2002 Ford F-250

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
wizzak
Beginner
Beginner

2002 Ford F-250

Postby wizzak » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:57 am

Hey Everyone help me please. I just finally won the battle and talked the wife into letting me get my dream truck. A Ford 2002 F-250. I need a real truck for farm work. Its a beautiful truck and she loves it but have had nothing but trouble with it. It has 69k miles on it. The first day I had it the wheel bearing went out and that took out the rotar and brakes etc.. 700 repair. Luckily it WAS under warantee. Now I can not get the 4-wheel drive to engage and get stuck everywhere on the farm. It is breaking my heart and dont know how much longer I can hide this problem. Today she caught me towing it off the farm with the tractor. I told her I had to tow the tractor backwards because it was stuck. The 4-wheel drive seems to engage while the truck is moving. I need some knowledge before I go to mechanic because it was only a 1000 mile warantee. I hope it is only a hose or something easier. Sorry about the long letter, and let me know if you need more info. As always thank you for your time.
0 x

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Postby buckaroo_bif » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:41 am

can't get what to engage the hubs or the gear box? mine gets all caked up with mud and rust on the linkage for the gearbox. take a garden hose maybe and wash it up good and work the linkage while its wet then lube it up. works for me
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:45 am

I wonder if when all of the other parts went foobar that it may have screwed up the hub or locking mechanism. Ofcourse that only is relevant if it was a front brake that was the problem.

dun
0 x

eric
GURU
GURU

Postby eric » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:01 am

Should we assume the 1000 miles is already up?

And by the way, way to go with the truck pulling the tractor backwards, that was some quick thinking on your part! :D
0 x

Diamond B Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Diamond B Ranch » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:56 pm

I'm bettin your truck has the ESOF system in which the automatic front hubs are vacuum actuated.

These things are notorious for having vacuum problems. Check on the backside of the wheel and find/examine the vacuum hose going to the backside of the hub, it may have deteriorated and is losing the vacuum needed to actuate the hubs.

I'm assuming you have electronic 4wd and not the manual type.

If that ain't it, give us more info and we'll go from there.

Chuck
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”