Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Trucks, Tractors, and Machinery Used to Be Much Easier to Work On

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:13 am

The real money maker on Diesel is the government. Look at all the taxes piled on a gallon. Everything in this country rides on gallon of diesel.
You can thank the EPA for jacking up the price for the LSD joke.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:54 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bullitt wrote:
Dave wrote:The wife and I have been talking about a smaller SUV all wheel drive. One day we were in town and had some time to kill. Went to 4 different dealers just window shopping. All of the SUV had a backup camera. We were told you can't buy one without it. I asked if they still had mirrors?

Funny!

Yep, and they usually have a GPS system to tell you directions, WiFi Internet, satellite radio, power windows, power locks, power seats, heated seats, and on and on. Now I understand some people want these features. If I lived in Minnesota or something I would probably want heated seats. I do want power steering, air conditioning, and a regular stereo. Shouldn't they sell some vehicles with a standard transmission and without all the electronics? I know, most people under 40 these days can't drive a standard transmission and cannot put their smartphone down for five minutes. I saw a report on TV where they did experiments. People have withdrawal symptoms if they do not have their smartphones for a short time. Wow! That is crazy. It is like smartphones are a drug. I can only imagine what people will be like in a couple more generations. I think they will be totally cut off from the natural world.

I am probably just going to have to find an older truck with a standard transmission, and when the engine goes out I will buy another engine. I like the early 1990s Ford pickups with extended cabs. Hopefully I can change the oil and spark plugs on one of those.

I'm refurbishing my 1992 4x4 F250 extended cab diesel right now. I've put all new glow plugs, controller, brakes, pads, rotors, drums, wheel cylinders, bearings and AC. I've got new factory bumpers and looking for factory hub caps and tail gate. I'm not going to restore it to new but I'm planning on doing it right and using as a daily driver again.

If a 94' tailgate is the same, I've got one that was in good shape last time I looked at it.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 am

Dave wrote:The wife and I have been talking about a smaller SUV all wheel drive. One day we were in town and had some time to kill. Went to 4 different dealers just window shopping. All of the SUV had a backup camera. We were told you can't buy one without it. I asked if they still had mirrors?

My wife went from a Suburban to a Subaru Outback, and really likes it. It has all the safety bells and whistles....even puts you back in your lane and stops if you are going to hit something. Not real sure that I like all of that, but her insurance is less than half of what it was for the Suburban, and the Outback gets twice the mileage.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:03 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

My wife went from a Suburban to a Subaru Outback, and really likes it. It has all the safety bells and whistles....even puts you back in your lane and stops if you are going to hit something. Not real sure that I like all of that, but her insurance is less than half of what it was for the Suburban, and the Outback gets twice the mileage.

Back up cameras are the best thing since sliced bred. Don't knock it until you try it.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:28 am

I am helping a widow lady at church sell her husbands 88 F-150 with a 300 6 cylinder for 3k has 70k original miles.
Perfect shape not a dent on it.
It was gone first day the add ran some guy from up around Dallas coming to get it today.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:50 am

Funny I remember things different. I remember all the little tinkering work it took to keep a vehicle running. Points, condensor, plugs, carb rebuilds, drum brakes, bias tires, repacking greasy wheel bearings, engines wearing out at 70k miles etc.

Got a car that just turned 173k miles and other than a couple sets of tires, and 2 sets of front pads and 1 set of rears (which can be changed in half an hour) I haven't touched a thing. Can go 5k miles between oil changes and not use any oil, and the drained oil is as clean as the new oil.
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:28 am

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Funny I remember things different. I remember all the little tinkering work it took to keep a vehicle running. Points, condensor, plugs, carb rebuilds, drum brakes, bias tires, repacking greasy wheel bearings, engines wearing out at 70k miles etc.

Got a car that just turned 173k miles and other than a couple sets of tires, and 2 sets of front pads and 1 set of rears (which can be changed in half an hour) I haven't touched a thing. Can go 5k miles between oil changes and not use any oil, and the drained oil is as clean as the new oil.

I agree before detergent gasoline and oil by 60k miles I have often wondered how the lifters and valves moved much less worked.
Within two or three years after buying a new GM prouduct here it would be halfway rusted out.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:57 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I will NEVER use vegetable oil in anything again. I gave a MF35 tractor away because I and let it sit all winter with vegetable oil in it, what a sticky nasty mess that was. But I do run used engine oil and hydraulic oil cut 50% with offroad diesel fuel in everything but my new tractor. At one time I burned straight oil or hydraulic oil and purged the system, but at a 50 - 50 ratio there's no need to even purge the fuel system. At this point and time of my life I need to just buy my diesel fuel and not worry about the oil company thieves ripping me off....but I can't.

Yeah, it could be a problem if you allow vegetable oil to sit for a long time. It will get sticky.

You could have mixed vegetable oil with regular diesel fuel as you are doing with hydraulic oil. You can also mix vegetable oil with about 10% gasoline to make it easier to use.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I am helping a widow lady at church sell her husbands 88 F-150 with a 300 6 cylinder for 3k has 70k original miles.
It was gone first day the add ran some guy from up around Dallas coming to get it today.

It seems I am not the only one who just wants a regular truck.

That 6-cylinder engine could not pull much, though.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Funny I remember things different. I remember all the little tinkering work it took to keep a vehicle running. Points, condensor, plugs, carb rebuilds, drum brakes, bias tires, repacking greasy wheel bearings, engines wearing out at 70k miles etc.

What year and make of car did you do all the tinkering on and stopped running at 70,000 miles?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:

Back up cameras are the best thing since sliced bred. Don't knock it until you try it.

Best thing ever for hooking up a bumper hitch trailer.
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Bullitt wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I am helping a widow lady at church sell her husbands 88 F-150 with a 300 6 cylinder for 3k has 70k original miles.

It seems I am not the only one who just wants a regular truck.

That 6-cylinder engine could not pull much, though.

Those old 300 six’s were some low torque pulling machines.
That was a very popular gasoline engine in this part of the world for towing.
Most came with a four speed tranny with a granny gear.
Diesel motors didn’t come in trucks back then. They were unheard of until the 80’s.
I think Ford was first with a non turbo 6.9, needed a mile to a mile and a half to pass pulling a cattle trailer.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Bullitt wrote:

What year and make of car did you do all the tinkering on and stopped running at 70,000 miles?

Motor oils really started the anti corrosion and detergent race in the 80’s.
It was certain death to many vehicles 70’s or earlier that had been run on non-detergent oil.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Bullitt wrote:What year and make of car did you do all the tinkering on and stopped running at 70,000 miles?

I had a late 70's ford with a 351 in it at at ~70K miles the lobes had worn off the cam and the motor was in need of a total rebuild. That was considered "normal" for the era.

"Back in the day" it was a rarity to see a vehicle still on the road with 200k+ miles on it. Now 200K is nothing for a vehicle and I see lots with 300 and 400K miles even with minimal maintenance and upkeep.

A buddy of mine took a 5.3L out of a chevy truck with 200K miles on it, tossed a turbo pushing 12lbs of boost and makes 600hp and he never touched the motors internals, don't try that with an old carbed motor without some serious work. And to top it off it still gets 18-20mpg in the S10 chassis that its in, a 600hp motor from "back in the day" would be lucky to get 5mpg.
2 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm

I have a 1972 F250 4x4 with a 300 6 cylinder and a 4 speed. The fuel tank is in the cab behind the seat, government regulations weren't very tough back then.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”