Cleaning a tractor diesel tank

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Cleaning a tractor diesel tank

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:06 pm

We have s JD 2755 and I have been having to blow back in to the tank every so often. Any one have any easy tricks for cleaning out the tank?

Its a plastic tank mounted at the front. I was hoping to not have to take it completely off.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Cleaning a tractor diesel tank

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Take it off completely and was out through the filler. Alternatively keep filling allow to settle and siphon from the bottom using the siphon hose like a vacuum cleaner.

Ken
1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Drain the tank, pour a little diesel back in trying to stir the bottom. Pressurize the tank with a rag and air hose to push the gunk out. Repeat till it looks good.

Their is a drain valve in the bottom of the tank. However I don’t remember how easy it is to get to. Just draining may clear the gunk.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Pressure washer. Rinse and repeat
2 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks. Im trying to finish up a few things before I tear in to removing the whole tank. I poured some stuff in the tank, ran it a couple days, and pumped it out with a big sprayer pump and a 1/2" hose.

I replaced both filters and used a clear one for the in line filter so I could see what its catching.

Have yall taken that fitting out of the side of the tank that holds the down pipe and float? Is it just a half turn deal and it pulls out? Guessing it has a gasket of some sort behind it?

Hind site I should have unscrewed that whole pick out when it clogged and then blew it out on the ground. The way I did it I blew what ever was in it back in to the tank.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:48 pm

you'll get the best results by removing it completely and ideally you'd steam clean it, though a pressure washer could do the job
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Nesikep wrote:you'll get the best results by removing it completely and ideally you'd steam clean it, though a pressure washer could do the job

Agreed and also run a can of biocide through it once a year. The chunks/gunk is probably algae.
0 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:03 am

BigBear wrote:
Nesikep wrote:you'll get the best results by removing it completely and ideally you'd steam clean it, though a pressure washer could do the job

Agreed and also run a can of biocide through it once a year. The chunks/gunk is probably algae.

Algae was my problem.

I am adding that about once a month now. I am algae paranoid now.

1 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:00 pm

I just bought some algecide. cost an arm and a darned leg, little 4 ounce bottle was nearly $40 but it treats 500 gallon.
I know my truck has goop in the tank, and the farm fuel tank probably does as well
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:23 pm

My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame. I tried gently turning on it but it didn't budge. Im going to finish up some things I need to and then get it in the barn so if I break some thing its easy to work on and won't put me in a bind. Hopefully I can wash the tank out thru there and get new parts on it so it can be drained regularly.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Brute 23 wrote:My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame. I tried gently turning on it but it didn't budge. Im going to finish up some things I need to and then get it in the barn so if I break some thing its easy to work on and won't put me in a bind. Hopefully I can wash the tank out thru there and get new parts on it so it can be drained regularly.

Between now and when you get it back to the barn, spray the petcock every time you think about it with penetrating oil. May not help but definitely won’t hurt.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:55 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:My hay bailing man showed me there is a sump plug and petcock on the bottom of the tank you can reach if you stick your hand up thru the frame. I tried gently turning on it but it didn't budge. Im going to finish up some things I need to and then get it in the barn so if I break some thing its easy to work on and won't put me in a bind. Hopefully I can wash the tank out thru there and get new parts on it so it can be drained regularly.

Between now and when you get it back to the barn, spray the petcock every time you think about it with penetrating oil. May not help but definitely won’t hurt.

Good idea. Thanks :tiphat:
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 pm

You’re welcome. Hopefully it will help.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

dwayson
Beginner
Beginner

Postby dwayson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:13 am

I would blast it with dish soap then hose down until clean.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:08 am

Nesikep wrote:I just bought some algecide. cost an arm and a darned leg, little 4 ounce bottle was nearly $40 but it treats 500 gallon.
I know my truck has goop in the tank, and the farm fuel tank probably does as well

I spoke with my fuel supplier, and he assured me that they use the good additives (apparently they have several to chose from) and I do not need to add lube or algecide. What do you think?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”