Priefert SO4 with Trailer Review

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Priefert SO4 with Trailer Review

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 pm

bse wrote:Brute for what it's worth I never take the Palp cage off. Maybe I got lucky but pull both of them that way, hitch heighth will make a difference.

You have better luck with the hitch high or low?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Mine came with absolutly crap tires also. It doesn’t get pulled real far very often, so not a major issue. I recommend welding a pipe inside the frame of the chute where the brackets attach. Mine bent in from the pressure. Beat the bends out and welded a tight fitting pipe in, problem fixed. I like the setup pretty well. Very easy to move around by my self.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Hitch is just on bumper of old 1/2 ton ford, I rolled the receiver part on the carriage a little to level it out on that truck, have pulled it with my 1 ton, 3 inch drop
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:34 pm

I have gotten to use the chute quite a bit now and I'm over all very happy. The chute works great. No complaints other than the slick floor. The trailer is what it is. It pulls ok 30-40mph. If I go very far I load it all up on a bigger trailer with the mule. The palp cage has to be carried separate. With just the chute, no cage, I can move it easily by myself.

The auto catch is pretty handy. Its about 50-50 on catches. A lot has to do with the cattle.

Got the girls ready to go this morning for their blind date next month. Here is the auto catch in action. Fist video is a miss. Second is about as good as it gets.

https://youtu.be/BnlG94IpFrM

https://youtu.be/LP6gcw8V2I4

1 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:24 pm

Looks good. looks like you are making good use of it. As with most things familiarity with it and setting up right will have it working right most times.

Ken
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:08 pm

That one in the chute that is next in line seems to be watching to make sure you know how to work this new piece of machinery.

The floor will not be as slick after you run a few dozen head. One other observation, you have the squeeze area adjusted down to where it is pretty narrow. Maybe a wider spacing will allow the catch to work better. Seems to me to be a little tight for those bigger cows.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:32 pm

bird dog wrote:That one in the chute that is next in line seems to be watching to make sure you know how to work this new piece of machinery.

The floor will not be as slick after you run a few dozen head. One other observation, you have the squeeze area adjusted down to where it is pretty narrow. Maybe a wider spacing will allow the catch to work better. Seems to me to be a little tight for those bigger cows.

She photobombed my pic. :)

I've ran about 60 head thru it so far. It did see to not be as slick on the heifers today. We will see how it is when I get done with the spring vaccinating.

Its surprising how big the chute actually is. I had the handle squeezed all the way down to grab those heifers and it was on the 3rd notch from the outside. If I was another notch out they would have been a little loose. With the Brahmans I try to keep the bottom as narrow as possible and squeeze them asap so they don't lay down on me. Most of the cows need it to be one notch in to squeeze them good. It definitely moves the cattle off center when you slide in to that 3rd one . It cocks their head to the side of their body. Your probably right. It does seem to make it easier for them to slide back.

It would be nice if the width adjustment was on the opposite side of the squeeze side or if both sides squeezed. Not sure how that would work with the side open though.
0 x

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 pm

I pull my S04 at 55 mph on a regular basis without any issues. The trick is picking the right hole on the front of the chute and only running 12 lbs of pressure in the tires. I use the third hole from the top, and the tongue is tilted down a little. I think you would find it a LOT easier hooking the wishbone trailer up if you put two or three PT 2x8 boards under the chute when you drop the chute. One man can easily hook it back up. Yes, the tires suck. I changed them out with a set of tires off my old Jeep. Low air pressure is key. 12 pounds. Works great now.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:04 pm

I'll try pinning it lower and see what happens. Thanks
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”