International 1486

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Lbass
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: International 1486

Post by Lbass » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 am

The shifting linkage is a bear to service. You will want to attempt to keep it lubed or it takes the strength of 10 men to get it into reverse. I cut a hole in the side of the cab below the fender in front of the drivers side tire. Spray white lithium grease in, and close the little hatch. Made a different tractor out of it as far as user friendly goes.

Mine starts good down to 38*... Pretty sure my block heater isn't working. Going to take it in and check the block heater and alternator this week. Has somewhere around 14,000 hours on it. Most problems I have are fuel filters from crap offroad fuel. I just drive it to town now and put 80 gallons or so of on road in at a time. cheaper than filters all the time.

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Post by ChrisB » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:04 pm

I put an air ride seat in our 1086 and it made a world of difference. People will complain about the TA being a weak spot, but they are 40 year old tractors, so having the TA worked on every 30-40 years isn't the worst thing. I think there were some improvements to the TA rebuilds also, I was going to get the eliminator put in ours when it went out but the dealer said it was close to the same price as having the TA repaired and they had yet to get a repaired one back in the shop and they knew a lot of people abuse them. As was mentioned, use the TA - 50% of the time in high and 50% in low. Ours shifts nice, you just have to be patient; have rpm's around 1000, push in clutch and count to 5 and it will slide right into gear. Not a good thing for a loader tractor but for field work not a big deal. Best starting tractor on the farm.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Well I called twice Saturday. They text me today and said someone was supposed to bring money this week. Said if they backed out they’d call me

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Ky cowboy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:30 pm

I like my 1086 just bought a 2350 loader for it, still have to make a bracket for it then I'll see how I like it as a loader tractor. Mine has had ta delete fuel pump and a lot more parts but it was setting for several years it only has 3000 hours now

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Lbass wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:32 am
The shifting linkage is a bear to service. You will want to attempt to keep it lubed or it takes the strength of 10 men to get it into reverse. I cut a hole in the side of the cab below the fender in front of the drivers side tire. Spray white lithium grease in, and close the little hatch. Made a different tractor out of it as far as user friendly goes.

Mine starts good down to 38*... Pretty sure my block heater isn't working. Going to take it in and check the block heater and alternator this week. Has somewhere around 14,000 hours on it. Most problems I have are fuel filters from crap offroad fuel. I just drive it to town now and put 80 gallons or so of on road in at a time. cheaper than filters all the time.
try a bed tank in your pick up or put a square cell on a trailer it beats driving it to town.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.