Truck Driver Shortage............

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby jltrent » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:54 pm

The industry reports a growing labor shortage - 63,000 open positions this year, a number expected to more than double in coming years - that could have wide-ranging impacts on the American economy.


http://www.savannahnow.com/news/2018062 ... ne-economy
0 x

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby snoopdog » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:32 pm

America deserves what is coming to it . The trucking industry has abused drivers for the last 40 years . It's always the driver's fault , Whether it's a soccer mom on a phone ,accident , or the guys at the dock having their smoke and joke time, late delivery . There is still money to be made , even with elogs, but you can't be a pansy , when that 10 hours is up you better be pushing in the valves and letting the clutch out .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4289
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:27 am

But I thought there wasn't any jobs for the crying millennials?
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4313
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby Aaron » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:36 am

Huge driver shortage across North America. Jurisdictions have not made it any easier to become or be one either. Always dreamed about getting my Class 1. Nowadays it is a real nightmare to get here. Every time someone dies on the road and a semi is involved, government makes up a new regulation. Have to run like a mad man just to pay for the insurance and registration on truck each year.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13472
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:46 pm

While it's not imminent, automated trucks are going to come around.. Getting into it now hoping for a lifetime of employment in the field might be a bit optimistic.. I'm subscribed to a trucking channel on Youtube and the big fleets seem to not pay well, have huge staff turnover, and poor driver training, which is part of the reason for a lot of bad accidents.... He had a big spiel on why the electronic log books are getting enforced, I think a lot of it was because of port workers being forced to work stupid hours
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3516
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Trucking is close in relation to a cow/calf operation. You’ve got to love it to do it because it’s really “a lot for a little”.

Invest in railroads. Not sure to what degree, but they will make a comeback.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: way out west

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby fence_it » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:46 pm

Self-Driving trucks look to be the future. They would likely still have to have a human supervisor, but there would be a lot less potential for error.

As a young person I would definitely not want to get into truck driving and expect to make a career out of it.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2030
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby ddd75 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:54 am

i'm working for a guy who drives.. he's throwing me money like it grows on trees for renovation work.

another guy just delivered me some stuff and showed me his check for the week.. 8,800.$ fuel and some other things he said take off about 1500 of that.

both driving '99's to be elog exempt.
0 x

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4599
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby HDRider » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:39 am

Since early October, autonomous trucks built and operated by the startup Embark have been hauling Frigidaire refrigerators 650 miles along the I-10 freeway, from a warehouse in El Paso, Texas, to a distribution center in Palm Springs, California. A human driver rides in the cab to monitor the computer chauffeur for now, but the ultimate goal of this (auto) pilot program is to dump the fleshbag and let the trucks rumble solo down the highway.

“This is the first time someone has demonstrated this end-to-end," Embark CEO Alex Rodrigues says. "It showcases the way that we see self-driving playing into the logistics industry.”

https://www.wired.com/story/embark-self ... eliveries/
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:02 am

ddd75 wrote:i'm working for a guy who drives.. he's throwing me money like it grows on trees for renovation work.

another guy just delivered me some stuff and showed me his check for the week.. 8,800.$ fuel and some other things he said take off about 1500 of that.

both driving '99's to be elog exempt.
That fellow must've been extremely proud of that week , what he didn't show you was his road tax payments , insurance payments , maintenance cost and /or truck payments . He also didn't bother to mention the loads he has to take to get to a better freight lane that barely pay the fuel . There is money to be made , but I can assure you , he is not making 400 k a year driving .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1246
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: North Central Texas

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby bird dog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:12 pm

There are some experiments going on where a group of truck run in tandem with only the first truck having a driver. The ones behind are computer controlled and linked to the lead truck.

There is a lot of pent up demand for this in west Texas oil fields where they haul thousands of loads of sand and water on nearly empty roads. The drivers out there make pretty good money but it is west Texas so not the most exciting place to live.
Haz Mat drivers can make $150K easily.
0 x

User avatar
BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby BigBear » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:50 pm

snoopdog wrote:America deserves what is coming to it . The trucking industry has abused drivers for the last 40 years . It's always the driver's fault , Whether it's a soccer mom on a phone ,accident , or the guys at the dock having their smoke and joke time, late delivery . There is still money to be made , even with elogs, but you can't be a pansy , when that 10 hours is up you better be pushing in the valves and letting the clutch out .


Amen! My dad started driving in the mid 70’s when it was still a profession not a job. He made big money in the 80’s. He can’t stand most of the drivers today. Not courteous or professional. Fall out of the cab 400 lbs with sweatpants and sandals on. Or foreign and cants speak a lick of English. I agree with you Snoop, America really deserves this crisis.
1 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby Texasmark » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:56 am

JMJ Farms wrote:Trucking is close in relation to a cow/calf operation. You’ve got to love it to do it because it’s really “a lot for a little”.

Invest in railroads. Not sure to what degree, but they will make a comeback.


Some time ago CSX, which serves the Eastern Seaboard was running commercials on TV. Economy of shipment by rail was published and it was mind boggling what you could ship for what it cost. So I buy some stock because it made a ton of sense along the lines of this discussion.

Just like everything else, the market is run by "herd mentality", not logic or facts, and the fact that you had a great company with great potential, with a great product, stock still followed the herd mentality. Got enough of that and put my $ elsewhere besides the SM.
0 x

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3516
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:08 am

Texasmark wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Trucking is close in relation to a cow/calf operation. You’ve got to love it to do it because it’s really “a lot for a little”.

Invest in railroads. Not sure to what degree, but they will make a comeback.


Some time ago CSX, which serves the Eastern Seaboard was running commercials on TV. Economy of shipment by rail was published and it was mind boggling what you could ship for what it cost. So I buy some stock because it made a ton of sense along the lines of this discussion.

Just like everything else, the market is run by "herd mentality", not logic or facts, and the fact that you had a great company with great potential, with a great product, stock still followed the herd mentality. Got enough of that and put my $ elsewhere besides the SM.


I agree with you and understand completely where you are coming from. It’s a risk. And not all risks offer rewards. But the early bird gets the worm. In this case, should you ever find yourself “leading the herd” then you would stand to benefit much more than the cows at the back end of the line.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: Truck Driver Shortage............

Postby Texasmark » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:22 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Texasmark wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Trucking is close in relation to a cow/calf operation. You’ve got to love it to do it because it’s really “a lot for a little”.

Invest in railroads. Not sure to what degree, but they will make a comeback.


Some time ago CSX, which serves the Eastern Seaboard was running commercials on TV. Economy of shipment by rail was published and it was mind boggling what you could ship for what it cost. So I buy some stock because it made a ton of sense along the lines of this discussion.

Just like everything else, the market is run by "herd mentality", not logic or facts, and the fact that you had a great company with great potential, with a great product, stock still followed the herd mentality. Got enough of that and put my $ elsewhere besides the SM.


I agree with you and understand completely where you are coming from. It’s a risk. And not all risks offer rewards. But the early bird gets the worm. In this case, should you ever find yourself “leading the herd” then you would stand to benefit much more than the cows at the back end of the line.


Exactly the thoughts I had every time I saw an ad for a "hot stock". You know as well as I it's a scam and the big boys have already loaded up on it waiting for the suckers to bite so he can dump it at a big profit leaving the suckers holding the bag....empty bag.

While we are on this subject, I always wondered about investment cos. Human nature says to me that you are most interested in your money. Investment instruments (for a broad term) need to make a profit/living too. Why should you trust someone else to have your money and make financial decisions for you with your money? Never liked that idea.
0 x


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests