6.7 Fords

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
cfpinz
GURU
GURU

6.7 Fords

Postby cfpinz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Anyone here with any experience with the newer 6.7 Ford diesels? Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: 6.7 Fords

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 pm

cfpinz wrote:Anyone here with any experience with the newer 6.7 Ford diesels? Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks.

Best motor since 7.3's IMO so far but like any of these newer ford diesels if it breaks dig real deep in your pockets.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:35 pm

From what I read the 2015 and newer models are the ones to have. Better turbo design and the bugs have been worked out.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:45 pm

6.7 is a fuel hog compared to the Cummins, 17.2 is the best mpg I saw and that was on the back roads at 65 mph or less. On the highway at 85 mph I got 13.9 mpg. I think the 6.7 is a good engine and they definitely have the power.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:54 pm

If fuel economy is your yardstick drive a Prius.
3 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 pm

A good read I thought........It seems what few problems they had are getting worked out......if I was buying new it would be what I like....Dodge and Chevy are just as good. As Sky said when you have problems and they will happen expect it to cost.

https://www.littlepowershop.com/ford-6- ... and-fixes/

Ford 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Common Issues, Problems, and Tips

Ford introduced the 6.7 Powerstroke engine in the 2011 model year F-Series and we all wondered how the diesel engine they built completely in house would fair. After a good five years of being in use, they are holding up great. It’s not to say they don’t have a few issues here and there, but overall they are solid engines. We will continue to update this article as we experience new issues with them. But here is what we know so far.

Radiator failure: We see this issue mostly on the early 2011 trucks, so Ford may have fixed the issue. The 6.7 Powerstroke trucks have two radiators. The primary radiator (closest to the engine) develops a leak where the plastic tank is crimped to the metal center. We usually upgrade them to a Mishimoto all aluminum welded radiator when this happens. Replacing the radiator isn’t a terrible job, but takes a few hours to complete. There isn’t any other fix short of replacing the radiator at this time.

6.7-powerstroke-turbo.jpg

Turbo Failure: One of the biggest issues the 6.7 Powerstroke engines suffered from was turbo failure. The turbo on these trucks is a fairly complicated unit. The best way to simply describe it is that they built a single shaft turbo that works the same way a compound turbo setup does. It has one exhaust housing and wheel, but two compressor housings and wheels on the other end. It basically works like a twin setup by redirecting the airflow from the first wheel to the second to be compressed again. This raises the volume of air that the single charger can create and provides ample airflow for good power. The 2011-2012 trucks had the most turbo issues. The bearings would fail. In the early production models, they used ceramic bearings that often failed. The updated replacement turbo now has steel bearings which seem to be holding up pretty well. We are a big fan of the ATS upgraded turbo kit though if you want better performance and reliability.

Random Sensor Failure: We have had a few trucks in with a failure of one of the four exhaust sensors that will put the truck in a limp mode. This is usually a fairly simple diagnosis as a code will set for the specific out of range sensor. Simply replace that sensor and you are back on the road.

Turbo Coolant Inlet Leak: A few trucks have come in with slight coolant leak up on the top of the engine usually towards the driver’s side. Most often it is the turbo coolant inlet fitting that leaks. You have to remove the upper intake to get at it. Replacing the fitting and line fixes the issue and is relatively easy to do.

Plugged 6.7 Powerstroke EGR Cooler

EGR System Issues: The egr coolers are actually pretty robust on these trucks and we haven’t seen anywhere the issues we did on the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke trucks. The main issue seems to be the cooler getting clogged with soot. It will usually throw a P0401 that won’t clear even though everything in the egr system seems to be functioning properly. The fix is to replace the egr cooler. Luckily they are so much easier to replace than previous engines.

