Tractor Exhaust Hieght ?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Tractor Exhaust Hieght ?

Postby sstterry » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:25 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I use a rain flapper turned around backwards on all my open station tractors. They work really good at deflecting the exhaust sound away.

Could you post a picture of this setup? It sounds very handy and hearing saving.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 pm

M.Magis wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:My current project tractor came with a stubby aftermarket muffler. After I put a new seat on it, the exhaust is below my head height. If there are no door clearance issues - - how far above you should the exhaust be on an open station tractor?

I prefer mine to exhaust under the tractor.

I have a bottom exhaust on my 3000, and I prefer it for all times of year except hay season. It drags in the wind row while baling and once started a small fire.

My New Holland exhaust by the front tire which is one of the best designs I have seen. My baby Bota does as well in this thicket that is the best place IMO.
Neighbors New Holland exhaust out the top which is a pain from fumes to catching all kinds of crap . It belonged to my running buddy that passed away in 2017. I maintain it for the Mrs.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:58 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:My current project tractor came with a stubby aftermarket muffler. After I put a new seat on it, the exhaust is below my head height. If there are no door clearance issues - - how far above you should the exhaust be on an open station tractor?

I prefer mine to exhaust under the tractor.

I have 2 that do and I like that, and 3 that don't. The cab'd one is right along the right front support member (not in my face) and exhausts at a 45 angle from the direction of travel.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:01 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I use a rain flapper turned around backwards on all my open station tractors. They work really good at deflecting the exhaust sound away.

When I had flappers that's the way I turned mine for the same reasons. Once I got sheds to put them in off came the flappers and on went the pipe tips I mentioned earlier.....got tired of listening to them flapping at me. Grin
1 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:06 am

Why did they stop using rain caps on new tractors? Cheaper?
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 pm

JW IN VA wrote:Why did they stop using rain caps on new tractors? Cheaper?

Exhausts have a near 90 degree turn at the outlet now. Other thing is the shape of the exhaust manifold is such that you can have water in the exhaust manifold and it doesn't get into the engine....somewhat.
1 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”