injuries from these situations and it is not something you need to do by yourself.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:10 am

It is actually above the transformer a bit. It is a bucket truck deal for sure. Either that or just go on living in the dark. I got busy yesterday doing nothing and forgot to call Idaho Power. It is on my list for today.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sstterry » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 am

Dave wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:10 am
It is actually above the transformer a bit. It is a bucket truck deal for sure. Either that or just go on living in the dark. I got busy yesterday doing nothing and forgot to call Idaho Power. It is on my list for today.
Good that you are calling the Power Company. There is a reason they put those things 30' feet above the ground. It is so you can't get near them. They refer to it as "air insulation". I am representing a widow right now whose husband was electrocuted while filling a grain bin. The Utility wires in that case were way out of code!

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:49 pm

I called Idaho Power. They said they would have someone out in a day or two.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Night lights are ok if you live in town, there's countless other lights so one more makes no difference. Don't know why anybody would want one in the wilderness, most unnatural. You can see them from unlimited distances.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:43 pm

ga.prime wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 pm
Night lights are ok if you live in town, there's countless other lights so one more makes no difference. Don't know why anybody would want one in the wilderness, most unnatural. You can see them from unlimited distances.
Forget to leave a porch light on and stay out after dark. It can be pitch dark here. Two months ago it didn't get light until 7:30 and was dark by 4:30. Just walking to the shop, wood shed, barn, or the pickup required a flash light. Drive down the road in this valley after dark and you can pick out the ranches by the light they all have in their yard. By the time you can see ours you are on our property. Might be on the county road but it is where that road cuts through our property. Want to be out in lightless wilderness? Go North that wilderness runs for 20 miles, or West the next ranch is 15 miles, or to the South it is probably 40 miles or more. But in my yard I don't care to stumble around in the dark.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:07 am

About 6 years ago, I had an old Ford rear tractor wheel in the yard, turned upside down to use as a 'fire pit'. Came walking out of the shop late one night, headed for the back porch in the dark, and decided to go around the side of the house to the front porch instead and tripped over the wheel in the dark. Foot caught the first rim it encountered, I fell with both shins down on the other side of the steel rim. I thought I had broke both legs. Pretty sure both my shinbones are still dented.
I put up a dusk til dawn light in the back yard 2 days later and threw the tractor rim on the scrap pile........we never used it anyway.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:32 am

I keep a tactical flashlight hanging on a hook by the back door. I started carrying it if I walked out of the house at night a couple of years ago after I drove up to the back of the house and there was a rattlesnake layed out next to the door step. I don't even like turning on headlights when I'm off road at night.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Ohio Cowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Ohio Cowboy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:17 pm

sstterry wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 am
You don't have to touch them, only get close to them to be electrocuted.
I wont argue that Dave shouldn't mess with it but lets not get carried away.... :lol:

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Ohio Cowboy wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:17 pm
sstterry wrote:
I wont argue that Dave shouldn't mess with it but lets not get carried away.... :lol:
Even at 7200V you still have to get pretty close for the air gap to be jumped, but I ain't about to tempt fate.
Look at a spark plug with 40,000v. It'll jump the .020 air gap but not the 1/4 gap to the side of the plug.
On line in voltage, lots depends on some variables including atmospheric pressure, humidity and any pollutants in the air but I want yards, not inches or even a foot safety gap, and still would be nervous as heck.
Got hit by indirect lightening when I was young......it HURTS.
Dave did the smart thing.

Covet Not!

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sstterry » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm

Ohio Cowboy wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:17 pm
sstterry wrote:
"Strike Distance" is what it is referred to at some the Utilities. For instance, the strike distance of a 346kv line is roughly 40 inches. The higher the voltage the more distance the electricity can jump or arc. Ever set that spark on your electric fence? Same principle only very low voltage. Humans are wet and squishy making us excellent conductors.

And as a PSA, everyone should know that all those power lines above the road or your barn are most likely not covered. They rely on what is called "air insulation".

Ohio Cowboy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Ohio Cowboy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:13 pm

"Strike Distance" is what it is referred to at some the Utilities. For instance, the strike distance of a 346kv line is roughly 40 inches. The higher the voltage the more distance the electricity can jump or arc. Ever set that spark on your electric fence? Same principle only very low voltage. Humans are wet and squishy making us excellent conductors.

And as a PSA, everyone should know that all those power lines above the road or your barn are most likely not covered. They rely on what is called "air insulation".
Your fence should actually have very high voltage. 345kv isnt anything even comparable to the same animal as 7kv. Actually just got done handling some live 7kv, these high winds are making for lots of work. And even better service announcement would be to treat all lines as energized, even the covered ones offer little to no true protection. Stay safe my friends