LED shop lights

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Re: LED shop lights

Postby Texasmark » Thu May 31, 2018 7:00 am

Stocker Steve wrote:Does using a 4' link cable provide a reasonable spacing distance?

How would you mount them in an unfinished building with exposed rafters?

My shop is 30x50 wood trussed every 5' ft, 12' floor to bottom of the truss. On the trusses with them installed, I wired duplex receptacle outlets along the center of the trusses on the 2x4 the builder used to stabilize the trusses....running along the bottom to keep them from tipping over. The receptacles are daisy chained to a light switch at the entrance door along with a switch for the work bench lights.

I use the chains provided and just use a wood screw to attach the chain to the bottom horizontal span of the truss, centered between the wall and the center of the building. The power cords are only 4' and don't reach but WW sells a 6' 2 wire extension cord for a couple of bucks that will reach over to the duplex.

My lighting density desires are not high enough for me to mount them butt to butt but if you want to you can...daisy chain to your heart's content.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 31, 2018 10:44 am

We still have fluorescent lighting in our shop, 8x4 tube 4 footers.. we're just waiting for the novelty and price of LED's to come down a little.. when they're all on it's 1kw of energy consumption
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:12 pm

ClodHopper37869 wrote:
Ky cowboy wrote:We bought some led bulbs that have the ballast built in. Use the same fixtures just rewired and did away with the ballast.

Do you remember the brand or have you got a link to the vendor ??

No I got them from my cousin. He ordered them from China I think, he was pretty vague. I know he ordered several 100 and has been peddling them. Sorry
0 x

Heraol
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Heraol » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:21 am

I installed a motion sensing wall switch and a single incandescent bulb on the ceiling above the door from the garage into the house. This switch/fixture is independent from the original garage overhead lights and the switch was positioned so it can 'see' people entering the garage from the house, or entering the garage from the exterior man-door. These motion sensing switches are incredibly convenient, especially when your hands are full. They can also work well in hallways, pantries, and large closets, as long as the switch is well positioned and can detect the motion. I have 4 of them in various locations around the house.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:04 am

cfpinz wrote:You wouldn't have a link to the type you used, would you?

I've got the CFL pigtail type in the shop, the ones about the size of a half gallon carton of milk, and have been very pleased with them.

I buy mine off ebay. One is daylight around 6500k (first purchase) and the other 5000k. I have them mixed, alternate sockets for an averaging effect. The 5000k is my preference as it's bright but doesn't make you want to find your sun glasses. They aren't all that pricy considering the wattage reduction and light output when cold, and lifespan and convenience of not having to get on a 12' ladder with an arm full of tubes from time to time.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”