On Farm Service Labor Rate

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: On Farm Service Labor Rate

Postby greybeard » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:18 am

ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

I have mental retarded guys help me out. They can do quite a lot and are pretty smart. You just need to show them what to do. Are they going to do finish work ? no.. are they going to mess some things up? yes. But that is what you get. I do all final work and fix what they mess up if anything. They are very happy to work and will work for 10 hours a day no problem.

Of course overhead exists, but keeping it very low is the key. Some operations thats impossible though.

:lol2:
Thanks for the tip ddd I'll head down to Austin tomorrow and check with the state school.
You use the same method for the cheap insurance??

you asked, I told you, it works for me, those boys hold fences posts and put them where I want just fine. No high intelligence needed to build fence. ;-)

And that's when the fight started........
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:32 am

ddd75 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

I have mental retarded guys help me out. They can do quite a lot and are pretty smart. You just need to show them what to do. Are they going to do finish work ? no.. are they going to mess some things up? yes. But that is what you get. I do all final work and fix what they mess up if anything. They are very happy to work and will work for 10 hours a day no problem.

Of course overhead exists, but keeping it very low is the key. Some operations thats impossible though.

:lol2:
Thanks for the tip ddd I'll head down to Austin tomorrow and check with the state school.
You use the same method for the cheap insurance??

you asked, I told you, it works for me, those boys hold fences posts and put them where I want just fine. No high intelligence needed to build fence. ;-)

Nope. But it takes a fair amount to make a living out if it. Which you don't.
Along with not paying a decent wage, or having insurance or paying your taxes.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:55 am

Here's how I see. The $360 to show up seems like gravy until you have to buy a set of tires for that service truck , plus the $490 and the fellow makes $850 for the day. He probably made a little on the parts. You need to make that much a day to operate a service truck company in today's economy. Now if you can do a job like that almost 5 days a week you've got something. The dead days eat up the good days.
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:03 am

Kingfisher wrote:Here's how I see. The $360 to show up seems like gravy until you have to buy a set of tires for that service truck , plus the $490 and the fellow makes $850 for the day. He probably made a little on the parts. You need to make that much a day to operate a service truck company in today's economy. Now if you can do a job like that almost 5 days a week you've got something. The dead days eat up the good days.

That's a very good example. And when you have employees depending on a paycheck it gets eat up fast. If you don't keep them busy. they'll quit you and you'll end up with a crew of retards.
Many home repair and construction companies do no mark-up on parts or materials to avoid the burden of collecting sales tax.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:53 am

Kingfisher wrote:Here's how I see. The $360 to show up seems like gravy until you have to buy a set of tires for that service truck , plus the $490 and the fellow makes $850 for the day. He probably made a little on the parts. You need to make that much a day to operate a service truck company in today's economy. Now if you can do a job like that almost 5 days a week you've got something. The dead days eat up the good days.

Only someone without a lick of business sense would think the $360 is gravy.

The cost to o-w-n and o-p-e-r-a-t-e a service truck or van is 65 - 90 cents per mile or 45-60% of the $3 mileage rate
45-60% ($160-$220) of the $360 covers the cost owning and operating a service truck/van and pays for those tires ect.

The balance ($200-$140) is his pay for driving time To AND From job = 58 - 83 cents per mile driven
As a point of reference: Average Semi Truck Driver earns 35 cents per mile and earns over $66,000 per year.
My point being he is also compensated very well for driving.

The $490 is not his day's pay it is his pay for 2 hrs and then he drives to next job.... rinse and repeat.
The dead days are called Days Off.