Stuck PTO Shaft

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Stuck PTO Shaft

Postby sstterry » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:57 am

I have a large piece of equipment with a PTO shaft that is very very difficult to slide in and out. I was thinking that I would pull it apart, clean it really well and coat it with Anti-Seize and put it back together. Is this the best way to get it working again so it will be easier to connect?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Stuck PTO Shaft

Postby M-5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:01 am

pull it apart and clean it good with emory cloth or steel wool , Light oil only and fix it where water can not get in while its not in use.
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am

M-5 wrote:pull it apart and clean it good with emory cloth or steel wool , Light oil only and fix it where water can not get in while its not in use.

Would light oil be better that anti-seize? I just worry about the oil attracting crud down the road and gumming it up.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 am

Personally I don't like any lubrication on a PTO shaft it will slide better without it .
If its a piece of equipment that is not used often the light oil helps to reduce rust. biggest culprit is moisture between the shaft and sleeve. WD40 or Remoil is what I spray mine with and then when not in use. devise a hanger so it it parallel with the ground so rain can not enter either end.
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 am

sstterry wrote:I have a large piece of equipment with a PTO shaft that is very very difficult to slide in and out. I was thinking that I would pull it apart, clean it really well and coat it with Anti-Seize and put it back together. Is this the best way to get it working again so it will be easier to connect?

Might just be the plastic shields and not the shaft. Sometimes the European type shafts will wear and when pushed back they bind. Might inspect for this. I have had the two lobed shafts get to the point that you cannot pull them apart if slammed past the wear points on the shaft.
1 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am

I like anti-sieze mixed with motor oil on any splined shaft. About 75%/25%
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 am

If there are no kinks, etc in the shaft, best thing to do is first wire wheel it clean, then I just put motor oil on it, remove when not in use, reoil before next use
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Problem I have had is if the shaft has been slightly twisted. Only cure is a replacement.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Anti-seize can get gummed up pretty good over time, especially the grey stuff. Either cut it with oil to thin it like mentioned above or use motor or wd40 or some thing. Your really just trying to prevent rust IMO... not really lubricate it to make it move easier.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 pm

sstterry wrote:I have a large piece of equipment with a PTO shaft that is very very difficult to slide in and out. I was thinking that I would pull it apart, clean it really well and coat it with Anti-Seize and put it back together. Is this the best way to get it working again so it will be easier to connect?

Probable time to take the shaft apart and the covers also . A shaft that will not telescope back and forth easily will put undue strain on the U-joints on the shaft. And in a sharp turn it will actually push in on the PTO shaft on the tractor and will cause damage.
1 x

Chris H
GURU
GURU

Postby Chris H » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:55 pm

In 2015 I started farming on my own. Everything was working OK that year. The next year when I was servicing the hay equipment I had several implements that had sticky PTO shafts. I ended up pulling them apart and using emery cloth on them, along with diesel to cut through the grease & dirt. I even used a tooth brush on the tractor side and the coupler on the shaft to clean it. Several of my shafts have grease zerks so I just wiped them all down with the grease from the grease gun before reassembling them. The ones with zerks get a couple shots when greasing everything. The only issue I have now is sometimes the shaft will slide apart when not hooked up. But at least everything moves easily!
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm

I use permatex copper antiseize it’s not cheap.
Doesn’t take much good stuff. It’s so wet and humid here the pto shafts will rust.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:13 pm

This is a subject that will absolutely make you lose your religion , especially one that just sticks a little bit , you know , right at the pto shaft, slides freely everywhere else AAARRRRGGGGHHH!
3 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:41 am

Caustic Burno wrote:I use permatex copper antiseize it’s not cheap.
Doesn’t take much good stuff. It’s so wet and humid here the pto shafts will rust.

we have the opposite problem, so dry and dusty anything grease based turns into something like tar...

I do use copper antiseize on EVERY bolt on anything else though.. especially on road vehicles
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 am

Nesikep wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I use permatex copper antiseize it’s not cheap.

we have the opposite problem, so dry and dusty anything grease based turns into something like tar...

I do use copper antiseize on EVERY bolt on anything else though.. especially on road vehicles

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01606TC ... Mwebp_QL65
Best stuff for preventing corrosion and gauling that I've found so far.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”