Page 1 of 2

Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 am
by fence_it
How well do they actually work? Got a couple new trailers with them and I'm skeptical. I'm used to manually packing them, usually twice a year as our trailers get 40-50k miles a year on them.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 am
by cfpinz
No complaints with the ones I've owned, other than the fact I tend to overgrease and it winds up all over the wheels.

I tend to give the trailers with them more attention, as it's much more convenient to pop a rubber plug out and grease them than go through the trouble of disassembly.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:51 am
by Brute 23
Ive never understood them. Ive always been told if you pack them right with a quality grease you shouldnt need to add any.

Hopefully some one can chime in on the purpose.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:14 pm
by Caustic Burno
Not a true buddy bearing I run Vault grease on everything I own.
The Vault system for boat trailers in saltwater made me a believer.

http://heritagetrailers.com/products/fe ... vault-hubs

http://www.waymires.com/support_documen ... ctions.pdf

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:42 pm
by skyhightree1
fence_it wrote:How well do they actually work? Got a couple new trailers with them and I'm skeptical. I'm used to manually packing them, usually twice a year as our trailers get 40-50k miles a year on them.


I like them a lot and run on most trailers but I will tell you this if you hit a lot of bumps sometimes they pop out

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:43 pm
by skyhightree1

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:34 pm
by True Grit Farms
Do not use buddy bearings on hubs with electric brakes, other than that I like them.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:31 pm
by fence_it
True Grit Farms wrote:Do not use buddy bearings on hubs with electric brakes, other than that I like them.


Why is that?

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:34 pm
by Nesikep
I would guess the squeeze grease out the inside and that contaminates the brakes.. could be one of my problems with weak brakes right now

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:42 pm
by True Grit Farms
fence_it wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Do not use buddy bearings on hubs with electric brakes, other than that I like them.


Why is that?

There's no real benefit to using buddy bearings if your not going to grease them regularly. The rear hub seal can't hold any pressure so the grease ends up on the brake shoes.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm
by True Grit Farms
Nesikep wrote:I would guess the squeeze grease out the inside and that contaminates the brakes.. could be one of my problems with weak brakes right now

If If you don't want to pull the hubs, squirting brake clean between the drum and backing plate will get you by for a while. I've fought this battle for 20+ with boat trailers. If you don't keep the hub packed full of grease saltwater gets in the bearings, and packing the hubs the grease gets on the brakes. I'd rather have good bearings than good brakes most of the time.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:29 pm
by Atimm693
Real bearing buddies have a relief port that is supposed to prevent blowing grease past the wheel seal.

I think they're better than nothing, but not as good as easy lube spindles, which have the zerk on the spindle, not the cap.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:28 am
by cfpinz
Atimm693 wrote:
I think they're better than nothing, but not as good as easy lube spindles, which have the zerk on the spindle, not the cap.


That's actually what I was referring to, I had forgot about the actual Bearing Buddy assembly - no experience with them.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 am
by Texasmark
I've used them for years on boat trailers. Only had one problem over the years and I may have overpacked it....was running down the highway and it just blew out and disappeared. Other side held.

I don't worry about refilling them as long as the spring loaded disc is centered in the Buddy:

Empty the spring pushes the disc toward the axle. As you install grease the disc pushes against the spring and moves toward you. The spring loading of the disc is what keeps the water out. When you see the disc back against the inner stop it means that the grease has migrated inside the hub and you need to add more. Keep track of it till it quits moving in and your hub will be packed.

Too much grease, aka running the disc all the way out to the stop and continuing to pump grease in can push your inner seal out if the hub is full. That's why I only fill half way on the disc movement.

Re: Bearing Buddies

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 am
by Atimm693
Texasmark wrote:I've used them for years on boat trailers. Only had one problem over the years and I may have overpacked it....was running down the highway and it just blew out and disappeared. Other side held.

I don't worry about refilling them as long as the spring loaded disc is centered in the Buddy:

Empty the spring pushes the disc toward the axle. As you install grease the disc pushes against the spring and moves toward you. The spring loading of the disc is what keeps the water out. When you see the disc back against the inner stop it means that the grease has migrated inside the hub and you need to add more. Keep track of it till it quits moving in and your hub will be packed.

Too much grease, aka running the disc all the way out to the stop and continuing to pump grease in can push your inner seal out if the hub is full. That's why I only fill half way on the disc movement.


There is supposed to be a relief hole on the side of the housing. Once the disc moves past it (just before it bottoms out), grease just runs out of the hole instead of blowing out the seals. That is until the hole gets plugged with crap and dried up grease.