Weed Wiper

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN

Weed Wiper

Postby sstterry » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:52 am

I saw one of these at the auction jltrent mentioned in his post. Has anyone used one of these and if so do they work as well as simply spraying on pastures?
0 x

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby jltrent » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:56 pm

sstterry wrote:I saw one of these at the auction jltrent mentioned in his post. Has anyone used one of these and if so do they work as well as simply spraying on pastures?
It doesn't take but a little roundup to kill most weeds/Johnson grass. Set it just above the grass line and a couple years of applying will really thin the weeds and Johnson Grass. Spraying is better, but spraying will more than likely kill clover etc. and the wick want.
0 x

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby sstterry » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:57 pm

jltrent wrote:
sstterry wrote:I saw one of these at the auction jltrent mentioned in his post. Has anyone used one of these and if so do they work as well as simply spraying on pastures?
It doesn't take but a little roundup to kill most weeds/Johnson grass. Set it just above the grass line and a couple years of applying will really thin the weeds and Johnson Grass. Spraying is better, but spraying will more than likely kill clover etc. and the wick want.

Thanks, did you go to the Auction?
0 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17051
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:01 pm

I tried a weed wiper here years ago. It worked 'ok' but I found I really had to make 2 runs with it for it to even work 'ok'. One in each direction to get the herbicide on both sides of the plant foliage.
I was wiping Remedy and 2,4D on JG and wooley croton for the most part.
I think maybe in a row crop scenario where the weeds are up above the just emerged crop, they would work pretty good.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

kucala5
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:43 am
Location: Arkansas

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby kucala5 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 pm

IMO, don't waste your money. Spraying is much more effective.
0 x
Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby jltrent » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:09 pm

sstterry wrote:
jltrent wrote:
sstterry wrote:I saw one of these at the auction jltrent mentioned in his post. Has anyone used one of these and if so do they work as well as simply spraying on pastures?
It doesn't take but a little roundup to kill most weeds/Johnson grass. Set it just above the grass line and a couple years of applying will really thin the weeds and Johnson Grass. Spraying is better, but spraying will more than likely kill clover etc. and the wick want.

Thanks, did you go to the Auction?


I got there are 8:15A after walking through the flea market right before you get there and stayed until about 2:30P then came home and follow some on the internet the rest. Any tractor in decent shape sold good I thought. It was a very hot day. Did you make it?
0 x

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby sstterry » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:48 pm

jltrent wrote:
sstterry wrote:
jltrent wrote: It doesn't take but a little roundup to kill most weeds/Johnson grass. Set it just above the grass line and a couple years of applying will really thin the weeds and Johnson Grass. Spraying is better, but spraying will more than likely kill clover etc. and the wick want.

Thanks, did you go to the Auction?


I got there are 8:15A after walking through the flea market right before you get there and stayed until about 2:30P then came home and follow some on the internet the rest. Any tractor in decent shape sold good I thought. It was a very hot day. Did you make it?


No, I went to Greeneville and bought some minerals, salt, and chemicals. Then I worked on a Brush Hog and sprayed fence rows most of the day. I went by yesterday and looked at everything on the lot. I did follow a few things on the internet, including Kenny's Hay Roller. It seemed that most things went for more than normal, but I am no expert.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am
Location: TX

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby Lucky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:58 am

We had a 15’ tractor mount model that worked good. I still think having someone come out and spray is the way to go so ended up selling it. Wish I had it from time to time though. It works best for targeting unwanted grass that’s too expensive to kill by spraying.
0 x

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2536
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:16 pm

We bought one last late fall...

Image
Image

It works, but it is a lot of work to get up up and going. We have wiped a bunch of JG, and most has died. If you have a lot of big patches, it works great and is worth the effort. You need to wipe two directions, to get both edges of the leaves....
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17051
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:We bought one last late fall...

Image
Image

It works, but it is a lot of work to get up up and going. We have wiped a bunch of JG, and most has died. If you have a lot of big patches, it works great and is worth the effort. You need to wipe two directions, to get both edges of the leaves....

Is that one gravity or pump pressure fed?
Fabric wrapped or just the little tiny holes in pvc?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
cfpinz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5565
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:11 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby cfpinz » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:12 am

greybeard wrote:I tried a weed wiper here years ago. It worked 'ok' but I found I really had to make 2 runs with it for it to even work 'ok'. One in each direction to get the herbicide on both sides of the plant foliage.
I was wiping Remedy and 2,4D on JG and wooley croton for the most part.
I think maybe in a row crop scenario where the weeds are up above the just emerged crop, they would work pretty good.


I had one for a while. "OK" is about the best way to describe it's performance, and that was on a good day.

And I agree with the row crop correlation.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2536
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:04 pm

greybeard wrote:Is that one gravity or pump pressure fed?
Fabric wrapped or just the little tiny holes in pvc?


It is gravity, and fabric wrapped. The biggest pain is getting the fabric primed. Once it is primed, it works great!
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN

Re: Weed Wiper

Postby sstterry » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
greybeard wrote:Is that one gravity or pump pressure fed?
Fabric wrapped or just the little tiny holes in pvc?


It is gravity, and fabric wrapped. The biggest pain is getting the fabric primed. Once it is primed, it works great!

Where did you get that set up for the Gator? I have a few hills that I can get over with the Ranger but not a tractor.
0 x


Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest