New trunk saw............

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: New trunk saw............

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 30, 2018 6:22 pm

I don't think there was any other issue.. the saw is like new, no sprocket wear, etc.

I definitely won't be taking a couple strokes off the rakers right off the bat like I do with the big saws... The drivers of the picco chain are much shallower than the standard 3/8th, I figure that's the reason.. I think it's an 18" bar
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 30, 2018 6:27 pm

SmokinM wrote:Wish I had your talent. I think I cuss small engines especially weedeaters more than anything other than people's stupidity. Those 346xp saws may be the best saws ever made. Power to weight ratio is incredible. Even the die hard Stihl guys are always amazed when I break it out. I have one in each truck and am always looking for another one just because.

I'm a husky guy by nature, I like the ergonomics better than the stilhs, especially the prehistoric "cinder block" stihls like the 056's... That said, one of my go-to saws is the 044 I picked up for a steal of a deal.. runs awesome, feels good in your hand, and has great power to weight.. I have an 064 as well, its a much bigger saw.. Usually when I need a big saw I'll skip it and get a Husky 288 or 394... I have 5 husky 2100's I need to finish putting together.. them are big brutes!
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Last saw I left in the trunk of a car got me in trouble with the spousal unit when it leaked bar oil all over the place.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed May 30, 2018 7:53 pm

Nesikep wrote:
SmokinM wrote:Wish I had your talent. I think I cuss small engines especially weedeaters more than anything other than people's stupidity. Those 346xp saws may be the best saws ever made. Power to weight ratio is incredible. Even the die hard Stihl guys are always amazed when I break it out. I have one in each truck and am always looking for another one just because.

I'm a husky guy by nature, I like the ergonomics better than the stilhs, especially the prehistoric "cinder block" stihls like the 056's... That said, one of my go-to saws is the 044 I picked up for a steal of a deal.. runs awesome, feels good in your hand, and has great power to weight.. I have an 064 as well, its a much bigger saw.. Usually when I need a big saw I'll skip it and get a Husky 288 or 394... I have 5 husky 2100's I need to finish putting together.. them are big brutes!

I really like the 044 also. Here is mine which is the latter version MS440. It is still dirty from when I cut a bunch of cedar, but a very low hour saw with like new compression.......

0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:10 pm

It looks absolutely filthy JL, I like these posts you do on chainsaws, I learn a lot. I got my old 1970's Farmboss changed over to electronic ignition, it really sings now, just gotta get time to tidy it up a bit needs all new rubber mounts on the handles.

Ken
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:04 pm

no trunk saw here
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed May 30, 2018 9:56 pm

Nesikep wrote:

Stihl 056 sure weren't "prehistoric" or "cinder block". They were a blessing from God. Try getting close up and personal with an 075 for a couple months or worse an 090. Personally if I am cutting firewood I prefer my 066. But I ran those big saws for years and I like it when it doesn't take long to make a cut.
0 x

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Wed May 30, 2018 11:26 pm

callmefence wrote:What would be the difference in a trunk saw and a regular saw??

A saw that you would not lose any sleep over losing it if it sprouted legs and walked off.
0 x
There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 pm

Dave wrote:Stihl 056 sure weren't "prehistoric" or "cinder block". They were a blessing from God. Try getting close up and personal with an 075 for a couple months or worse an 090. Personally if I am cutting firewood I prefer my 066. But I ran those big saws for years and I like it when it doesn't take long to make a cut.

My 064 has an 066 top end and 215 psi compression.. takes a little to start it, but it does run well.. I still reach for the 288 or 294's first, and would definitely take those over an 056.. and I LOATHED working on the 056.. absolute misery to work on
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”