Kill it or let it run

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Kill it or let it run

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:48 pm

ohiosteve wrote:Newer mack trucks have a nice feature, if you shut it off hot it will continue running until the turbo cools off.
They also mute the radio when you shift into reverse. That feature I do not like.

Probably so you can hear all the cussing and yelling going on.. :cowboy:
3 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:45 pm

It's not enough for everybody else to here your back up beeper but they want you to have to listen to it too.
1 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:Great life span if you let it idle, if it's not go to be long enough to let the engine cool while shut off.
I know it's not a truck, but we let our tractors, and combines idle for about a 1/2 hour at the end of the day, and don't shut them off if it's shorter than 45 mins off time (unless we have to work on something of course).
Main thing is to let the turbo cool down, and give it enough time to contract before shut down, and restart.

I had them fire up and idle an engine last week when it was real cold. Checked the oil and it was way over full. Mechanic said I shouldn't have idled it like that and should have ran it same as I would if it does under a load. Basically full speed or nothing even if I just crank it on a cold morning. Never heard of that. We have four 3512 Cats and all but one has a cool down feature that runs for about 15 minutes and then shuts it off.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:49 pm

don't let that mechanic touch anything you value..hes trying to make money when you score all the liners
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:39 pm

ohiosteve wrote:Newer mack trucks have a nice feature, if you shut it off hot it will continue running until the turbo cools off.
They also mute the radio when you shift into reverse. That feature I do not like.

Probably so you can hear screaming as you're running someone over :P
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:Great life span if you let it idle, if it's not go to be long enough to let the engine cool while shut off.
I know it's not a truck, but we let our tractors, and combines idle for about a 1/2 hour at the end of the day, and don't shut them off if it's shorter than 45 mins off time (unless we have to work on something of course).
Main thing is to let the turbo cool down, and give it enough time to contract before shut down, and restart.

I had them fire up and idle an engine last week when it was real cold. Checked the oil and it was way over full. Mechanic said I shouldn't have idled it like that and should have ran it same as I would if it does under a load. Basically full speed or nothing even if I just crank it on a cold morning. Never heard of that. We have four 3512 Cats and all but one has a cool down feature that runs for about 15 minutes and then shuts it off.
diesel slobber.....
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”