Page 2 of 2

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 am
by skyhightree1
Black and Good wrote:Thanks Sky, my thoughts were, with me doing excavating work full time and I sub all my dump trucks, I thought this option would allow me to haul silage as well as use this trailer for other things. B&G


Yea, Makes sense however i would look heavily at 4 foot sides so you can haul a bunch or atleast 3 foot mine are welded on but of course you can make yours wood so you can take it off my trailer is used just for brewers grain and bread.

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:27 am
by ez14.
skyhightree1 wrote:
Black and Good wrote:Thanks Sky, my thoughts were, with me doing excavating work full time and I sub all my dump trucks, I thought this option would allow me to haul silage as well as use this trailer for other things. B&G


Yea, Makes sense however i would look heavily at 4 foot sides so you can haul a bunch or atleast 3 foot mine are welded on but of course you can make yours wood so you can take it off my trailer is used just for brewers grain and bread.
it's not going to keep very well so depending on the weather he's not going to want to haul more than 3 days worth

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am
by True Grit Farms
That's a nice trailer with good running gear. You don't want one like in Sky's picture, 5 lug running gear won't hold up to tonnage. The small axles and bearings can't withstand 4 or 5 tons of product much less stop it.

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:33 pm
by skyhightree1
ez14. wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Black and Good wrote:Thanks Sky, my thoughts were, with me doing excavating work full time and I sub all my dump trucks, I thought this option would allow me to haul silage as well as use this trailer for other things. B&G


Yea, Makes sense however i would look heavily at 4 foot sides so you can haul a bunch or atleast 3 foot mine are welded on but of course you can make yours wood so you can take it off my trailer is used just for brewers grain and bread.
it's not going to keep very well so depending on the weather he's not going to want to haul more than 3 days worth


Too many variables to say that

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:36 pm
by skyhightree1
True Grit Farms wrote:That's a nice trailer with good running gear. You don't want one like in Sky's picture, 5 lug running gear won't hold up to tonnage. The small axles and bearings can't withstand 4 or 5 tons of product much less stop it.


Mine is for loading up and taking to farms as its much easier to dump small quantities in a pasture with that than with a quad axle dump truck and not to rut it up too bad when its wet or get stuck. and is only got a payload of 5500lbs so no he wouldn't want my trailer but i was showing the sides i have not what to buy

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 pm
by True Grit Farms
skyhightree1 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:That's a nice trailer with good running gear. You don't want one like in Sky's picture, 5 lug running gear won't hold up to tonnage. The small axles and bearings can't withstand 4 or 5 tons of product much less stop it.


Mine is for loading up and taking to farms as its much easier to dump small quantities in a pasture with that than with a quad axle dump truck and not to rut it up too bad when its wet or get stuck. and is only got a payload of 5500lbs so no he wouldn't want my trailer but i was showing the sides i have not what to buy

There's a tool for every job, I was just pointing things out. That's a nice trailer you have Sky. I bought a new 21k pound boat trailer got it home and one of the 14 ply tires was flat, had a dang screw in it in less than 400 miles.

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:47 pm
by skyhightree1
True Grit Farms wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:That's a nice trailer with good running gear. You don't want one like in Sky's picture, 5 lug running gear won't hold up to tonnage. The small axles and bearings can't withstand 4 or 5 tons of product much less stop it.


Mine is for loading up and taking to farms as its much easier to dump small quantities in a pasture with that than with a quad axle dump truck and not to rut it up too bad when its wet or get stuck. and is only got a payload of 5500lbs so no he wouldn't want my trailer but i was showing the sides i have not what to buy

There's a tool for every job, I was just pointing things out. That's a nice trailer you have Sky. I bought a new 21k pound boat trailer got it home and one of the 14 ply tires was flat, had a dang screw in it in less than 400 miles.


Thanks im sick of tires there crap now.. I bought a tractor tire 2 years ago probably has less than 40 hours on it and i walked by it today the tubes coming out the side :devil2: :devil2:

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:52 pm
by True Grit Farms
That will flatten your day.

Re: Hauling Silage with?

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:24 pm
by JMJ Farms
skyhightree1 wrote:Thanks im sick of tires there crap now.. I bought a tractor tire 2 years ago probably has less than 40 hours on it and i walked by it today the tubes coming out the side :devil2: :devil2:


Truck and car tires are pretty good. I quit buying trailer tires bc sometimes they wouldn’t even last a month. I put LT tires on all my trailers that I use regularly now. I try to put used ones on most of them as they spend a lot of time sitting somewhere but used 15s and 16s are about as scarce as hens teeth. Especially a 235/85/16. I snatch up every one I run across. When it comes to tractor tires Firestone is the only way to go. But they sure are proud of them.