New Truck

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15494
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: New Truck

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 am

I'd hate having to decide on a new truck these days..a lot of options to choose from..though it would be a gas for sure ...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22749
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: New Truck

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 am

cfpinz wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Removing the emissions system doesn’t work if you live in attainment counties in Texas. Can’t pass inspection so no plates.


I've read that there are ways to remove/disable emissions systems that will appear stock, but haven't done it that way myself.


They run emissions test here.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7437
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: New Truck

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:26 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Just put a $4300 turbo on mine. Like I said they are the gifts that keep on giving.


What happened to your turbo?


I can’t answer that with certainty. But here’s my educated guess. The various exhaust components, namely the DPF, restricts enough airflow that you end up with carbon buildup on/in the actuator and then the turbo. They told me that it possibly would only need the wastegate cleaned. Knew I wouldn’t be the lucky. I do know that it’s a result of exhaust system components. DEF also not working at the moment. My original post was a little misleading. The part supplier that the diesel shop is taking their sweet time. They are actually putting the turbo on next week. Power is way off when towing. Took it to RAM dealership and they quoted $8k for a turbo. I told them their breath stank. That’s highway robbery. $4300 made my head hurt. But what do you do? $4300 or $60k. I’m gonna fix it and delete it. 140k miles and I should have already deleted it. I honestly believe that if I had deleted it at the end of warranty that the turbo would have never failed.

A turbo is cheap and easy to replace. A direct replacement turbo out of China is $700, the delete kit with programmer and SS pipe and muffler is $2k. Vincent and I had my truck done in less than 3 start to finish. You want the quiet SS muffler not the free flow, I screwed that choice up.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8089
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: New Truck

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:55 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:My opinion and my opinion only. Ford makes the best TRUCK.


I have not owned a Ford in a long time. I have been running K1500s equipped with air lift bags up to 250 to 300K miles, and then using them for a parts truck. What makes Ford the best truck today?
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4291
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: New Truck

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 pm

$$$$$
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7437
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: New Truck

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:My opinion and my opinion only. Ford makes the best TRUCK.


I have not owned a Ford in a long time. I have been running K1500s equipped with air lift bags up to 250 to 300K miles, and then using them for a parts truck. What makes Ford the best truck today?

The steering and hubs on the front end of 4x4 GM trucks are definitely wear items. And the u joints belong on a tonka toy.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7403
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: New Truck

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I am not crazy about the new diesels and DEF fluid. We are going through the EPA whoas on diesels like we did gassers in the seventies. Took twenty years to get that mess lined out, I don’t have the time for the diesels.
If the government would leave the car makers alone they would pump out diesels that would last forever again. My 95 7.3 is still running the roads and had 400k on it when I sold it.


The DEF is not a big deal people just like some thing to complain about. The thing about buying a diesel IMO is dont baby it. Run it hard, do your maintenance and they are fine.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3671
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Yantis, Texas

Re: New Truck

Postby hurleyjd » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:30 am

cfpinz wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Removing the emissions system doesn’t work if you live in attainment counties in Texas. Can’t pass inspection so no plates.


I've read that there are ways to remove/disable emissions systems that will appear stock, but haven't done it that way myself.


Might ask Volkswagen about fooling the emissions test. Only a matter of time until the changing or disabling the emissions system will get you a fine will be higher than the savings.
1 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13487
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: New Truck

Postby Nesikep » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I am not crazy about the new diesels and DEF fluid. We are going through the EPA whoas on diesels like we did gassers in the seventies. Took twenty years to get that mess lined out, I don’t have the time for the diesels.
If the government would leave the car makers alone they would pump out diesels that would last forever again. My 95 7.3 is still running the roads and had 400k on it when I sold it.

the 7.3 IDI's are probably the reason they went draconian on diesel exhaust laws!


JMJ, Lot of people take off working turbos from their trucks.. Used Holset HE351VE with actuator, usually around 50-100K miles on it, $400.. I have about 3 of them and run one on my truck. Yours could have been rebuilt for FAR less money. And if you're doing a delete anyhow, you could go with a fixed type turbo, also far less money.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: New Truck

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Nesikep wrote:JMJ, Lot of people take off working turbos from their trucks.. Used Holset HE351VE with actuator, usually around 50-100K miles on it, $400.. I have about 3 of them and run one on my truck. Yours could have been rebuilt for FAR less money. And if you're doing a delete anyhow, you could go with a fixed type turbo, also far less money.


