Junky Equipment

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Junky Equipment

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:03 am

M-5 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I'd rather not have one and contract it out than have junk. If you can't afford that better off not being in business.

Im lucky to get every thing done when all the equipment works and things go half butt right. The bad thing is I actually like working on stuff... just don't have the time.

I couldn't understand what you are saying because the silver spoon in your mouth distorted it.

:lol: I've never even seen a real silver spoon
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:05 pm

Guilty as charged..
I found buying "junk" for cheap isn't going to get you anywhere.. Old Deere 2lungers may be collectible, but they're useless.

We've been buying low hour (under 4000hr) Masseys in good shape, spend 5K (CAD) on them, put a coat of paint on, run them for 10 years and they're still worth more.. I think any "modern" style tractor (good hydraulics, brakes, power steering, etc) that doesn't have a computer will hold its value for a long time.. One of the reasons the JD 3020's are holding value too. Also, lines of tractors that had common parts for a long time helps parts availablity, which makes them more desireable.. The Massey's had the same transmissions for years, the Masseys had the same transmissions for 3 decades.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Nesikep wrote:Guilty as charged..
I found buying "junk" for cheap isn't going to get you anywhere.. Old Deere 2lungers may be collectible, but they're useless.

We've been buying low hour (under 4000hr) Masseys in good shape, spend 5K (CAD) on them, put a coat of paint on, run them for 10 years and they're still worth more.. I think any "modern" style tractor (good hydraulics, brakes, power steering, etc) that doesn't have a computer will hold its value for a long time.. One of the reasons the JD 3020's are holding value too. Also, lines of tractors that had common parts for a long time helps parts availablity, which makes them more desireable.. The Massey's had the same transmissions for years, the Masseys had the same transmissions for 3 decades.

You said it right. I don't mind buying stuff, or even working on used stuff if it will hold its value. I don't like money pits that still aren't worth any thing after you dump money in them. Its about value... not cost.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I'd rather not have one and contract it out than have junk. If you can't afford that better off not being in business.

Im lucky to get every thing done when all the equipment works and things go half butt right. The bad thing is I actually like working on stuff... just don't have the time.

You won’t contract it out around here. Nobody to contract it out to. I can afford a new chute. But is it justified? I’ve got 5 headgates at different locations. Each one will catch and hold a cow almost flawlessly. I can doctor heads, eyes, navels, nuts, and tits. A squeeze would be mighty nice but for me is a “want” not a necessity.

I understand that we are only talking about $3-5k. Not much money. But when you start with nothing like I did you better buy what you need before you buy what you want. Overspending will put you out of business quicker than anything else will.
2 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:55 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:

You won’t contract it out around here. Nobody to contract it out to. I can afford a new chute. But is it justified? I’ve got 5 headgates at different locations. Each one will catch and hold a cow almost flawlessly. I can doctor heads, eyes, navels, nuts, and tits. A squeeze would be mighty nice but for me is a “want” not a necessity.

I understand that we are only talking about $3-5k. Not much money. But when you start with nothing like I did you better buy what you need before you buy what you want. Overspending will put you out of business quicker than anything else will.

Not when your spending other people's money. You sound like a Senator from CA, after all $3-5k is only crumbs.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:56 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Not when your spending other people's money. You sound like a Senator from CA, after all $3-5k is only crumbs.

You totally missed what they were saying TGF.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:36 am

Brute 23 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

You totally missed what they were saying TGF.

It’s more than crumbs to me. That’s why I haven’t spent it. But not on the same level as most equipment.
3 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”