Tractor Oil Life ?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Tractor Oil Life ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:58 pm

In the summer I run mostly straight 30 or 40 wt. oil (older tractors) or 15W-40 oil (newer tractors). I notice after about 75 hours on the multi wt. that the low pressure idiot light stays on for 3 to 4 seconds after starting.

Is the 15W-40 oil breaking down that quickly? Would I be better off going to a straight weight oil, or up to 20W-50 oil?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Tractor Oil Life ?

Postby Atimm693 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:19 pm

What kind of filters are you running? Might be faulty drainback valves.

I use 15W-40 all year in everything and have never had an issue. 500-600 hour interval.

Thicker oil would just make it worse IMO.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:29 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:In the summer I run mostly straight 30 or 40 wt. oil (older tractors) or 15W-40 oil (newer tractors). I notice after about 75 hours on the multi wt. that the low pressure idiot light stays on for 3 to 4 seconds after starting.

Is the 15W-40 oil breaking down that quickly? Would I be better off going to a straight weight oil, or up to 20W-50 oil?
That should not happen. The pump, pickup screen, filter IMO would be more to blame that the oil. With the multi-weight oil it should flow better that straight, especially as the climate changes. Did you ever get the Hydro problem figured out as you thought that was the oil too?"
Last edited by jltrent on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:29 pm

In all my diesels I religiously use Rotella 15w-40 and change oil and filter every 100-125 hrs depending on how hard I’ve been working it. Add a quart of Lucas in my truck but never tried it in tractors.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:34 pm

One more thing Steve. I’ve got a Deere 6115. Oil light would come on, go off, and anything in between. I unscrewed the sending unit and checked it with a manual gauge. Everything was good.

Long story short, it had some kind of filter on the side of the block that wasn’t even mentioned in the owners manual. Deere mechanic told me about it. Got one. Changed it out. (PITA bc of loader and exhaust). Problem solved. I don’t even know what it’s called or what it does. May not be your problem but maybe this will help someone.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:42 pm

:cboy: A thicker oil might help oil pressure on a hot engine. But not so on cold start. You got other trouble.
The idiot light saves another.... :D
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:09 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:One more thing Steve. I’ve got a Deere 6115. Oil light would come on, go off, and anything in between. I unscrewed the sending unit and checked it with a manual gauge. Everything was good.

Long story short, it had some kind of filter on the side of the block that wasn’t even mentioned in the owners manual. Deere mechanic told me about it. Got one. Changed it out. (PITA bc of loader and exhaust). Problem solved. I don’t even know what it’s called or what it does. May not be your problem but maybe this will help someone.

Edited to add: Its called a crankcase exhaust filter, or a blow by filter. Then again don’t know what kind of tractor you have but may be something as simple as this
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Light does not come on with fresh oil, so oil is a factor.
It is a JD 5075 engine with 3000 high RPM clock hours on it. I know some older engines with lots of clearance take time to build up pressure, but would not think it is heavy oil time already.
Will look for a crankcase exhaust filter. Thanks.
Last edited by Stocker Steve on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Stocker Steve

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:11 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Light does not come on with fresh oil, so oil is a factor.
It is a JD 7500 engine with 3000 high RPM clock hours on it. I know some older engines with lots of clearance take time to build up pressure, but would not think it is heavy oil time already.
Will look for a crankcase exhaust filter. Thanks.

If it’s a Deere 7500 tractor then it probably just runs out on the ground. No filter. If it’s 7500 engine then that’s over my head. Not sure but I think the crankcase exhaust filters are part of all the fairly recent emissions crap.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”