Like I mentioned earlier my original post was a bit misleading. Not intentionally. I’ve ordered the turbo. Was supposed to be here two weeks ago. They quoted me $4300. But they don’t have it yet and I haven’t paid for it yet. So I still have options. And I’m most certainly interested in any ideas any of you have. The problem is I have limited knowledge when it comes to engines and turbos. Your proposal sounds pretty good to me. I will try to learn more about what you’re talking about. True Grit also had a pretty good suggestion. I was gonna call him today and talk to him about but I’ve been slammed until about 30 minutes ago.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13487
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: New Truck

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:11 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Nesikep wrote:JMJ, Lot of people take off working turbos from their trucks.. Used Holset HE351VE with actuator, usually around 50-100K miles on it, $400.. I have about 3 of them and run one on my truck. Yours could have been rebuilt for FAR less money. And if you're doing a delete anyhow, you could go with a fixed type turbo, also far less money.


Like I mentioned earlier my original post was a bit misleading. Not intentionally. I’ve ordered the turbo. Was supposed to be here two weeks ago. They quoted me $4300. But they don’t have it yet and I haven’t paid for it yet. So I still have options. And I’m most certainly interested in any ideas any of you have. The problem is I have limited knowledge when it comes to engines and turbos. Your proposal sounds pretty good to me. I will try to learn more about what you’re talking about. True Grit also had a pretty good suggestion. I was gonna call him today and talk to him about but I’ve been slammed until about 30 minutes ago.

one place to start is "Turbo lab of america", they're based out of Virginia I think?
Here's their Ebay store, This is their upgraded turbo, 67mm compressor and turbine compared to 60mm stock, really makes a big difference, especially at the top end, may need tuning to make it really work though... Listing is without actuator, I'd recommend requesting one that has it installed and calibrated already... Price is a very far cry from what you've been quoted

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HE351VE-Turbo- ... Sw6T9ay8P7

Installation is pretty easy, can do it in an afternoon or so without sweating it.. nothing too complicated about it.. 15mm wrench for the turbo-manifold bolts, 11mm deep socket for the exhaust connection and the intercooler, 10mm socket and short extension for the oil drain.. couple misc other ones for the coolant lines and oil feed, probably have to move the air filter out of the way, etc.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3525
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: New Truck

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:50 am

Nesikep wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Nesikep wrote:JMJ, Lot of people take off working turbos from their trucks.. Used Holset HE351VE with actuator, usually around 50-100K miles on it, $400.. I have about 3 of them and run one on my truck. Yours could have been rebuilt for FAR less money. And if you're doing a delete anyhow, you could go with a fixed type turbo, also far less money.


Like I mentioned earlier my original post was a bit misleading. Not intentionally. I’ve ordered the turbo. Was supposed to be here two weeks ago. They quoted me $4300. But they don’t have it yet and I haven’t paid for it yet. So I still have options. And I’m most certainly interested in any ideas any of you have. The problem is I have limited knowledge when it comes to engines and turbos. Your proposal sounds pretty good to me. I will try to learn more about what you’re talking about. True Grit also had a pretty good suggestion. I was gonna call him today and talk to him about but I’ve been slammed until about 30 minutes ago.

one place to start is "Turbo lab of america", they're based out of Virginia I think?
Here's their Ebay store, This is their upgraded turbo, 67mm compressor and turbine compared to 60mm stock, really makes a big difference, especially at the top end, may need tuning to make it really work though... Listing is without actuator, I'd recommend requesting one that has it installed and calibrated already... Price is a very far cry from what you've been quoted

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HE351VE-Turbo- ... Sw6T9ay8P7

Installation is pretty easy, can do it in an afternoon or so without sweating it.. nothing too complicated about it.. 15mm wrench for the turbo-manifold bolts, 11mm deep socket for the exhaust connection and the intercooler, 10mm socket and short extension for the oil drain.. couple misc other ones for the coolant lines and oil feed, probably have to move the air filter out of the way, etc.


Thank you Nesi. I really appreciate the information. I’m gonna check into it.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: quartermeter and 5 guests