Mud Terrain Tires.Are they worth it?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Re: Mud Terrain Tires.Are they worth it?

Postby cfpinz » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:31 am

I loved the old Mud King radials but sadly they've been discontinued. I use BFG AT's on the daily drivers, but their Mud Terrain's have became much less aggressive in the past couple of generations.

I had to replace a set of tires on one of the Hydrabed trucks this year, and put Firestone M/T's on it. They're a little stiffer in the sidewall than the Mud King's but the tread is good and open, and cleans itself well. That particular truck has Detroit Lockers front and rear, and will take you 99% of the places a 4wd tractor will go.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:03 am

I was a BFG AT believer but a couple of bad tires has me running Toyo AT tires at the moment and there not bad. I don't care for the noise of a MT on the highway, and I'm definitely not mud bogging my nice truck offroad.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:27 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I was a BFG AT believer but a couple of bad tires has me running Toyo AT tires at the moment and there not bad. I don't care for the noise of a MT on the highway, and I'm definitely not mud bogging my nice truck offroad.

What issues have you had with the BFG's? I've used them since the mid-90's and they've been good to me.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:13 am

cfpinz wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I was a BFG AT believer but a couple of bad tires has me running Toyo AT tires at the moment and there not bad. I don't care for the noise of a MT on the highway, and I'm definitely not mud bogging my nice truck offroad.

What issues have you had with the BFG's? I've used them since the mid-90's and they've been good to me.

Balance issues is my only complaint, it took 7 tires till I was happy with the ride. I had the tires balanced by 3 different places. One was the 4 Wheel Parts store and they have a high speed bump balance deal that balances the tires while there still on the truck. When I pay top dollar for a tire I want it to ride smooth at any speed.
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:54 am

JW IN VA wrote:[quote="pricefar BF Goodwrench

Get them at the Chevy dealer?Sorry,couldn't help it. :D :tiphat:

I don't buy anything at a chevy dealer lol
1 x

saltbranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby saltbranch » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:03 am

I like the super swamper tsl radial and bias ply for an aggressive mud tire. Far superior than the old bias 7.00-16 mudders or the ground hawgs from back in the day. They have a narrow version if the wide tires aren't your thing. On my truck I run the BFG AT KO2's with zero complaints. The soil I drive in now is a good combo of sand and mud so the BFG work better and do not dig down as fast as the Super Swampers do in the sand.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
cfpinz wrote:

Balance issues is my only complaint, it took 7 tires till I was happy with the ride. I had the tires balanced by 3 different places. One was the 4 Wheel Parts store and they have a high speed bump balance deal that balances the tires while there still on the truck. When I pay top dollar for a tire I want it to ride smooth at any speed.

I ran BFG AT's for years, couldn't get rid of the dang things. One pair would separate, but the other two would be good so to keep them matched I'd buy another pair, then the older ones would separate. Never did get a set to wear out before they separated. Tire shop did admit it was a problem with them at the time, I think they've since fixed that issue but I still have such a bad taste from it that I doubt if I will ever buy another set.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:44 pm

That is what got us at one point. We had the BFG ATs on literally every vehicle we owned. One year we had I think 2 or 3 separate. Grant it, that was out of 20 tires but was still too many. I tried running them on my truck on the gravel roads but they chipped to pieces and would sand blast the bottom side of the truck.

They have a new style now that is chip proof and holds up really well. Down side is the sizes are some what limited compared to others.

IMO BFG should have never gotten rid of the previous MT design. The KM2s are good tires for serious off road but a little too aggressive for a daily driver that is on the road and highways.

We have BFG ATs on disks and all kinds of stuff... still going strong.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:27 pm

The Fierce tires do well on gravel....that’s all we have around here besides dirt/mud roads. I double checked, and they are 4 point, not 2 like I said.
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 pm

we've been happy with the BFG's here, we find they held up well in the gravel roads compared to a lot of other tires.

Mud tires are useless around here, only have mud for a week or two a year, chain up or drive something else for that time around the farm, main road does get muddy, but not that bad.

Aggressive tires get chewed up way too fast on Dodges.. I ran some Dick Cepek Mountain Cats.. wonder if I got 20,000 miles out of them before they were done for. Now I have a friend that imports straight from China, he gets "Suretracks".. at under $100 USD for a 235/84/16 including tax, it's the cheapest I can get, and they last as good as anything, 10 PR too and never had a flat yet.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:07 pm

jehosofat wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I run in mud every day and use Kanati Mud Hog 31x10.50x15 .

I used to know a guy that could get you a good deal on them, shipping was a b**ch though. :lol:

He had a heck of a deal on them plus took guns as trade. Everyone was happy. Well I am for sure.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:14 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
jehosofat wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I run in mud every day and use Kanati Mud Hog 31x10.50x15 .

I used to know a guy that could get you a good deal on them, shipping was a b**ch though. :lol:

He had a heck of a deal on them plus took guns as trade. Everyone was happy. Well I am for sure.

Screw the tires I wanted to go "crappy, speck, or white perch fishing" or whatever those Bama hillbillies call them.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:50 pm

Yep, me too.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:36 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
jehosofat wrote:

Screw the tires I wanted to go "crappy, speck, or white perch fishing" or whatever those Bama hillbillies call them.

They still bitin', load up, come on.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:46 am

jehosofat wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
kenny thomas wrote: He had a heck of a deal on them plus took guns as trade. Everyone was happy. Well I am for sure.

They still bitin', load up, come on.

On call at work 7 days a week till May 1. But I sure like the idea.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”