wheel hay rake

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: wheel hay rake

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:42 pm

brw wrote:I am looking at a Vermeer VR 1022 with kicker wheels..I have a Vermeer Baler and a great dealer ..any thoughts? Any other brands I need to look at?

My neighbor has got a Vermeer. Not sure of the model number. 2 years old. 12 wheel. It is one hay raking machine. He’s got a Deere 568 baler w/ mega wide head. It will eat anything and everything you feed it. With the Vermeer rake you still have to stop sometimes to let him catch up. From personal experience I have no complaints with the Vermeer rake.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:33 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
brw wrote:I am looking at a Vermeer VR 1022 with kicker wheels..I have a Vermeer Baler and a great dealer ..any thoughts? Any other brands I need to look at?

My neighbor has got a Vermeer. Not sure of the model number. 2 years old. 12 wheel. It is one hay raking machine. He’s got a Deere 568 baler w/ mega wide head. It will eat anything and everything you feed it. With the Vermeer rake you still have to stop sometimes to let him catch up. From personal experience I have no complaints with the Vermeer rake.

With ours you can pretty much go as fast as you can hang on. Can't beat the production of a V rake.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Atimm693 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

With ours you can pretty much go as fast as you can hang on. Can't beat the production of a V rake.

Yep. That’s the way we bale with his equipment. Especially if there’s any hint of rain. Like you say, you can rake with the Vermeer as fast as you can handle it. I’ve seen him bale at 14-15 mph. But the fields are smooth and that 568 is a beast. Baling that fast you better be on the clutch BEFORE the beeper goes off.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:04 am

Looked at the vermeer and its a well build solid rake but I prefer the rakes with the independently mounted and suspended wheels they follow the ground better and also allow for raking rougher ground.

Also the mid capacity style like that vermeer 1022 or say a NH procart, Pequea MidCap, Kuhn SR do a much better job than the low capacity bifold style rakes like that M&W pictured.

For heavy crops a high capacity wheel in front of frame rake is the best but they are also costly and don't have the ability to rake single sided and are harder to road transport.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:35 am

Forgive my ignorance , is the width adjustable , does it require 2 remotes ?
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 am

My vermeer is adjustable and requires only one pair of remotes
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kickinbull » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:51 am

Any thought on what works best, wheel rakes that pull or push hay? Or wheels mounted in back or front of beam? Trying to describe the best way.
0 x

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 am

snoopdog wrote:Forgive my ignorance , is the width adjustable , does it require 2 remotes ?

On the Vermeer you pull pins that lets you adjust the width and angle. The tubes slide in and out and there is a series of holes to match in the outer tube and the inner tube. The angle is no problem but to slide the rake to make it wider is pretty much impossible. When I adjust the width I pull the pin and with a come along attached to the pickup or another tractor I can pull the tubes apart to make it wider. I do not try to go as fast as I can hold on. I found out that the rake will tuck the hay in and make a very respectful windrow. I plod along with the rake with a 4100 Ford in second high and idled down to about 900 rpm.
1 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 am

snoopdog wrote:Forgive my ignorance , is the width adjustable , does it require 2 remotes ?

The only adjustments on the vermeer are windrow width and down pressure. One remote.
1 x

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 am

kickinbull wrote:Any thought on what works best, wheel rakes that pull or push hay? Or wheels mounted in back or front of beam? Trying to describe the best way.

Wheels in front of the frame work best ie: a high capacity rake. Next would be a mid capacity with the wheels behind the frame but mounted up high and the wheels are hung down. Worst is a rake with the frame in front down low at or below the center of the rake wheel.
0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Atimm693 wrote:If you are routinely raking a lot of heavy windrows with it, it may plug now and then, but again, I think that's a problem with all V rakes.

I was curious if that was typical. I don’t own a v rake, but I was considering getting one. I used a neighbor’s rake this year in thick hay, and it was the most aggivating thing ever with it piling up. It was an older one, but I was wondering if this was more typical of certain brands.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 pm

herofan wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:If you are routinely raking a lot of heavy windrows with it, it may plug now and then, but again, I think that's a problem with all V rakes.

I was curious if that was typical. I don’t own a v rake, but I was considering getting one. I used a neighbor’s rake this year in thick hay, and it was the most aggivating thing ever with it piling up. It was an older one, but I was wondering if this was more typical of certain brands.

With mine if the hay is weedy or has something tall like Johnson grass it balls up bad. I keep the hay clean and don't let it get real tall and it works great.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:37 pm

Thick crop is where a high capacity frame behind the wheels shines. They will rake any volume of crop you could possibly want to put into a windrow.
0 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:38 pm

herofan wrote:

Raked these a couple weeks ago. This about the limit of what the Vermeer will handle without plugging up. It's Johnson grass and fescue BTW.

0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 am

i've found a lot of people turn a V rake just like the old bar rakes.. making a 180 degree turn as soon as your done with the row and going back. That turn pulls all that hay, gets caught, and balls it up.

I just run a full spiral all the way around the field.. easier on the rake, the baler, etc. never balls up.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”