4wd & front end loaders

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
gertman
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

4wd & front end loaders

Postby gertman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:47 pm

In yall's opinion is 4wd necessary with a loader on a tractor with about 60 hp. For those of you without it do you wish you had spent the 4 grand extra to get it? I will mostly use the loader to move hay with a spear and brush with a grapple.
0 x

certherfbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby certherfbeef » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:58 pm

We have a loader on an IH 706. Gets around just fine. The Back tires are loaded, that helps ALOT. I wouldn't say you need the 4 wheel drive for the loader, but the grapple might be a different story.
0 x
Where will you be sitting in eternity?

Smoking or non-smoking?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: 4wd & front end loaders

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:00 pm

gertman wrote:In yall's opinion is 4wd necessary with a loader on a tractor with about 60 hp. For those of you without it do you wish you had spent the 4 grand extra to get it? I will mostly use the loader to move hay with a spear and brush with a grapple.

You bet I have one of both use the 4wd about 80% of the time just performs better.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Mahoney Pursley Ranch » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:28 pm

With the black glue I got that they call soil ya gotta have 4 wheel drive!
0 x
If it will it will
If it won't it won't ---------- Bocephus

Bez
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:41 pm

Well, after feeding today a couple dozen or so round bales - I travelled down a snow filled road in the bush with a load on the front end - snow belly deep on the cows. I climbed a couple of hills that were glare ice - I had a tough time walking up when I got off the tractor. I then splashed my way through some mud - VERY deep - when I broke through the frost back by the swamp.

No two wheel drive could have done that - Case 5250 FWA with a loader.

Load up the front end of a 2WD tractor - those narrow tires really cut into the soft ground.

Only way to go for rough travel. Smooth dry ground - 2 wheel works fine.

Bez
0 x
I wish I had all the answers!

Wewild
GURU
GURU

Postby Wewild » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:45 pm

Bez wrote:Well, after feeding today a couple dozen or so round bales - I travelled down a snow filled road in the bush with a load on the front end - belly deep on the cows. I climbed a couple of hills that were glare ice - I had a tough time walking up when I got off the tractor. I then splashed my way through some mud - VERY deep - when I broke through the frost back by the swamp.

No two wheel drive could have done that - Case 5250 FWA with a loader.

Bez

I have to make do with 2 wheel drive ...... would be easier with 4 but we probably don't have it as bad as you.
0 x

certherfbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby certherfbeef » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:49 pm

Bez wrote:
Load up the front end of a 2WD tractor - those narrow tires really cut into the soft ground.

Bez

Point taken...

We have flotation tires on the front. And no where near Smooth dry ground. It isn't even flat. We manage to get stuck every once in a while, and granted we are not in Canada, but the 2 wheel drive does allright. ;-)
0 x

Smoking or non-smoking?

Bez
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:49 pm

Wewild - well, most of us do - unfortunately it was not my machine - it was a winter use gift from a neighbour for doing unto others.

BTAIM - they're great.

Bez
0 x

Wewild
GURU
GURU

Postby Wewild » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:57 pm

Bez wrote:Wewild - well, most of us do - unfortunately it was not my machine - it was a winter use gift from a neighbour for doing unto others.

BTAIM - they're great.

Bez

Hold in there Bez.....maybe it will open soon. Can't believe we have done this that long.

What is BTAIM?
0 x

Bez
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:45 am

Be That As It May!

:D

Bez
0 x

shorty
GURU
GURU

Postby shorty » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:19 am

I have an old ford 6600 with a loader with 2 wheel drive ,it works okay but it would be a whole lot better with 4 wheel drive , some dsy I would like to switch when I can afford to but it just didn't happen yet
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:33 am

I've been down both roads. I've gotten to prefer in most cases a 2wd vs 4wd. I don;t tend to get stuck nearly as often with 2wd. 4wd alwasy tempts me into spots that good judgment (and 2wd) would have kept me from getting into.

dun
0 x

certherfbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby certherfbeef » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:46 am

dun wrote: 4wd alwasy tempts me into spots that good judgment (and 2wd) would have kept me from getting into.

dun

Yep, just like a combine with 4 wheel drive. If it is that wet you have no business in the field anyhow.

Now I know that there are times when it can't be avoided. We have been in mud to our ears for the past almost 3 years. Could almost use half a drought this year. :roll:
0 x

Smoking or non-smoking?

jt
GURU
GURU

Re: 4wd & front end loaders

Postby jt » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:26 pm

gertman wrote:In yall's opinion is 4wd necessary with a loader on a tractor with about 60 hp.

there is no comparison imo... 4wd is the only way to go..

jt
0 x

CKC1586
GURU
GURU

Postby CKC1586 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:28 pm

My brother treated himself to a 4wd after having both knees replaced, we have a real big snow/mud problem, and it has been a real blessing for him. Hopefully after another week of current weather the snow will be gone and some of the mud will dry up. . . Well, I can hope.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”