DPF/DEF/EGR System Deletion: For racing and off road applications it is possible to delete these systems with the proper programming. A DPF deleted 6.7 Powerstroke diesel runs extremely well. The programming and parts are available to remove these systems for all the 6.7 Powerstroke trucks right up to the current model year although it is not legal to operate these vehicles on public roads with the emissions removed. If you have a race application that you need parts to do this, please contact us.

Also another good site..as I use to read often....not as often recently.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:42 pm

cfpinz wrote:Anyone here with any experience with the newer 6.7 Ford diesels? Good, bad, ugly?

Thanks.

Define "newer". You know my saga :bang:. But completely happy with my gasser - except it doesn't fire up like a diesel and I feel the need to lean over the steering wheel & "help" it up an incline. All drama aside, I'd say good & go for it.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks.

... emphasis on the bad and ugly. They run good when they run. Look sharp too.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SmokinM » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Come on back to the good stuff Cfpinz! They have a ton of power, my brother is running two of them the first he bought is getting towards 200k with no issues period. Wish they still sold it with a stick shift but the auto trans is tuff and tow haul brakes well. You will like having a truck that pulls like a beast but in a straight line!
0 x

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Good engine mated to IMHO the best transmission out of the big three. The 6R140 makes me wonder why I ever liked manual transmissions.
0 x
There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

Blue924.9
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Blue924.9 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 pm

The company I work for has one with a service truck. Valve dropped at 90k and it got a new engine. Now at 180k turbo is out and transmission is slipping
0 x

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby fence_it » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:04 pm

The 6.7 pstroke is one of the better diesels Ford has ever offered. Definitely plenty of snot. I think the 2018's are at 450 hp and 935 torque. 6.7 Cummins only at 385hp and 930 torque. Their have been some turbo issues but I think that was limited to the earlier models?

They are not popular around here, the 6.0 really destroyed Ford's reputation here as far as diesel pickups go. Everybody who needs a pickup for work seems to be using the Ram with the Cummins, with the exception of some of the big companies using the gasser Fords and Chevy's.

An inline 6 engine is superior to a V8 in many ways. The inline configuration allows for a longer stroke which increases torque at low rpm's. Maintenance/repairs are often easier and the engine overall is just more naturally balanced and smoother compared to a V8. Much fewer moving parts and a lot simpler construction. There is a reason most big rigs and equipment have I-6's in them. V8's have a natural imbalance due to their configuration and are much more difficult to work on,(try removing a turbo on a 6.7!) along with having worse fuel economy when compared to an inline 6.

The 6.7 Cummins is a tried and true engine that's been in production since 2007. Nearly all common issues are emissions related. If I had a choice between the two I would certainly choose the Cummins. The Duramax is not even worth mentioning for several reasons. Around here, if you see a trailer being pulled down the road, more times than not it is hooked to a Dodge Cummins, that's proof enough for me.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:37 am

Blue924.9 wrote:The company I work for has one with a service truck. Valve dropped at 90k and it got a new engine. Now at 180k turbo is out and transmission is slipping

Yup. We have them for company trucks and we literally bought a trailer so I could just haul them in. The worse is the fuel system crap. That's a $12K fix... and good luck getting a straight answer on that deal. They know if they jack you around long enough you will cave because you need the truck back.

Plus Ford is out of hand with their warranty stuff. If you aren't running a "Ford" air filter or fuel filter or any other part no warranty for you.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:18 am

Thanks to everyone who posted. Specially you, jltrent - that was a good read.

I won't deny the Cummins is a better/proven engine, and will not go down that road here. The current truck I own has a Cummins, and is the biggest flaming pile of sh*t I've ever owned. After looking at a bunch of newer Dodges at the trade show last weekend, I'm not 100% convinced Dodge has addressed the issues with their trucks. If Cummins pulled their engines from the Dodge truck lineup, Dodge would go under.
0 x

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:18 am

Blue924.9 wrote:The company I work for has one with a service truck. Valve dropped at 90k and it got a new engine. Now at 180k turbo is out and transmission is slipping

Year model?
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”