Hauling Silage with?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Hauling Silage with?

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:26 am

Does anyone have experience with hauling silage in this type of trailer? Cause of the drought conditions here and cost of what hay can be found, I'm going to buy/haul silage as I need it and feed in conjunction with hay. Before I purchase this trailer, is there anything that should stop me? Also any opinions on Big Tex? Thanks B&G

0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Postby ez14. » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:30 am

Are you hauling chopped feed that your going to pile and ferment. Or feed that's already been fermented?
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:38 am

ez14. wrote:Are you hauling chopped feed that your going to pile and ferment. Or feed that's already been fermented?

I'll be getting it from a buddy down the road as I need it, as he pulls it outta the sock. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 am

Black and Good wrote:Does anyone have experience with hauling silage in this type of trailer? Cause of the drought conditions here and cost of what hay can be found, I'm going to buy/haul silage as I need it and feed in conjunction with hay. Before I purchase this trailer, is there anything that should stop me? Also any opinions on Big Tex? Thanks B&G

B&G I raise my own silage and that trailer is not ideal unless you are going to put sides on it and or buy a trailer with taller sides. I have big tex dump trailer and its been good few things they cheaped out on but overall I like it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=113043&hilit=new+toy
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:50 am

If you are just going to feed with it, load with a loader this one would be lots better, especially the feeding part.

2 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:59 am

jltrent wrote:If you are just going to feed with it, load with a loader this one would be lots better, especially the feeding part.

If I had your wallet id get one :D
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:05 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Black and Good wrote:Does anyone have experience with hauling silage in this type of trailer? Cause of the drought conditions here and cost of what hay can be found, I'm going to buy/haul silage as I need it and feed in conjunction with hay. Before I purchase this trailer, is there anything that should stop me? Also any opinions on Big Tex? Thanks B&G

B&G I raise my own silage and that trailer is not ideal unless you are going to put sides on it and or buy a trailer with taller sides. I have big tex dump trailer and its been good few things they cheaped out on but overall I like it.

Sky, couldn't open your pics. Where I'm getting it is only 5miles away so, I thought i would just haul in small loads as to not have to worry about mold etc. I thought I'd just haul like 4 to 5 ton at a time. But I thought I'd put maybe 1' side boards on it. Then scoop it up and feed it in bale rings and tractor tires. B&G
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
jltrent wrote:If you are just going to feed with it, load with a loader this one would be lots better, especially the feeding part.

If I had your wallet id get one :D

Me too! LOL
0 x

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:13 am

How many head will you be feeding like this?
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:18 am

ez14. wrote:How many head will you be feeding like this?

50 to 60. B&G
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:24 am

If you are not wanting to use the dump bed for something different, you would probably be able to find a used forage wagon for less cost, if that is a factor. I still have a Swartz Forage wagon we used over 40 years ago and it still works fine. They don't make them like that anymore.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:31 am

Black and Good wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

Sky, couldn't open your pics. Where I'm getting it is only 5miles away so, I thought i would just haul in small loads as to not have to worry about mold etc. I thought I'd just haul like 4 to 5 ton at a time. But I thought I'd put maybe 1' side boards on it. Then scoop it up and feed it in bale rings and tractor tires. B&G

Here you go

0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:37 am

Thanks Sky, my thoughts were, with me doing excavating work full time and I sub all my dump trucks, I thought this option would allow me to haul silage as well as use this trailer for other things. B&G
0 x

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:09 am

Black and Good wrote:

50 to 60. B&G

I can't tell exactly how big the trailer is but if you can fit 5 tons in there you should be just fine. That should last you maybe 3 days
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:14 am

ez14. wrote:
Black and Good wrote:

50 to 60. B&G

I can't tell exactly how big the trailer is but if you can fit 5 tons in there you should be just fine. That should last you maybe 3 days

Thanks for the help. It is a 7'x 16' Trailer. B&G
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”