Junky Equipment

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Junky Equipment

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:15 am

Texasmark wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:One exception. I haven’t been able to find a used squeeze chute for much less than a new price. I guess I’m gonna have to buy a new one.

TSC is running $4k for new HD ones. Neighbor spotted 2 HD units, one at local used dealer and other on Craigslist, both $1800 area. So they're out there.

I can buy a new Priefert S04 for $3600. No palp cage. No dolly. As far as used you won’t find them on Craigslist in Middle Georgia. I do see some in Florida and Tennessee occasionally. We have a a Dept of Ag publication called the Market Bulletin. There will occasionally be one in there but they’re usually in N Georgia and unless you can just pick up and leave right then the chute will be gone before you can usually get there. Neighbor bought one from another neighbor that was selling out. S01 w/ cage and dolly. Floor is rusted out. Pd $1800. Offered him his money back. But he declined.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Atimm693 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Bigger newer equipment is holding value here, but the smaller older stuff is not. Too many retirement auctions.

The talking heads sometimes mention buying collectable, or soon to be collectable, equipment that will appreciate. Have you seen any tractors like this?

Deere 20 series. 3020 in particular.

but not 30 series ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:46 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Atimm693 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Bigger newer equipment is holding value here, but the smaller older stuff is not. Too many retirement auctions.

The talking heads sometimes mention buying collectable, or soon to be collectable, equipment that will appreciate. Have you seen any tractors like this?

Deere 20 series. 3020 in particular.

but not 30 series ?

Yeah, 30s and probably 40s as well.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:39 pm

As far as squeezes go, they are fairly regular around here, at a decent price unless you have to have the latest and greatest . I ran one to 350, and got beat out at 400, good solid chute, just old latch technology . The guy didn't take it and when I went back to pick up my other stuff , the auctioneer asked me if I wanted it , for 400 of course , I offered him 300
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:03 pm

i have a like brand new Powder River XL manual i'd sell for 3800.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm

I’ve got a model 91 headgate that I’m gonna put on whatever I find unless I find a Priefert chute that already has the 91 headgate. Type of chute really doesn’t matter to me as long as it’s got a tailgate and squeezes. I really don’t like a rope operated tailgate but I can make do as it’s better than what I’ve got.
1 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:15 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Texasmark wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:One exception. I haven’t been able to find a used squeeze chute for much less than a new price. I guess I’m gonna have to buy a new one.

TSC is running $4k for new HD ones. Neighbor spotted 2 HD units, one at local used dealer and other on Craigslist, both $1800 area. So they're out there.

I can buy a new Priefert S04 for $3600. No palp cage. No dolly. As far as used you won’t find them on Craigslist in Middle Georgia. I do see some in Florida and Tennessee occasionally. We have a a Dept of Ag publication called the Market Bulletin. There will occasionally be one in there but they’re usually in N Georgia and unless you can just pick up and leave right then the chute will be gone before you can usually get there. Neighbor bought one from another neighbor that was selling out. S01 w/ cage and dolly. Floor is rusted out. Pd $1800. Offered him his money back. But he declined.

Michael,
If you see a deal on a Priefert automatic squeeze chute in N. Ga or Tn, let me know. I might be interested.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:19 am

sstterry wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Texasmark wrote:

Michael,
If you see a deal on a Priefert automatic squeeze chute in N. Ga or Tn, let me know. I might be interested.

Sure will.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:53 am

JMJ Farms wrote:I’ve got a model 91 headgate that I’m gonna put on whatever I find unless I find a Priefert chute that already has the 91 headgate. Type of chute really doesn’t matter to me as long as it’s got a tailgate and squeezes. I really don’t like a rope operated tailgate but I can make do as it’s better than what I’ve got.

Figure out what you want and don't want then just wait till a deal comes along on what you want.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:29 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:I’ve got a model 91 headgate that I’m gonna put on whatever I find unless I find a Priefert chute that already has the 91 headgate. Type of chute really doesn’t matter to me as long as it’s got a tailgate and squeezes. I really don’t like a rope operated tailgate but I can make do as it’s better than what I’ve got.

Figure out what you want and don't want then just wait till a deal comes along on what you want.

Been waiting 6 years. I guess the moral of this story is that if I’ve made it the last 6 years without a squeeze then I can make it indefinitely. But boy the times I wish I had one. The headgates do serve the purpose however. Guess it’s like comparing a Fiesta to a Mercedes.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:58 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Been waiting 6 years. I guess the moral of this story is that if I’ve made it the last 6 years without a squeeze then I can make it indefinitely. But boy the times I wish I had one. The headgates do serve the purpose however. Guess it’s like comparing a Fiesta to a Mercedes.

The longer you wait the closer you get to realizing you’ve gone long enough without..... ;-)
3 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

I'll check around, I saw a couple sell in Madison last fall at a Angus dispersal sale. I think a couple sold last January in the big Dothan auction also. Every time a calf snatches it head out of my old WW I tell myself I need to buy a used Priefert. If I buy new it will be an Arrow, there's no manual chute out there as good.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Figure out what you want and don't want then just wait till a deal comes along on what you want.

I'll check around, I saw a couple sell in Madison last fall at a Angus dispersal sale. I think a couple sold last January in the big Dothan auction also. Every time a calf snatches it head out of my old WW I tell myself I need to buy a used Priefert. If I buy new it will be an Arrow, there's no manual chute out there as good.

I’d appreciate that. The biggest reason I’d like a Priefert is due to the fact that I’ve got cows at 3 different farms and the Priefert dolly works good. But I’m sure my welder buddy down the road could fabricate something up for any chute if the price was right.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 am

I'd rather not have one and contract it out than have junk. If you can't afford that better off not being in business.

Im lucky to get every thing done when all the equipment works and things go half butt right. The bad thing is I actually like working on stuff... just don't have the time.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 am

Brute 23 wrote:I'd rather not have one and contract it out than have junk. If you can't afford that better off not being in business.

Im lucky to get every thing done when all the equipment works and things go half butt right. The bad thing is I actually like working on stuff... just don't have the time.

I couldn't understand what you are saying because the silver spoon in your mouth distorted it.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”