Ford 961

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Ford 961

Postby j_20 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Looking at a ford 961, it looks good, runs good, and the price is right. It is a NF but that doesnt really bother me I dont plan on putting a loader on it. Anyone here have anything to say about em? Its main job would be a little driveway work and pulling the feed wagon probably nothing to heavy. I've been wanting a old ford for a while but it has to be somewhat useful.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Ford 961

Postby greybeard » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:20 pm

What does 'NF' indicate?
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:08 pm

greybeard wrote:What does 'NF' indicate?

Narrow front.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:09 pm

OK, thanks.. I usually refer to that as tricycle.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Of that age Ford, that's the one to have IMHO. Most horsepower, and parts still very available. It'll carry a roll no problem. You may never need to, but it could be handy.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:18 pm

I was wondering if it would I know factory specs it at 1250 on rear lift but I thought I once saw a guy moving a bale with what looked to be a 900 series from the road.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm

greybeard wrote:OK, thanks.. I usually refer to that as tricycle.

Same here.. However, I like those tractors just don't like them on hills.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 pm

No hills on my place otherwise I would want a wide front, but being flat it doesnt bother me to much.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:29 pm

I've always been in to antique tractors. They are really falling out of favor though. Ideally, people would want one like they grew up on. Not many from that generation went back to the farm, to have a place for an old tractor or even a need for an old tractor. Tractor like that would be useful on a little hobby operation. Problem is, those types go on and buy a new compact tractor. Those two things combined have really hurt the market. Lotta things a tractor that size could do to be useful even on my place. Good luck if you get it.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:34 pm

The narrow front and stability issue is over played a little on those old tractors. Yes, it exist, but how stable is a wide front, when it pivots? Center of gravity was too high, and too far forward on "most" of that old stuff.
0 x

j_20
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby j_20 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:37 pm

I like the old ones myself and am partial to the fords, my wife likes red and all we have now is green I still occasionally hear her complaints about selling our 706 or as she says her 706. She wants a 504 or 560 now not fond of either of those myself this ford has a little red on it maybe that will be enough for her haha.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:37 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:

My farm is in hill country. I don't know if I believe this but some of the oldest farmers in this county claim that a tricycle tractor does not turn over any easier than a WF. They claim that the rear wheel settings is all that matters. Old Man Massey was said to have bushhogged this entire farm with a JD tricycle. Acknowledge: I am relating only what I personally have heard these old guys say.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

My farm is in hill country. I don't know if I believe this but some of the oldest farmers in this county claim that a tricycle tractor does not turn over any easier than a WF. They claim that the rear wheel settings is all that matters. Old Man Massey was said to have bushhogged this entire farm with a JD tricycle. Acknowledge: I am relating only what I personally have heard these old guys say.

I could see the reasoning, once a rear wheel comes off of the ground, you're in trouble no matter what is under the front. The front axle on a WF pivots and does not add stability until it reaches the end of it's travel, at which point you are likely at the point of no return.

Of course that is just theory, I have only spent a few hours on a Farmall B NF many years ago.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Well look at 3 wheelers.. there's a reason they stopped making both I never had 1 on a hill so no first hand experience there for tractor wise now 3 wheeler yea they will dump you on level ground
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 pm

We used on for hay in the 80s. Good solid tractor, though ours had the SOS transmission. I loved it as a kid, but dad was the one that had to work on it, not me. As long as it doesn’t have the SOS, it should do what you need.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”